List your all time 10 favorite songs

No real rules here, just list the specific version, title and artist, of your favorite ten songs ever.

I intended to make it a top five but it was hard enough for me to get to ten, so here we are.

I suppose you could also list 1 or 2 honorable mentions that burst on the bubble.

In no specific order.....

1- Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd

2- Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

3- Love Shack by B-52’s

4- Texas Flood by SRV

5- Sympathy For The Devil by Rolling Stones

6- Limelight by Rush

7- Stranglehold by Ted Nugent

8- LA Woman by Doors

9- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by CS&N

10- Thunderstruck by AC/DC 

Bubble Songs- Dreams I’ll Never See by Molly Hatchet, Hotel California by The Eagles.......and about 13 others.

Yes, this is sort of like my stuck on an island music list from 5 or so years ago, but different. Your favoritest songs, not the only music you can listen to for the rest of your life.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

No real rules here, just list the specific version, title and artist, of your favorite ten songs ever.

I intended to make it a top five but it was hard enough for me to get to ten, so here we are.

I suppose you could also list 1 or 2 honorable mentions that burst on the bubble.

In no specific order.....

1- Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd

2- Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

3- Love Shack by B-52’s

4- Texas Flood by SRV

5- Sympathy For The Devil by Rolling Stones

6- Limelight by Rush

7- Stranglehold by Ted Nugent

8- LA Woman by Doors

9- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by CS&N

10- Thunderstruck by AC/DC 

Bubble Songs- Dreams I’ll Never See by Molly Hatchet, Hotel California by The Eagles.......and about 13 others.

Yes, this is sort of like my stuck on an island music list from 5 or so years ago, but different. Your favoritest songs, not the only music you can listen to for the rest of your life.

You have excellent taste in music JJ, I like the cut of your jib (except Hotel California, that song is dreadful).

I will have to come back to this thread, as I think listing a top 10 might take a long long time to narrow down. For example, my all time favorite band is Led Zepplin, but my favorite song of theirs might change depending on the mood or the time of day. And a Zep song may or may not even make one my top 10 favorites when considering all individual songs across all genres. This is tough...

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Ulty said:

You have excellent taste in music JJ, I like the cut of your jib (except Hotel California, that song is dreadful).

I will have to come back to this thread, as I think listing a top 10 might take a long long time to narrow down. For example, my all time favorite band is Led Zepplin, but my favorite song of theirs might change depending on the mood or the time of day. And a Zep song may or may not even make one my top 10 favorites when considering all individual songs across all genres. This is tough...

It could've been much tougher than I made it. My initial list had 25 songs. It was fairly easy cutting 5 off but the next 10 was hard. Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites too. The problem with them was so many good songs but none really stood significantly above the others except for Stairway and I ended up cutting it. 

I tried to remove any that were dependent on my mood to be considered a favorite. That would add way too much brain damage to the exercise.

• Plus1 1

This was harder than I thought it would be and has taken me two hours this morning (when I should be finishing a bid but Oh well!). Music is so subjective and I think a song that struck me in the 70's may not have in the 90's or 2000's. These ten still stir feelings in me and have stood the test of time. These aren't in any order.

1. Riders on the Storm................The Doors

2. Little Wing..........Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn version

3. Midnight Rider.......Allman Bros

4. Africa......Toto

5. Wooden Ships.........CSNY

6. Alright Now......Free

7. More than a Feeling.......Boston.  I know it has been overplayed but I recently heard it broken down into each instrument and Brad Delps voice and was blown away by the structure and harmonies.

8. Don't Stop Believin.........Journey.  Same story....overplayed but each instrument and vocal is a work of art.

9. Sultans of Swing......Dire Straits

10. Heart of the Night......Poco

• Plus1 2

godammit this was incredibly difficult.

I tried listing my favorite bands but could not whittle that down to a top ten, then I realized that some of my favorite songs are not necessarily from my favorite bands, as sometimes a single song can stand apart from the rest of the catalog. I'm a sucker for classic rock and 80s hair metal, but there is not much of that on my list here. My favorite classic rock bands (Zep, Rush, and Floyd) are not on the list (except Comfortably Numb, an absolute masterpiece) because I couldn't think of individual songs that stood out from their overall bodies of work. My favortie 90s band is Pearl Jam, but I couldn't identify one song to rise above the others for them either. Putting together a top ten for each of these bands themselves would be a chore. So much of my list is 90s alternative because there are certain songs that I just love to jam out to.

