The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So is an EUA. 

What you haven't shown is which people that matters to, or shown examples of other vaccines people refused to use because it wasn't fully "FDA approved." Citing those examples would make the case. 

Good Lord.  This really isn’t that hard to understand.  Took roughly 5 minutes and there are tens if not hundreds more like it.  Every single article cites what I’m talking about.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/approved-authorized-covid-19-vaccines-words-matter/story%3fid=77554910

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/verify/emergency-use-authorization-fda-approval-vaccines-fact-check/65-7391e595-cee0-4a00-8468-194a6e0a21a4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/difference-between-emergency-use-authorization-and-full-fda-approval-coronavirus-vaccines/95-f2a7a6ba-eeee-4352-b3c7-8dce70cfba67

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/melissaholzberg/2021/05/04/pfizer-will-file-for-full-fda-approval-for-covid-19-vaccine-by-end-of-may/amp/

Some health experts hope that full FDA approval for Covid-19 vaccines will help lessen vaccine hesitancy in the U.S. Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams wrote in The Washington Post: “Many people who are lower risk understandably ask if the benefits justify taking a medication that has not received the full and traditional FDA stamp of approval,” and wrote “further studies” will “help show skeptics that the authorized COVID vaccines are safe.” 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/pfizer-and-biontech-seeks-fda-full-approval-5186423

It May Help Curb Vaccine Skepticism 

When COVID-19 vaccines were first approved by the FDA, the approval was met with some skepticism from the public out of fear that the vaccines were approved “too fast.”

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The reason it matters to some people is because there's a broad disinformation campaign telling them it matters for some reason. You're helping those campaigns by giving weight to the "actually approved" nonsense

Nah, you just refuse to understand reality. 

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Nah, you just refuse to understand reality. 

From your own post:

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

When COVID-19 vaccines were first approved by the FDA, the approval was met with some skepticism from the public out of fear that the vaccines were approved “too fast.”

• Plus1 2

So, Republicans won't get the vaccine until the FDA approves it.  Meanwhile, they spent 4 years trying to dismantle the department.

LINK

Several other FDA actions under Trump show similar declines when measured against the end of the Obama administration. FDA inspection reports labeled “official action indicated”—typically a trigger for warning letters or similar actions—have fallen by about half under Trump and are continuing to trend downward. Even FDA’s rare injunctions, a more forceful step than warnings to prevent sales or distribution of unsafe or otherwise illegal products, fell from 35 in the last part of the Obama administration to 26 under Trump. (During a comparable period at the start of the Obama years, FDA issued 51 injunctions.) The agency’s “untitled letters”—for concerns that fall short of thresholds for formal warnings—also have dropped sharply under Trump.

They also actively promoted Right to Try laws that allows medications to be used without FDA approval.

LINK

“At the very least, President-elect Trump will support ‘Right to Try’ laws that attempt to provide access to unapproved drugs,” the authors wrote. “Vice President-Elect Mike Pence supports a Right to Try law in Indiana as governor and advocated for it during the campaign.”

The FDA does have a program known as “compassionate use,” which grants access to unproven treatments outside of a randomized clinical trial. Although the agency grants nearly all such requests, it has also been wary about the right to try movement, which has been successful in 31 states, and leaves questions about whether the states have authority over the FDA — a prospect agency staffers to not welcome.

One former FDA official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to speak candidly, said support for the right to try movement signals a broader disapproval of regulation.

“The people who believe in that don’t believe there should be an FDA,” the former official said.

So....the FDA is horrible, and some think it should be dismantled.  But....Republicans can't seem to take a medication without full FDA approval.  

I guess when they finally dismantle it, these same people just won't take any medications.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good Lord.  This really isn’t that hard to understand.  Took roughly 5 minutes and there are tens if not hundreds more like it.  Every single article cites what I’m talking about.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/approved-authorized-covid-19-vaccines-words-matter/story%3fid=77554910

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/verify/emergency-use-authorization-fda-approval-vaccines-fact-check/65-7391e595-cee0-4a00-8468-194a6e0a21a4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/difference-between-emergency-use-authorization-and-full-fda-approval-coronavirus-vaccines/95-f2a7a6ba-eeee-4352-b3c7-8dce70cfba67

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/melissaholzberg/2021/05/04/pfizer-will-file-for-full-fda-approval-for-covid-19-vaccine-by-end-of-may/amp/

Some health experts hope that full FDA approval for Covid-19 vaccines will help lessen vaccine hesitancy in the U.S. Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams wrote in The Washington Post: “Many people who are lower risk understandably ask if the benefits justify taking a medication that has not received the full and traditional FDA stamp of approval,” and wrote “further studies” will “help show skeptics that the authorized COVID vaccines are safe.” 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/pfizer-and-biontech-seeks-fda-full-approval-5186423

It May Help Curb Vaccine Skepticism 

So, you still haven't shown that it mattered with any other vaccine, just Covid. And that's because the Republicans have politicized it so much, vilified Dr. Fauci so much, filled the airwaves with so much disinformation, that people are now hesitant.

