The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

37 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Do not get me started on HR!  

They are soooo bad.

Being in IT and having to work with HR might be the absolute worst thing ever. I make someone else in my area work with them. 

IT guys get a bad wrap because some of us have horrible people skills. Thankfully I don't have to deal with end users much but there are some really funny interactions with the help desk and end users. 

On 2/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, Archy1221 said:

Why don’t we need one when it’s now proven that it would save 30,000-60,000 lives every year 

I think we will enter a period where mask-wearing and hand-washing will continue after COVID, as has been practiced in other countries like Japan and China pre-COVID. 

It won't be for everyone, but it also won't be a mandate. I mean, we're going on 500,000 dead in one year of COVID and it's not a mandate in much of the U.S.

Wait. You're not actually advocating for influenza mask mandates at all, are you? 

• Plus1 3

I wear my mask religiously when I have to go out. And I wear it correctly, not with my nose exposed (idiots) or as a chin diaper (stupid looking idiots). I believe everyone should still be wearing them in public as well as social distancing and regular hand washing. But I am sooo over these business closures and limited capacities. Ya know what, if people want to go out in these conditions, let them. I’ve come to the realization I just don’t like or care for idiot strangers so if they get sick or die :dunno  The only problem I have with it is if/when the healthcare system can’t keep up. Other than that I’ll continue to wear my mask, get the vaccine and keep my distance. If others want to be stupid, I’ll support them right to their grave. We may have even stumbled upon a way to make social security viable for a bit longer. Fewer recipients has to mean more is left for everyone else.

• Plus1 3
57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. You're not actually advocating for influenza mask mandates at all, are you? 

Not really, just trying to figure out what level of preventable deaths are going acceptable before we began to mandate something. 

Maybe US recommends masks in classrooms and for the elderly going forward in flu season?  It’s very interesting flu data this year and I’m not sure what we do with that data.  

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not really, just trying to figure out what level of preventable deaths are going acceptable before we began to mandate something. 

Maybe US recommends masks in classrooms and for the elderly going forward in flu season?  It’s very interesting flu data this year and I’m not sure what we do with that data.  

My understanding of this year's flu data is that the numbers are notably down, but this isn't surprising given the increase in flu shots, social distancing and better personal hygiene attributable to the pandemic. The last analysis I saw was in December, and they warned we weren't out of the woods yet with the seasonal flu. 

• Plus1 1

I mean depressed flu numbers shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. When was the last flu season where we had such great numbers of people wearing masks, distancing, not going out around others as much and better hand hygiene? I feel sorry for anyone who can't fathom an answer as to why flu numbers are down so much.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I wear my mask religiously when I have to go out. And I wear it correctly, not with my nose exposed (idiots) or as a chin diaper (stupid looking idiots). I believe everyone should still be wearing them in public as well as social distancing and regular hand washing. But I am sooo over these business closures and limited capacities. Ya know what, if people want to go out in these conditions, let them. I’ve come to the realization I just don’t like or care for idiot strangers so if they get sick or die :dunno  The only problem I have with it is if/when the healthcare system can’t keep up. Other than that I’ll continue to wear my mask, get the vaccine and keep my distance. If others want to be stupid, I’ll support them right to their grave. We may have even stumbled upon a way to make social security viable for a bit longer. Fewer recipients has to mean more is left for everyone else.

Yep!

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I mean depressed flu numbers shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. When was the last flu season where we had such great numbers of people wearing masks, distancing, not going out around others as much and better hand hygiene? I feel sorry for anyone who can't fathom an answer as to why flu numbers are down so much.

I haven’t see anyone dispute any of that.  The question posed was do we continue with this social distancing/mask wearing every fall and winter since it clearly affects flu season and saving anywhere from 30,000-60,000 US lives every year.  How many lives saved is the threshold to implement these procedures?  
Just mask wearing? Just social distancing? Go back to normal?  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think another reason they are down, is that no one is running to their doctor if they have the flu right now, so it is not being recorded.  I bet doc/hospital visits for anything other than Covid are at an all time low right now.  

• Plus1 1