Biden's America

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for this reply...which is a far cry from "Maga boomers suck"

Let's be clear, though, MAGA Boomers do suck. But considering the amount of lead they consumed in their life, it may not be totally their fault. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I mean...why would the IRS just not go after the 25,000 people that make over a million dollars that don't pay taxes?

The info is right there for them, it is not like they have to hunt them down.  My counselors at school are each responsible for about 200 kids at a time.  One IRS agent can't deal with 250 grown a$$ people on their case load?

80,000 people work for the IRS!  How much more funding do they needed?   

144.5m people file tax returns--divide that by 80,000 people having to go through that mass and it takes a while. Plus if you have deductions to claim, expenses to claim, dabble in real estate or stocks, etc., a single tax filing can get complicated in a hurry, especially the more someone makes. 

Also, you're seeing the staffing levels *RETURN* to 80,000 since the funding was allocated for this year. The ultimate goal is ~100k employees, IIRC. 

For perspective, normal staffing levels of the IRS were, in the 1980s to 1990s, from 95k to 110k full time employees (with additional contract/temp help hired as needed). And don't forget that the defunding also means the IRS could not replace or improve its technology because of the lack of budget. There are likely automated advances that could help reduce the number of headcount in the future (or at least keep it steady), but with no budget, the IRS can't explore those options. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Let's be clear, though, MAGA Boomers do suck. But considering the amount of lead they consumed in their life, it may not be totally their fault. 

144.5m people file tax returns--divide that by 80,000 people having to go through that mass and it takes a while. Plus if you have deductions to claim, expenses to claim, dabble in real estate or stocks, etc., a single tax filing can get complicated in a hurry, especially the more someone makes. 

Also, you're seeing the staffing levels *RETURN* to 80,000 since the funding was allocated for this year. The ultimate goal is ~100k employees, IIRC. 

For perspective, normal staffing levels of the IRS were, in the 1980s to 1990s, from 95k to 110k full time employees (with additional contract/temp help hired as needed). And don't forget that the defunding also means the IRS could not replace or improve its technology because of the lack of budget. There are likely automated advances that could help reduce the number of headcount in the future (or at least keep it steady), but with no budget, the IRS can't explore those options. 

MAGA's fight against funding the IRS makes it clear that they don't want a well functioning IRS that can find people who are cheating on their taxes.  For the life of me, I can not figure out how that's how a conservative should think.  And, quite honestly, I don't care if you're making $75,000 or $10,000,000 per year, you should be paying what the law says you're supposed to pay.  And, we should have a good functioning and efficient department in the government that makes sure that happens.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 4
18 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Flat tax....

National Sales tax...

Why make it hard.

:dunno

:D

Because it causes the poor to pay significantly more in taxes and the rich significantly less. 

The tax we have is a progressive, tiered tax that helps maintain a middle class. 

Honestly, a good rule of thumb is, if Pillen suggested something similar, it's probably not a good idea on account of Pillen being a f****** idiot. :dunno

• TBH 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

MAGA's fight against funding the IRS makes it clear that they don't want a well functioning IRS that can find people who are cheating on their taxes.  For the life of me, I can not figure out how that's how a conservative should think.  And, quite honestly, I don't care if you're making $75,000 or $10,000,000 per year, you should be paying what the law says you're supposed to pay.  And, we should have a good functioning and efficient department in the government that makes sure that happens.

Well, that person is conversing with Devo and I so it’s silly to start your retort by saying “MAGA’s fight against funding the IRS”.  :rolleyes:

1) Neither of us said don’t fund the IRS.

2) Both of us pointed out a spending issue, and I believe we both said increased revenues would help the situation 

3) A link was provided saying it’s well known 25k millionaires havent filed taxes.   How hard is it to, as @teachercdnoted, to go after those who knowingly haven’t filed for years?  Seems like a no brainer to the rest of us:dunno.   Low hanging fruit as one might say! 
4) Explain to me how the IRS is going to make a dent in the largest portion of the IRS gap…..cash payments.  Without any further enforcement on people making under $400,000 or getting it from the criminal enterprises.  
5) Explain how we don’t have a spending problem or why you didn’t push back to that poster in this post above that there is a spending problem.   Because that person made it clear on his/her thoughts which you didnt address and Devo and I are trying to address.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

I'm very uncomfortable with AI.  However, I have read articles about one area where it can be extremely useful is in analyzing huge amounts of scientific data.  That got me thinking that, if they would actually fund the IRS to upgrade their technology, I wonder if they could use AI to red flag returns that should be reviewed by an agent.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Well, that person is conversing with Devo and I so it’s silly to start your retort by saying “MAGA’s fight against funding the IRS”.  :rolleyes:

Republicans (MAGA) has fought against funding the IRS ever since the discussion began. So, if the shoe fits.  Maybe it's not you.  But, the shoe fits like a nice pair for Republican party (MAGA).

