2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

NDSU fan here. Just wanted to throw some love your way. North Dakota State has always thought of itself as Nebraska Junior as our Football success since the 60's parallels each other somewhat. Prior to the D1 move we won most of our Natty's running various offenses based on the veer.   All throughout North Dakota you can still listen to Nebraska football games on the AM and for a lot of years that was the only out of state game you could get up here. Our current play by play guy came to us from Nebraska (Jeff Culhane) and does an excellent job. He has a two hour radio show everyday and since he still has connections there, he is pretty up to date on what's going on with Nebraska football and features quite a few guest on his show. I can't ever recall him talking to someone from Minnesota. 

NDSU is at its peak right now and your in rebuilding mode and the risk/reward for you is certainly not great. However, I promise you that Nebraska will gain a legion of football fans if you play us this fall. Most folks in North Dakota don't cheer for the Gophers regardless of their allegiance and this game would only strengthen that bond of Nebraska as the P5 school to cheer for. 

If we do get the game there will probably be loads of us that show up here to talk football. We have a few a$$ hats but we generally police our own. 

Here's to hoping....!

• Plus1 4

17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think if 2 or 3 other teams would break with Nebraska for this fall, it would be hard to threaten all 4 with membership than just a single entity.  

the grant of rights/money legal issue is probably murky no matter how many teams split though. 

That would be a game changer as far as having Nebraska play this fall.  If say, behind the scenes, OSU was working on playing games against the SEC/ACC and then contacted Nebraska to build a united front, that would make it easier.  If OSU and/or Michigan decided they were going to play, the Big Ten would (99.99% probability) not kick them out. 

At this point, the only school that has said anything publicly is Nebraska.  The others have followed the official conference statement.  Whether or not they are doing something behind the scenes we can't be sure.

I would actually give a higher probability to the power brokers of the Big Ten trying to influence the NCAA behind the scenes to cancel/de-sanction all fall sports for every conference.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, internetman said:

well to be fair. Iowa state and KSU still are having a season (as of now). 

SDSU and nebraska fans overlap more than you'd like to and there are like 17,000 fans at NDSU games. I understand the wild grasping at straws many are doing here but come on. 

Is this not the thread for wild speculation?  I completely realize there is almost zero chance that NU plays this year.  But hey man, I bought some extra aluminum foil at the store last week and I'll be damned if I don't put it to use!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Rochelobe said:

That would be a game changer as far as having Nebraska play this fall.  If say, behind the scenes, OSU was working on playing games against the SEC/ACC and then contacted Nebraska to build a united front, that would make it easier.  If OSU and/or Michigan decided they were going to play, the Big Ten would (99.99% probability) not kick them out. 

At this point, the only school that has said anything publicly is Nebraska.  The others have followed the official conference statement.  Whether or not they are doing something behind the scenes we can't be sure.

I would actually give a higher probability to the power brokers of the Big Ten trying to influence the NCAA behind the scenes to cancel/de-sanction all fall sports for every conference.

how would they break if they voted to not play?

and I agree with trying to influence the NCAA, although they just do elgibility compliance.  At least up to now. Maybe their scope broadens 

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Just set up 3 non con scrimmages.  They aren't games.  you knock some rust off and see what some guys can do.  And if you think these athletes can't handle playing a few games in the fall and then playing a full season in the Spring you are smoking crack.  Same with having a spring and Fall season.

Ok- so here we go.  The NCAA regulates scrimmages, right?  We are technically outside of a season, what kind of practices can we have? 

And just to complain about the NCAA more, athough not really on topic of this quote, if they keep the portal open and allow guys to leave (and guys actually leave), we should get refunded the cost of recruiting them from the new school.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Akbison said:

The talk up here in North Dakota is that Nebraska supposedly has a pay per view clause in their B1G contract and that's how this game and your season could be funded. Any truth to that?

I'm not saying no, but that seems like something our local beat writers (and there are dozens and dozens of them) would have dug up at some point. Maybe they never looked? But if that's the case, they'd still need permission from the Big Ten to play or they'd risk eligibility.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

4 game redshirt rule baby! 

I know but then you don't get it next year when you can really play four games!

Just now, krc1995 said:

I know but then you don't get it next year when you can really play four games!

or maybe we can do one this year and three next year!!!  Let's get this done!

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

how would they break if they voted to not play?

and I agree with trying to influence the NCAA, although they just do elgibility compliance.  At least up to now. Maybe their scope broadens 

Has there been anything released which shows how the vote went down? I can't find anything with actual sources, which I find odd. 

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

That nice, but one game to burn elgibility? 

I think the assumption is that we (NDSU) can get our non conference games in this fall and will hopefully get the conference games in the spring. I can't imagine that they are going to give all of these seniors a year back if no games are played in 20. It would screw up the depth chart and future recruiting horrendously. We have two guys projected to go in the first two rounds and I'm sure they would opt out anyways as would any NFL prospect so that they can be 100% healthy for the combine.