The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not walking anything back. Like I said, bring it up in another thread and we can discuss.

And now you have a whole bunch of new teachers, many likely unqualified and very likely not enough to replace all the teachers you just fired. It certainly seems like a good, well thought-out plan.

New teachers....so what

likely unqualified...more so than the ones who don’t believe in science and won’t come back to school?  Aside from not having a teaching degree, you don’t know if they would be unqualified in the subject matter.  

Likely not enough....your opinion 

I agree it’s a good plan but would take some work, coordination, and community help.  Better than being held hostage by anti-science teachers. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

New teachers....so what

likely unqualified...more so than the ones who don’t believe in science and won’t come back to school?  Aside from not having a teaching degree, you don’t know if they would be unqualified in the subject matter.  

These are also just your opinion. Your contempt for teachers is showing though.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

These are also just your opinion. Your contempt for teachers is showing though.

I do find it interesting that not once have you made mention that these teachers I am referencing are anti-science.   Not have you stuck up for the kids getting screwed over.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My wife was a teacher and have said so in the past so have a clue at some point before you spout off more ignorant nonsense. 

I'm also a teacher and don't see much wrong with what you said.

If a teacher doesn't have underlying conditions or is in an at risk group, there really isn't much that should be keeping them from work.  If we expect the cashier at Wal-mart to show up, we better show up too.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I'm also a teacher and don't see much wrong with what you said.

If a teacher doesn't have underlying conditions or is in an at risk group, there really isn't much that should be keeping them from work.  If we expect the cashier at Wal-mart to show up, we better show up too.

We haven’t agreed on much in the past but I appreciate you speaking up since you are someone in the field being talked about.  

Teachers in general do great work without the fanfare.  Good/great teachers are so important to society and should get more praise and I think some more pay.  But these teacher unions in these districts in question are giving the good teachers a bad name.  

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We haven’t agreed on much in the past but I appreciate you speaking up since you are someone in the field being talked about.  

Teachers in general do great work without the fanfare.  Good/great teachers are so important to society and should get more praise and I think some more pay.  But these teacher unions in these districts in question are giving the good teachers a bad name.  

Agreed.  I'm very "pro-union", but I'd have a hard time supporting my local union if they were making me stay home right now.

I think our district has done a pretty good job.  I'm sure it isn't quite as rosy as they make it out to be, but we have only had one staff member in my building miss time because they actually tested positive for Covid.  And that staff member is kind of a social butterfly on evenings and weekends so there was no reason to assume he got it at school.  We are also full classes, full time; we do allow students to opt into remote learning but it isn't very many.

My attitude has definitely changed since mid-August of 2020.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Agreed.  I'm very "pro-union", but I'd have a hard time supporting my local union if they were making me stay home right now.

I think our district has done a pretty good job.  I'm sure it isn't quite as rosy as they make it out to be, but we have only had one staff member in my building miss time because they actually tested positive for Covid.  And that staff member is kind of a social butterfly on evenings and weekends so there was no reason to assume he got it at school.  We are also full classes, full time; we do allow students to opt into remote learning but it isn't very many.

My attitude has definitely changed since mid-August of 2020.

Samesies...

I am starting to think that the number of actual cases of Covid in the US are way off, as in, way more people have it or had it.  If it is as contagious as has been reported there is no way that my entire school has not been exposed.  And we have made it the entire year, so far, with like 15 reported cases for students and two for staff.

In August we all said we would not make it past Labor Day.  Now, we have a better chance of missing school because of the temps than covid.

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ahhh, thanks :)

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I do find it interesting that not once have you made mention that these teachers I am referencing are anti-science.   Not have you stuck up for the kids getting screwed over.  

I'm not defending the teachers that haven't returned to school. I'm pointing out that your assertion that firing them would solve things is nonsense.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not defending the teachers that haven't returned to school. I'm pointing out that your assertion that firing them would solve things is nonsense.

Keeping the status quo of letting those teacher unions and teachers decide when to work and not work at the expense of a child’s education is what is nonsense. 

• Plus1 1

Reading this conversation has been interesting to me, as I have been working on a couple complaints in my workplace about employees who have concerns about being on campus, due to their own risk factors, being immunocompromised and whatnot. But if an essential function of your job is to be present, continuing to work from home is not a reasonable accommodation if the employer is taking reasonable precautions to keep you safe in the workplace.

For teachers, I'm sure many have valid concerns about going back into the school buildings, especially teachers who are older and have other health issues. But if a school is taking mitigating measures (masks, hand sanitizer, distancing when possible, quarantining those who have been exposed, etc) then it is time to go back to work, especially if the medical info we know now is that there is a relatively low risk of spread in the schools. They should still take the virus seriously and if they are worried, I don't blame them. But you still have a job to do. The burden then shifts to the school district and the building staff to do whatever they need to do to keep the teachers safe once they are back.

• Plus1 1