And, like @RedDenver continues to say, your own posts fuel that skepticism. It's an approved drug. The "full FDA approval" is a rubber stamp.

But, citing the examples from the very links you provide, so much distrust has been sowed that even with full FDA approval there may not be a huge upswing in vaccinations. 

Misinformation is fueling this. Former US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams is right that people are asking if the benefits justify taking the vaccine - because that message is being pushed by Republicans and their mouthpieces. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No.  Vaccine skeptics possibly won’t for that reason.  How many black Americans are Republicans?  What’s their vaccination rate?  

It's bad...and they should get it.  But, what political group with major power is actively promoting antivax crap?  See the post above to figure it out.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, Republicans won't get the vaccine until the FDA approves it.  Meanwhile, they spent 4 years trying to dismantle the department.

LINK

They also actively promoted Right to Try laws that allows medications to be used without FDA approval.

LINK

So....the FDA is horrible, and some think it should be dismantled.  But....Republicans can't seem to take a medication without full FDA approval.  

I guess when they finally dismantle it, these same people just won't take any medications.

No.  Many people advocate for “right to try” medication do so for acute or emergent life saving drug use that isn’t approved for a given indication like cancer patients for example.  These people will die and want to try anything possible to survive even if’s it’s not approved. To them, the safety measures do not matter.  

• Plus1 1

trump said many confusing things at once, as people with early stage dementia often do. Here's the background on the bleach situation and trump's actual quote:  

During the press conference, ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl asked Bryan about Trump’s proposed injections, citing bleach and isopropyl alcohol as examples of common disinfectants used against the coronavirus.

Bryan responded: “No, I’m here to talk about the findings that we had in the study. We won’t do that within that lab and our lab....”

Then, Trump clarified, saying, “It wouldn’t be through injections, you’re talking about almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big effect.”

Pointing to his head, Trump qualified his suggestions: “I’m not a doctor. But I’m, like, a person that has a good you-know-what."

The White House accused the media of taking Trump’s comments out of context before Trump said he was speaking sarcastically.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.”

"Supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it.

And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that, too. Sounds interesting.

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that. So you’re going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute, that’s pretty powerful."

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It's an approved drug.

Yet it’s not.  It’s an authorized drug and RedDenver continues to be wrong about it.  BTW…Im not fueling anything unless facts don’t seem to matter to you.  I advocate for people to get the vaccine if they ask me or we talk about it.  

So, you still haven't shown that it mattered with any other vaccine,

Which ones are on an EUA?  Then maybe I can answer your question. 

that people are now hesitant.

These same people I am talking about have been hesitant since the beginning.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's bad...and they should get it.  But, what political group with major power is actively promoting antivax crap?  See the post above to figure it out.

Ya those same black Americans really listen to those Republican Covid anti-Vaxers on every thing else also :facepalm: who knew they blindly followed the crazies they normally don’t give a s#!t about for their medical advice.  

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

trump said many confusing things at once, as people with early stage dementia often do. Here's the background on the bleach situation and trump's actual quote:  

During the press conference, ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl asked Bryan about Trump’s proposed injections, citing bleach and isopropyl alcohol as examples of common disinfectants used against the coronavirus.

Bryan responded: “No, I’m here to talk about the findings that we had in the study. We won’t do that within that lab and our lab....”

Then, Trump clarified, saying, “It wouldn’t be through injections, you’re talking about almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big effect.”

Pointing to his head, Trump qualified his suggestions: “I’m not a doctor. But I’m, like, a person that has a good you-know-what."

The White House accused the media of taking Trump’s comments out of context before Trump said he was speaking sarcastically.

“President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterday’s briefing,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement. “Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.”

"Supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it.

And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you're going to test that, too. Sounds interesting.

I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that. So you’re going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute, that’s pretty powerful."

Ya, and….  Sounds like I described.  He thinks out loud even the ideas that probably make no sense or won’t work.  As you quoted, he didn’t tell anyone in the general public to do either of those things. 

• Plus1 2