Penn State Week Pressers

knapplc

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think a couple of Frost's comments were telling.  Frost was subtly critical of Martinez ability to process quickly, and also indicated the defense has improved enough to play up tempo.

Yeah, I wouldn't even call it subtle. Pretty much said if the decisions don't happen quicker he's not going to be the guy. It'll be interesting to see if that's fixable - if it's truly not processing information quickly enough, in year 3 that probably is what it is. But I suspect it's more just hesitation, lingering a little too long on the first and second reads because he doesn't trust what he sees. If it's the latter, I think it's possible to work on deciding and pulling the trigger quicker. Difficult, but possible.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I would like to see farmer get sone more playing time. 2 picks last week and ge doesn't tackle any worse than williams or dismuke

been a while since I've seen anyone on that defense get an interception by actually making a play on the ball.  Most of them seem to come from opportunities like Farmer's 1st one.  I was kinda miffed at him for the 1st TD.  Bad angle and looked pretty slow.  I could see him playing more on passing situations.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

While I like the competition aspect during the week at QB it is somewhat counter-productive as far as developing a game plan for a young QB. For a young guy like Luke it is much more imperative to get him more reps in the game plan and plays than it is for someone who has the starting experience that Martinez does. 

They have been splitting snaps with the 1s all fall.  Shouldn't they both should essentially be prepping the same game plan?

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

They have been splitting snaps with the 1s all fall.  Shouldn't they both should essentially be prepping the same game plan?

The coaches did say it's generally 80/20 to the starter in game weeks, and this staff seems pretty heavy on detailed and unique gameplans week to week. This week is at least starting 50/50, and I really hope we don't come out of it with two underprepared QBs. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Yes and No. Yes as to your base plays. But if you are splitting reps then its difficult to design game plans specific for each game. For instance, if you want to run a variation off of a look you've previously given its tough to give both players a look/reps in practice. Also, the splitting of reps could be a reason we have seen issues in the red zone. Most coaches will dedicate a large chunk of practice on either Wed or Thursday (or both) for red zone offense. In that session its difficult to split the reps and the guy not getting the reps will be significantly behind. If you do split the reps then its tough to have any cohesion with the unit - which I think have witnessed in the first two games. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Yes and No. Yes as to your base plays. But if you are splitting reps then its difficult to design game plans specific for each game. For instance, if you want to run a variation off of a look you've previously given its tough to give both players a look/reps in practice. Also, the splitting of reps could be a reason we have seen issues in the red zone. Most coaches will dedicate a large chunk of practice on either Wed or Thursday (or both) for red zone offense. In that session its difficult to split the reps and the guy not getting the reps will be significantly behind. If you do split the reps then its tough to have any cohesion with the unit - which I think have witnessed in the first two games. 

Understand your point- thanks.