The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

42 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I do wonder how many of the stronger/bigger teachers unions (Chicago, LA, NY, New Orleans is notoriously bad) will fight reopening.  

Should just pull a Reagan and fire anyone of them who doesn’t report to work.  Hire subs at full rate with full benefits.  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Was there an abundance of air traffic controllers at the time?

No, and there has been a shortage of ATC ever since. But the FAA was able to force the airlines to fly fewer flights because of the shortage of ATC's, which can't be done for students unless we're going to just stop educating our kids.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, and there has been a shortage of ATC ever since. But the FAA was able to force the airlines to fly fewer flights because of the shortage of ATC's, which can't be done for students unless we're going to just stop educating our kids.

Blaming any perceived ATC shortage 35 or so years later on that isn’t being very honest. 

Education Hint....look at the test scores.  They are already not being educated to the standard those kids deserve. Those teachers refusing to work have done immense harm to those students.  For being educators, they have decided to not follow science for some reason.  They don’t go back to work in person because they know/think there are no repercussions for their dereliction. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Blaming any perceived ATC shortage 35 or so years later on that isn’t being very honest. 

I didn't blame anything but stated a fact. We can debate the merits of whether firing 11,000+ ATC's might affect people going into that industry for decades but in another thread.

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Education Hint....look at the test scores.  They are already not being educated to the standard those kids deserve. Those teachers refusing to work have done immense harm to those students.  For being educators, they have decided to not follow science for some reason.  They don’t go back to work in person because they know/think there are no repercussions for their dereliction. 

Test scores aren't the same as being educated.

And you're avoiding addressing that firing a bunch of teachers means there won't be enough left to educate kids.

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't blame anything but stated a fact. We can debate the merits of whether firing 11,000+ ATC's might affect people going into that industry for decades but in another thread.

You insinuated a cause and effect.  So yes you did blame it on that and now are trying to walk it back. 

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And you're avoiding addressing that firing a bunch of teachers means there won't be enough left to educate kids.

Any teacher that doesn’t come back in person and follow science, does not get their position for 2021/2022 school year.  Waive the teaching degree requirement for a year, use community based employees to subsidize places in need.  Summer for relevant background checks   Takes work and ingenuity

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Man, it is really hard to just yank community based employees off the street to come and teach.

Look, I am the last person to try and make it sound like teaching is noble hero profession  (like Firemen do), but the hardest part of teaching is controlling a class and the hardest time to control a class is in your first few years of teaching.  It just isn't easy and you don't really learn how to do it until you do it.

The content is the easy part, the classroom control and relationship building is the hard part. (Not for me, but I am a gifted hero)

Again, I am not trying to say the job is hard but there is a lot that goes into it.  It is not just pressing play on a Shark Tank episode to "teach" the class about business...because you are a bit hungover (again).  It takes a long time to know how to teach when hungover.  

And, you think some guy off the street will know how to say "That is a good question, class, why don't YOU all see if you can come up with the answer together" when you have no freaking idea what the answer is but have to play it off.

And...do you think everyone in the community knows the rules of Heads Up 7up???  

• Plus1 3

Our public elementary schools have been open for months and doing well. Our high school has been cleared to re-open and has been in negotiations for weeks.  It's understood that parents and students will have the option to continue learning from home or in some kind of hybrid. The sticking point is the teachers: about 50% of  the teachers in our district have no intention of returning to the physical classroom this semester. In some scenarios kids would come for a single class around 10:00 am., and need to be off school grounds less than two hours later. It's a logistical mess. The sad fact is a lot of students like sleeping later and having class in their pajamas at their home computer. 

All of this is taking place without any directives from any federal agency, and only sporadic recognition of State COVID requirements. Public and private schools within a short radius are all handling it differently. 

The constant seems to be -- as Fauci suggests -- COVID transmission is extremely low at the school level. 

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Man, it is really hard to just yank community based employees off the street to come and teach.

Look, I am the last person to try and make it sound like teaching is noble hero profession  (like Firemen do), but the hardest part of teaching is controlling a class and the hardest time to control a class is in your first few years of teaching.  It just isn't easy and you don't really learn how to do it until you do it.

The content is the easy part, the classroom control and relationship building is the hard part. (Not for me, but I am a gifted hero)

Again, I am not trying to say the job is hard but there is a lot that goes into it.  It is not just pressing play on a Shark Tank episode to "teach" the class about business...because you are a bit hungover (again).  It takes a long time to know how to teach when hungover.  

And, you think some guy off the street will know how to say "That is a good question, class, why don't YOU all see if you can come up with the answer together" when you have no freaking idea what the answer is but have to play it off.

And...do you think everyone in the community knows the rules of Heads Up 7up???  

I've taught mgmt related classes as an adjunct since 2006 at a local univ.  I've thought about checking into teaching HS as a 2nd  career(part time while retired), but at my age, 65, I'm afraid my ship has passed for that.  I probably wouldn't know how to relate to the kids now.  I do a pretty good job & get high marks wt the adult learners (adult and graduate studies program) but HS I think would be a different story.  My undergrad was in History/political-social science and I always thought it would be neat to teach in that area.  After earning my masters degree, I started teaching business classes and commercial credit courses.  But my reading passion is history/pol science. 

So, I may still ck it out.   I agree, once you master the content, it is all about relationship building.

58 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You insinuated a cause and effect.  So yes you did blame it on that and now are trying to walk it back. 

I'm not walking anything back. Like I said, bring it up in another thread and we can discuss.

58 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Any teacher that doesn’t come back in person and follow science, does not get their position for 2021/2022 school year.  Waive the teaching degree requirement for a year, use community based employees to subsidize places in need.  Summer for relevant background checks   Takes work and ingenuity

And now you have a whole bunch of new teachers, many likely unqualified and very likely not enough to replace all the teachers you just fired. It certainly seems like a good, well thought-out plan.

I think we will see some changes in education after this is over.

Snow days, at the HS level will be a thing of the past.

HS students attending their home school while also zooming in to take classes at other schools, ones that are not offered at their school, will happen for sure.

The option to learn in person or on zoom will become a thing.