Stars...Hum

Love Reign Over Me...the Who

Gimme Shelter...Stones

Say It Ain't So...Weezer

Comfortably Numb...Floyd

From Out of Nowhere...Faith No More

Silent Lucidity...Queensryche

King of Wishful Thinking (cover)...New Found Glory

Eulogy...Tool

Know Your Enemy...Rage Against the Machine

17 minutes ago, Ulty said:

godammit this was incredibly difficult.

I tried listing my favorite bands but could not whittle that down to a top ten, then I realized that some of my favorite songs are not necessarily from my favorite bands, as sometimes a single song can stand apart from the rest of the catalog. I'm a sucker for classic rock and 80s hair metal, but there is not much of that on my list here. My favorite classic rock bands (Zep, Rush, and Floyd) are not on the list (except Comfortably Numb, an absolute masterpiece) because I couldn't think of individual songs that stood out from their overall bodies of work. My favortie 90s band is Pearl Jam, but I couldn't identify one song to rise above the others for them either. Putting together a top ten for each of these bands themselves would be a chore. So much of my list is 90s alternative because there are certain songs that I just love to jam out to.

Stars...Hum

Love Reign Over Me...the Who

Gimme Shelter...Stones

Say It Ain't So...Weezer

Comfortably Numb...Floyd

From Out of Nowhere...Faith No More

Silent Lucidity...Queensryche

King of Wishful Thinking (cover)...New Found Glory

Eulogy...Tool

Know Your Enemy...Rage Against the Machine

I almost did Silent Lucidity. Great song.

1. I hate myself and want to die-Nirvana

2. Love will tear us apart- Joy Division

3. Well I wonder- the smiths

4. Seasons in the Sun- terry Jacks

5. Suicidal thoughts- Biggie Smalls

6. I saw your mommy- Suidical Tendencies 

7. Shadows-Blouse

8. Goodbye Horses- Q Lazzarus

9. Cant stay mad at you-Skeeter Davis

10. Drugs are good- NOFX

• Plus1 1

Oldies. A-F ....

Barbara Streisand - The Way We Were (my wife favorite song)

Bob Seger - Against the Wind

Boston - Rock & Roll Band

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode

Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

Elton John - Funeral For a Friend Love Lies

Eric Clapton - Layla

Irene Cara - What A Feeling

Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon (I adore Stevie 5 years ago but bypassed Polina Gagarina)

You ever heard of Polina?  Powerful voice and emotional face.  Both fluent English and native language.

I have refrained from entering this topic because of how hard this list would be for me to make, but here we go. These are in no specific order: 

Collective Soul - Shine

Collective Soul - December

Incubus - Drive

Incubus - Wish You Were Here

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Prince - Purple Rain

Rush - Limelight (ditto, @JJ Husker)

Brooks N' Dunn - Boot Scootin' Boogie

Tupac - California Love

AC/DC - Shoot to Kill

I tried making a list with just one song per artist, but, in line with the OP and the "Desert Island" topic, these would be my top 10. 

EDIT: This could evolve into a "Ten Favorite Musical Acts" topic pretty easily, too. 

56 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

EDIT: This could evolve into a "Ten Favorite Musical Acts" topic pretty easily, too. 

Hell, even that would be hard to do. When I tried to do my list, I started with favorite bands and quit after about 23.

This got me thinking though, since we don't have football, and there is nothing going on in the contest crib forum, would it be a fun diversion to do a Huskerboard tournament of favorite musical acts? Everyone nominates whoever they want and we dump them into a bracket then have voting threads all season long?

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ohhhh Rush!  

Time to redo my list!  Been to see the, a few times in concert.  

Rush is on my list of "Acts I'd Use A Time Machine to Go See"; I didn't get a chance to go when they were in Lincoln on their farewell tour. 

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Hell, even that would be hard to do. When I tried to do my list, I started with favorite bands and quit after about 23.

This got me thinking though, since we don't have football, and there is nothing going on in the contest crib forum, would it be a fun diversion to do a Huskerboard tournament of favorite musical acts? Everyone nominates whoever they want and we dump them into a bracket then have voting threads all season long?

I'd be down. 

I'll have to put more effort into this than I initially thought, but I will say that there are a number of GREAT song listed here that I now hate because I spent seven years listening to them on repeat when I worked for a Walgreens through high school/college.:lol:

More than a Feeling is pretty high up on that hate list.

• Haha 1