Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Assuming it's grief is really spinning it to your view.

Not really. My definition of additional "grief" is simply knowing that all those Nebraska fans who cheered you for three years will now take to social media to question your talent, call you a clubhouse cancer, and declare you easily replaced.

If you really wanted out of football, you'd be inclined to retire rather than put yourself through that. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not really. My definition of additional "grief" is simply knowing that all those Nebraska fans who cheered you for three years will now take to social media to question your talent, call you a clubhouse cancer, and declare you easily replaced.

If you really wanted out of football, you'd be inclined to retire rather than put yourself through that. 

All?

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Reading between the lines a bit, it sounds like Nebraska would have to sign off on a waiver which might not happen.

So Minnesota might be out.  But Oregon State could be in.  If he's still playing football.

I doubt we see him playing in the BIG unless he sits a year

1 minute ago, Gorillahawk said:

I doubt we see him playing in the BIG unless he sits a year

Which he can't do without a waiver because he's already redshirted and isn't graduating. He'd have to take classes somewhere, which would burn into his five-to-play-four time.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like he's going to have to drop a level. Barring a miracle waiver.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Which he can't do without a waiver because he's already redshirted and isn't graduating. He'd have to take classes somewhere, which would burn into his five-to-play-four time.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like he's going to have to drop a level. Barring a miracle waiver.

If he receives a waiver, I would assume that Frost understands and supports his choice. Which would make me assume that most of what people have been saying about him being a poor team and trying to lead a halfass mutiny against the staff is all smoke no fire. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

If he receives a waiver, I would assume that Frost understands and supports his choice. Which would make me assume that most of what people have been saying about him being a poor team and trying to lead a halfass mutiny against the staff is all smoke no fire

I would agree with that. That's gonna require way more proof than anything I've seen, and so far it's just internet rumors.

And, really, I don't know that I care to see that proof anyway. He's moved on, it's next man up, and hopefully it's the best move for everyone.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's a better fit than yours. Just saying.

I'm not sure what you think my narrative is, but it's basically this:  There are two sides to every story. 

I never said there wasn't.  I've admitted it several times in this thread.  You are trying to discount one possibility by making a bunch of assumptions.

And you don't know that it's a better fit.  That's your opinion.  Apparently based on a lot of assumptions.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

All?

Will you let me amend it to "(virtually) all the people now criticizing your work ethic on social media were once cheering your work ethic on the field?"

btw...losing the word "all" doesn't really change my weird and cryptic agenda. Premise was simply that a guy who wants out of football probably wouldn't choose to keep playing football while subjecting himself to the kind of fan criticism and personal speculation shown by many (not all) on social media, including this board. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Will you let me amend it to "(virtually) all the people now criticizing your work ethic on social media were once cheering your work ethic on the field?"

btw...losing the word "all" doesn't really change my weird and cryptic agenda. Premise was simply that a guy who wants out of football probably wouldn't choose to keep playing football while subjecting himself to the kind of fan criticism and personal speculation shown by many (not all) on social media, including this board. 

I think even "virtually all" overstates it quite a bit. This thread alone features tons of folks disappointed but wishing him well, and celebrating his sacrifices for the team.

There's always a vocal set of fans deriding those who depart, even out-and-out lying about their time here out of spite or hurt. But even if those are a loud minority, I think they're hugely in the minority. Hugely.

I agree with your second paragraph. I'm guessing he still wants to play, and likely football. I don't think he'd have to enter the transfer portal to, say, go to Ohio State to play lacrosse.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I never said there wasn't.  I've admitted it several times in this thread.  You are trying to discount one possibility by making a bunch of assumptions.

And you don't know that it's a better fit.  That's your opinion.  Apparently based on a lot of assumptions.

I guess I was seeing a lot of assumptions and speculation breaking against JD Spielman. I thought my counter assumptions and speculations were in the realm of possibility. But I was accused of making assumptions and speculation. 

Are you really saying that Spielman going into the portal rather than retire better fits the assumption that he has lost his love of the game? 

• Plus1 2

58 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Reading between the lines a bit, it sounds like Nebraska would have to sign off on a waiver which might not happen.

So Minnesota might be out.  But Oregon State could be in.  If he's still playing football.

it will answere alot of questions if he ends up at OSU.  At least for me.  Is Riley even there anymore? 

47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I guess I was seeing a lot of assumptions and speculation breaking against JD Spielman. I thought my counter assumptions and speculations were in the realm of possibility. But I was accused of making assumptions and speculation. 

Using assumptions and speculation to posit possible outcomes is not the same as using them to disprove possible outcomes.

• Thanks 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers