Eight Husker Football Players Sue the Big Ten

knapplc

Just now, knapplc said:

That says handbook, not bylaws. You can see a copy of the 2017 handbook here.

Ah good catch, I misread that. Regardless I am curious what starts happening from a legal standpoint here. I don't know if the NU players lawsuit will continue, but a lot of other lawyers are starting to take an interest and I don't think I would want to be on the other side of Mars. He's got a decent record against college programs. I've seen several guys who believe OSU for example might be able to seek financial and injunctive relief even.

I don't know what to make of blacking out the bylaws. It is confusing on the surface for sure, and the low-hanging fruit explanation is that they're concerned that some information in the bylaws may hurt the arguments they've been making in recent weeks against having a season.

Perhaps there is a less sinister explanation for it (maybe the conferences don't want to share that stuff with outside entities for privacy reasons?) but again I'd like to know what, specifically, is so concerning.

Another harsh truth is that the longer the Big 10's legal team draws this out, the less likely any of this moves forward in a timely manner.

Today, no doubt at 4:59 PM the Big Ten will file their responsive brief in support of dismissal of a case without any discovery of the very relevant documents at the heart of the complaint.  Seems very unlikely any court will grant such a motion at this point.  Had there been some kind of reasonable attempt to reply in good faith, perhaps if the law was unclear. I just dont see any basis for such a ruling this early.  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

We have seen this over and over with different institutions where the coverup is worse than the actual incident.   Yeesh.  

We have to hope so because if the original actions are as bumbling and inept as the attempted cover up has been (and the smell test is really awful), it will raise a bunch of doubt about the Big Ten management capability.  What will the next mess be?   For better or worse, NU is married to the Big Ten and a divorce will be a real ugly case.  

On 9/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, Wistrom Disciple said:

Looks like the players' lawsuit might not be the only legal action coming (Article)

"“Nebraskans expect transparency from nonprofits operating in this state, and the Big Ten Conference is no exception.... The act also says the state cannot regulate internal affairs of a corporation from outside the state that is authorized to conduct business in Nebraska."

Asking if the corp is following laws regarding corporate formalities (meetings, quorums, notices, votes, basic governance items, good faith dealings with shareholders ( the universities) and their board members - various states in this case actually as the Unis are state govt agencies.  Of course, the consuming public who buy their products has a clear interest in honest dealing.   Whether for profit or not, any corporation doing business in several states has basic formalities (not to be confused with something trivial or insignificant).  Regulate internal affairs would likely mean decisions and policies not process or procedures imo.  

So, I have not seen any reporting on either yesterday’s court filing by Big Ten or today’s yet either.  Anybody seen either?

Apparently Big Ten has filed nothing with Lancaster County Dist court per Judge’s order re Fri and Sat due dates.  It seems odd no

media was waiting for same in Linc.  One could interpret that several ways but few Judges like having their orders ignored, especially when given extra time once already.   The By laws would have taken about 15 minutes to copy, paste and email.  Most Judges would not be happy with such a disregard of a simple order. And a brief on the legal issues (nothing real complex here) was a 4 week time frame already.  

• Plus1 1