How large corporations are exploiting this crisis

41 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, I'm trying to show you the hypocrisy. Both the business and the unemployed got "handout" money from the government. The business got money from the government as a lump sum. The unemployed did not. The employer would be in the same boat of still getting "handouts" if the PPP had been monthly payments, but the business got a better deal than the unemployed. It's hypocritical to complain about someone else when it's just good fortune you aren't in the same boat because you got a better deal. You can see that, right?

And you’re failing at it.  

I was under the impression that if employees were laid off they weren’t able to receive the extra unemployment if they were offered their job back but didn’t take them.

Im glad I’m fortunate enough not to have to deal with it.

That said, I don’t believe that the unemployment benefit is why we’re seeing shut a labor shortage.  Omaha city pools are half staffed this summer.  World Of Fun is closed in Tuesday’s and Wednesdays.  These jobs are held by seasonal employees, most likely high school and college students.  They aren’t at home collecting unemployment.  But where are they?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I was under the impression that if employees were laid off they weren’t able to receive the extra unemployment if they were offered their job back but didn’t take them.

That said, I don’t believe that the unemployment benefit is why we’re seeing shut a labor shortage.  Omaha city pools are half staffed this summer.  World Of Fun is closed in Tuesday’s and Wednesdays.  These jobs are held by seasonal employees, most likely high school and college students.  They aren’t at home collecting unemployment.  But where are they?

Dude, have you seen the tennis courts at the parks in Omaha?  They are horrible right now.  Parks is a huge HS and college gig.

32 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The longer it goes, I don't think the unemployment benefits are what is causing the shortage.  I think it is what was causing it late last summer and into the fall last year for companies that were needing to hire and unemployment was still high.

However, take central Nebraska.  There are LOTS of companies that need employees and our unemployment is below 3%.  If people were sitting at home collecting unemployment instead of going to work, they would be in that figure and the percentage would be higher.  

Now, take a larger metro area where more restaurants and bars are needing help and can't find them.  In Lincoln and Omaha, the unemployment is still relatively low.  So, I don't think the added benefits are causing it there either.  Im honestly wondering if people who used to work in food service got laid off and found work somewhere else and realized they liked it better.  That's a good thing.  I love it when people better their situation.  However, it's going to be really interesting to see what happens in the restaurant and bar business.  Locally owned restaurants and bars aren't cash cows with the owners living in million dollar mansions.  Typically, they are working hard there with the employees with long hours and, hopefully, making a decent income.

The only way I can see that these industries are going to all of a sudden greatly increase their wages to attract workers, is to greatly increase their prices.  It will then be interesting to see what the general public (customers) think about that.

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The longer it goes, I don't think the unemployment benefits are what is causing the shortage.  I think it is what was causing it late last summer and into the fall last year for companies that were needing to hire and unemployment was still high.

However, take central Nebraska.  There are LOTS of companies that need employees and our unemployment is below 3%.  If people were sitting at home collecting unemployment instead of going to work, they would be in that figure and the percentage would be higher.  

Now, take a larger metro area where more restaurants and bars are needing help and can't find them.  In Lincoln and Omaha, the unemployment is still relatively low.  So, I don't think the added benefits are causing it there either.  Im honestly wondering if people who used to work in food service got laid off and found work somewhere else and realized they liked it better.  That's a good thing.  I love it when people better their situation.  However, it's going to be really interesting to see what happens in the restaurant and bar business.  Locally owned restaurants and bars aren't cash cows with the owners living in million dollar mansions.  Typically, they are working hard there with the employees with long hours and, hopefully, making a decent income.

The only way I can see that these industries are going to all of a sudden greatly increase their wages to attract workers, is to greatly increase their prices.  It will then be interesting to see what the general public (customers) think about that.

Good points.

I've been trying to buy and eat locally for a few years now and it's not always easy. Fortunately, most of the restaurants in my area were able to survive the pandemic and are still open.

Interesting article on this subject.

As should be expected, there's lots of factors that are leading to this problem. It will be interesting to see what turns it around.

This one just made me go :facepalm:

For some workers who haven’t returned “the trauma and uncertainty of the last year and a half was just too much,” Villanueva said.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting article on this subject.

As should be expected, there's lots of factors that are leading to this problem. It will be interesting to see what turns it around.

This one just made me go :facepalm:

“Trauma” might be a little overdramatic but uncertainty, yes.

I think a component of the food service labor shortage is many have decided that is no longer reliable employment. I think that feeling will subside as time progresses. Then we’re left with restaurants having to increase wages. Like you said, will be interesting to see how those increased menu prices go over with their customers. 

I don’t know about others but I have significantly reduced my trips to fast food joints. Its to the point their product just isn’t worth it for me. If I’m gonna spend that kind of money, I’d rather spend a hair more and get something good.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t know about others but I have significantly reduced my trips to fast food joints. Its to the point their product just isn’t worth it for me. If I’m gonna spend that kind of money, I’d rather spend a hair more and get something good.

I only go to those if I have no other options.  I've grown to detest their food most of the time.  Yep...spend a little more and get something much better.

We were just talking the other day and laughing....wondering how in the world Long John Silvers stays in business.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

My wife and I were talking about food service staff.  What percentage of adult servers are spouses (most likely wives) using the job to supplement income?  Over the past year they have probably found ways to “make it work” and realized having those evenings at home with the family is a good thing.

Or, like you said, they found something better.  

Sounds like we need to hire some more immigration judges and start filling some jobs ;)

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

YES!!!!!

I was just actually thinking about.....Hmmmm.....wouldn't immigration be great about now?

New immigrants have always filled the void for jobs that more established citizens don’t want to do. There’s a reason most workers in packing plants (as one example) are not white (sorry if that isn’t pc) but its a job I’m not ever going to do and somebody has to. However it’s a bit of a problem when, at the same time, we’ll pay perfectly capable people to sit at home doing nothing. There has to be a point where that just doesn’t work.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

New immigrants have always filled the void for jobs that more established citizens don’t want to do. There’s a reason most workers in packing plants (as one example) are not white (sorry if that isn’t pc) but its a job I’m not ever going to do and somebody has to. However it’s a bit of a problem when, at the same time, we’ll pay perfectly capable people to sit at home doing nothing. There has to be a point where that just doesn’t work.

But….but….but…..they’re stealing our jobs.  

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Roofers (hardest & hottest job in texas), residential construction, framing, windows, concrete, landscape, etc.  I've done it.  But some do it theyre whole life.  Much Much respect.  Not many ppl can or will do it.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, admo said:

Roofers (hardest & hottest job in texas), residential construction, framing, windows, concrete, landscape, etc.  I've done it.  But some do it theyre whole life.  Much Much respect.  Not many ppl can or will do it.

I did industrial roofing in Lincoln for one summer at the airport. Hardest job I ever had. Working with hot tar in the blazing sun was the only thing worse than the fiberglass making every part of your skin itch. Motivated me to join the Navy in order to go to college so I'd never have to do that again.

• Plus1 1