The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Explain that dichotomy...?

"YAY!!! Masks and mask wearing have virtually eliminated ALL cases of influenza and other respiratory contagion...WooHoo!!"

(but)

"You selfish mothertrucker mask deniers won't wear your f-ing masks and Covid 19 is spreading like wildfire...we blame EVERY death on you!&!* "

:confucius

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

"YAY!!! Masks and mask wearing have virtually eliminated ALL cases of influenza and other respiratory contagion...WooHoo!!"

(but)

"You selfish mothertrucker mask deniers won't wear your f-ing masks and Covid 19 is spreading like wildfire...we blame EVERY death on you!&!* "

We know that COVID is far easier to spread than the flu. What's the confusion here?

Also, it's just a little piece of cloth. Suck it up. It's not like we're forcing people to donate their kidney.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

(but)

I'm not sure what you mean. Wearing masks and social distancing drastically minimizes airborne respiratory diseases but not everyone does it. More contagious diseases like covid require much higher numbers of people acting together than less contagious diseases like the common ones we get every year. The people not wearing masks and social distancing bear some of the blame.

• Plus1 1
Just now, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Wearing masks and social distancing drastically minimizes airborne respiratory diseases but not everyone does it. More contagious diseases like covid require much higher numbers of people acting together than less contagious diseases like the common ones we get every year. The people not wearing masks and social distancing bear some of the blame.

Looks like masks should be mandated every year from October to March from now on.  We would save 100,000 lives every year from airborne disease based on that data.   

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I guess I am not sure what you mean. (from your post)

There is zero influenza, and it is because of virtually everyone wearing masks/social distancing/washing hands.

Serious kudos to everyone involved.

Then, same post from Mr Doucette, indicates that no one is wearing masks/social distancing/washing hands so Covid is still out of control because mask deniers (read Republicans) refuse to comply...???

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So you understand there's no dichotomy, and that people who refuse to wear masks bear a responsibility for the spread of Covid?

Oh, there is a dichotomy, at least in the post from Red...maybe this will help:

a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different

"No influenza because so many people are wearing masks and social distancing. Covid still spreading because no one is wearing a mask and social distancing." 

• Plus1 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

I guess I am not sure what you mean. (from your post)

There is zero influenza, and it is because of virtually everyone wearing masks/social distancing/washing hands.

Serious kudos to everyone involved.

Then, same post from Mr Doucette, indicates that no one is wearing masks/social distancing/washing hands so Covid is still out of control because mask deniers (read Republicans) refuse to comply...???

The bolded part is incorrect. Some are wearing masks,etc. which is why influenza is nearly zero but it is not enough to make covid nearly zero. They are not the same diseases. The tweet I posted literally says "even with our poor masking rate and halfhearted social distancing measures". If virtually everyone were wearing masks, then covid would be nearly zero as well. If you read the tweets around that one you'll see that the broader discussion was about how other countries such as South Korea have achieved this.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Oh, there is a dichotomy, at least in the post from Red...maybe this will help:

a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different

"No influenza because so many people are wearing masks and social distancing. Covid still spreading because no one is wearing a mask and social distancing." 

The bolded part is false. Neither I nor the tweets I've linked has claimed that.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The bolded part is incorrect. Some are wearing masks,etc. which is why influenza is nearly zero but it is not enough to make covid nearly zero. They are not the same diseases. The tweet I posted literally says "even with our poor masking rate and halfhearted social distancing measures". If virtually everyone were wearing masks, then covid would be nearly zero as well. If you read the tweets around that one you'll see that the broader discussion was about how other countries such as South Korea have achieved this.

Thanks, I will read a little deeper. 

I am certainly not calling you or anyone else out. I just have a tough time with some of the information that is put out there regarding the effects of mask wearing and hygiene in regards to Covid. 

And, this is coming from someone who has worn a mask in public, and at work in common areas, since the onset in here Nebraska. 

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Now that it’s proven that only some mask wearing 90% eliminates the flu, will everyone back mask mandates every fall/winter going forward?  If not, why not? 

I would abide by a mandate, but frankly, I don't think we should need one. 

Besides, I look better in a mask than without one. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It continues to baffle me how much pushback there is against something as simple as wearing a mask. 

I am certainly not pushing back. I wear a mask 100% of the time I am in public, and about 40% of the time while at work. I have not missed one day of work. I never had to quarantine. I have not had one day of "working from home". I counsel my co-workers to wear their masks. I am in contact with the public every single day, many of whom do not wear masks.