2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

1 hour ago, Toe said:

. Which reminds me, can we keep practicing, even though we don't have any games coming up? The NCAA hasn't said no (hence why other conferences are still going), did the conference actually say no practicing?

I wondered this yesterday. 

ncaa hasn’t said anything. I guess we’ll know when they don’t let us go to a bowl. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No it won't because the OSU president doesn't want to play. They knew the outrage was coming and they did it anyway. The time to flip flop would have been after the first vote was leaked. Ryan Day and Jim Harbaugh and whoever else can say whatever they want to. It's not going to change anything. Jmo though, we will see. 

Might change their job status if they don’t shut it. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

No it won't because the OSU president doesn't want to play. They knew the outrage was coming and they did it anyway. The time to flip flop would have been after the first vote was leaked. Ryan Day and Jim Harbaugh and whoever else can say whatever they want to. It's not going to change anything. Jmo though, we will see. 

Day wouldn't say what he said today if he hadn't had conversations with Gene Smith after Smith's announcement.  It would be nothing more than detrimental for Day to make his statements if he is under the impression it's not what Smith wants.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Day wouldn't say what he said today if he hadn't had conversations with Gene Smith after Smith's announcement.  It would be nothing more than detrimental for Day to make his statements if he is under the impression it's not what Smith wants.

Gene Smith doesn't speak for the University. Obviously ADs and coaches want to play. A 13-1 decision isn't getting changed by one coach. A decision that was made after they saw the public response, which wasn't good. It's not happening. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Gene Smith doesn't speak for the University. Obviously ADs and coaches want to play. A 13-1 decision isn't getting changed by one coach. A decision that was made after they saw the public response, which wasn't good. It's not happening. 

We'll see (if OSU decides to shoot for the fall).

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the remaining three P5 conferences starts a season. But much like MLB, they're going to have significant numbers of athletes contract Covid, and they're going to shut down before they play a full slate of games.

Maybe it's enough for them to say, "We tried."  Not sure if that'll help them or hurt them in the future. 

But what I think is most likely to happen is the Big XII, ACC & SEC take a hard look at the hotspot map and decide they're the last place that should actually play. 

IdIlOQc.png

Since they have to 50% participation IIRC to play for a title, there is really no margin for error now.  SEC, ACC, and Big XII have to play for a semi-legit season.  We saw the writing on the wall when the MAC canceled that the Big Ten season was in trouble.  Sun Belt is playing because of possible money games against ACC and SEC.  I think if another P5 domino falls, the season is done.

• Plus1 1

Well I guess Warren made it clear that the Big 10 won't tolerate an independent season

This article isn't very flattering towards NU.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-ten-commissioner-kevin-warren-lashes-out-at-nebraska-after-critical-statements-023133028.html

First-year Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren endured his first truly tumultuous news cycle this week. Through all the emotional crosswinds and open-fire antagonism, no Big Ten school’s petulance stood out like Nebraska.

Cornhuskers coach Scott Frost held a news conference Monday to essentially announce that Nebraska would attempt to go rogue if the Big Ten canceled the fall football season. The news conference doubled as a pep rally and the local media jumped aboard, speculating about future opponents without bothering to Google the phrase “grant of rights.”

The entire University of Nebraska doubled down on Frost’s chestiness on Tuesday in the wake of the Big Ten’s decision to cancel the fall season, saying it was “very disappointed.” The release included everyone from the chancellor to the coach and said Nebraska “[hopes] it may be possible for our student-athletes to have the opportunity to compete.” In other words, they stood on their porch in Lincoln and flipped off Warren in unison.

When Warren was asked specifically by Yahoo Sports if Nebraska could play college football this fall, he gave an answer that would make his hardline predecessor nod with approval.

“No,” he said, firmly. “Not and be a member of the Big Ten Conference.”

Warren’s concise Nebraska rebuttal is a nice window into the bottom line he used to help guide the decision that may ultimately define his career as Big Ten commissioner. He politely told Nebraska that if it goes rogue, it can pack it where the corn doesn’t husk. And the league would be happy to keep its $50 million cut and share it with those who play nice.

Warren’s stance on Nebraska’s fall football fantasy would make former commissioner Jim Delany proud. Delany ruled the league with swagger, intimidation and the occasional f-bomb. It’s safe to say Nebraska wouldn’t have attempted to go rogue with Delany in the commissioner chair, as it would have received phone calls with Delany’s Jersey-colorful vernacular. And, likely, it would have been guaranteed the Cornhuskers would have opened their league schedule on the road the next three years with some combination of Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan as a reminder of who is in charge.

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do we know for sure there was a vote? Minnesota President said there wasn't yesterday.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Do we know for sure there was a vote? Minnesota President said there wasn't yesterday.

Are the Big 10 chancellors and presidents different from the university presidents? Every news outlet I can find reports they voted to cancel the season. The report of the previous vote said it was by school and Iowa and NU voted to play, everyone else voted against. So I'm not sure what to believe but all outlets reporting a vote. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Are the Big 10 chancellors and presidents different from the university presidents? Every news outlet I can find reports they voted to cancel the season. The report of the previous vote said it was by school and Iowa and NU voted to play, everyone else voted against. So I'm not sure what to believe but all outlets reporting a vote. 

Yeah its been so confusing honestly. But seems like Day straight up said today the President, AD, him and players all wanted to go forward with a fall season.