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

3) A link was provided saying it’s well known 25k millionaires havent filed taxes.   How hard is it to, as @teachercdnoted, to go after those who knowingly haven’t filed for years?  Seems like a no brainer to the rest of us:dunno.   Low hanging fruit as one might say! 

When I can't get an answer on a tax situation for almost two years because they keep delaying, delaying delaying....I can see why they don't have the staff and technology to do this.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

4) Explain to me how the IRS is going to make a dent in the largest portion of the IRS gap…..cash payments.  Without any further enforcement on people making under $400,000 or getting it from the criminal enterprises.  

I don't even know what you're asking.  Are you asking me if they should go after people making under $400,000 or criminal enterprises?  The answer is YES on both if they aren't paying the taxes the law says they should.

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

5) Explain how we don’t have a spending problem or why you didn’t push back to that poster in this post above that there is a spending problem.   Because that person made it clear on his/her thoughts which you didnt address and Devo and I are trying to address.  

Because I didn't push back against any poster.  I pushed back against the Republican (MAGA) party.

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I can't get an answer on a tax situation for almost two years because they keep delaying, delaying delaying....I can see why they don't have the staff and technology to do this.

That would suck having to deal with what you’re going through, and certainly appreciate your frustration.  

In terms of the KNOWN folks that haven’t filed a return, (that are millionaires according to the report) I still can’t find a single reason for them to not be contacted or referred for tax evasion prosecution.   

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

FWIW, not a Boomer here (missed it by 12 months) but definitely not a Maga. Why does lead paint and bootlicking figure so prominently in your lexicon?

Actually, it was more than 150 million. But over half of those had a tax professional do the work. That should expedite the process. So, let's say 1000 returns for each staff member. 4 or 5 a day pretty much zips that up. https://www.efile.com/efile-tax-return-direct-deposit-statistics/

Now, let's talk about the 40% of workers who pay ZERO income tax. (up to 47% if you count family deductions...not just lowwages)  https://www.statista.com/statistics/242138/percentages-of-us-households-that-pay-no-income-tax-by-income-level/#:~:text=In total%2C about 59.9 percent,paid no individual income taxes.

So that means that all govt income comes from 53-60% of US workers. It used to be enough. Now it's not. I posted yesterday about 63% of all tax income going directly to paying the debt. Not sustainable. And your answer is , let's jack up tax rates...all the way to 90%, as you previously stated. Make those 1/2 of workers contribute their "fair share" or more, absolutely. Realize that our Govt spends waaaay to much, positively. 

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:
43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don't even know what you're asking.  Are you asking me if they should go after people making under $400,000 or criminal enterprises?  The answer is YES on both if they aren't paying the taxes the law says they should.

Lots of reports from Various sources including the IRS, say there is a gap of revenue in what’s collected and what should be collected.   79% of this number is people not paying the total amount they should.   The only reason CBS gave was cash payments.  This leads me to believe it’s the largest by far reason.    

Cash payments tend to be certain types of business (bars entry fee’s, handyman type services, house cleaning services, etc) and individuals paying others for goods (drugs, gambling, garage sales, used product sales).   If Biden isn’t going to push some of the increased enforcement of people making under $400,000 how will the IRS capture this tax income?  Or the drug dealers and criminal elements.   

When the money for enhanced IRS was announced, the claim was going after the billionaires, yet that is by far the smallest pot of money the IRS says isn’t being collected.   Everyone should pay what they legally owe, but how does this increased funding make a dent in the pot of money that would make a difference.  

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I mean...why would the IRS just not go after the 25,000 people that make over a million dollars that don't pay taxes?

The info is right there for them, it is not like they have to hunt them down.  My counselors at school are each responsible for about 200 kids at a time.  One IRS agent can't deal with 250 grown a$$ people on their case load?

80,000 people work for the IRS!  How much more funding do they needed?   

People need to work when they are at work and not just post all day (like all of us do! Hahaha)  I know I know, pot meet kettle, but come on IRS workers, you can do more in a day.

I have seen The Untouchables. 

Have you ever actually done your own taxes, or do you just plug it into turbo tax or have "a guy"?

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Dude, it is all online now.  This is not the olden days.  I would imagine the process on both ends is much more streamlined.  

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Have you ever actually done your own taxes, or do you just plug it into turbo tax or have "a guy"?

All 3 actually!

• Oh Yeah! 2
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, it is all online now.  This is not the olden days.  I would imagine the process on both ends is much more streamlined.  

All 3 actually!

And do you have just a W2 and a 1099C? Or do you have your own business? Because taxes for self employment and businesses get a lot more complex, and there are a lot more loopholes ways to write off money that the IRS would have to review. Just doing my wife's 1099NEC for contract work is quite a bit different than what I would do for my regular W2 and 1099C.