Offensive Trouble

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

I just don’t believe this anymore in 2020. With the portal and juco’s to fill holes it doesn’t have to be an issue. 

Oh I don't disagree with that. Between the recruits we've got and three years to work with guys it shouldn't be a problem. The lack of upper class men in the OL is a problem, but one we need to fix by now. 

12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that 2018 was by far our best OL and AM and the offense looked the best that year. Best RB play that year too. Riley's lack of OL recruits and our inability to develop what we have so far is brutal. Plus too many young RBs. 

Agreed!

46 minutes ago, Undone said:

When Adrian actually has an open receiver to throw to, he hits him. We've got some upperclassmen receivers who aren't very good at creating quick separation and then we've got some young burners who probably are a bit too green still to really change the game.

Losing Spielman was a huge deal.

And having terrible interior blocking - both run and pass blocking - is just killing our offense. Farniok played real bad today, and Jurgens is a complete joke.

Don’t know how big speilman actually is. Wandale’s making the same catches. 

do we never have Omar, Betts or that new receiver in?  I can’t always tell when I’m closing my eyes praying.  Is it unreasonable to shoot them down the sidelines and command that Martinez throws it. Tell him even if it’s an int that is what he’s to do and let these big bodies try to make the play? 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Oh I don't disagree with that. Between the recruits we've got and three years to work with guys it shouldn't be a problem. The lack of upper class men in the OL is a problem, but one we need to fix by now. 

The thing about OL guys is, how often to they jump teams? They’re a pretty loyal bunch. Or is there not enough of really good ones to go around? 

can we ever fix STs?  It seems like with our ginormous roster we should have found a few diamonds in the rough. 

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

But we have a DC who won't pressure a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn even with all day to throw. How do you overcome a dopey guy like that? It's not 3-D chess. Is he really here to coach?

Doctalk with Rob Zatechka gave his opinion of Chin. A good listen. Chin doesn’t understand the intricacies of the 3-4 and how to attack with it. 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Doctalk with Rob Zatechka gave his opinion of Chin. A good listen. Chin doesn’t understand the intricacies of the 3-4 and how to attack with it. 

Chin needs to visit the Steelers and Ravens in the off-season.  Both run a 3-4 and are traditionally two of the best defenses.  Some simple zone blitzing would really be beneficial.  Especially with Iowa who uses tightends over the middle often.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I just don't see any improvement in our offensive line. I see lots of improvement in our D line, though. Jaimes is good and Benhart is pretty good - but as a unit, we're bad.

You can argue that guys like Matt Farniok & Boe Wilson just aren't enough to work with from a talent perspective, maybe. And I'm thinking that over the off-season there will be lots of people that make that very argument, giving Austin a pass.

But our O-line is just as bad this year as it was last year. We have a Center who ruined three drives with bad snaps. What in the actual f***?

Eh, we lost so the few bad plays overshadow the good ones.  Obviously the snaps are terrible.  But Iowa has the #14 rush defense in the country.  They give up 2.6 yards per rush.  If you take out the yards lost on the bad snaps we averaged 4.6 yards per rush.  So I don't think they're nearly as bad overall as some people are trying to make it sound.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, we lost so the few bad plays overshadow the good ones.  Obviously the snaps are terrible.  But Iowa has the #14 rush defense in the country.  They give up 2.6 yards per rush.  If you take out the yards lost on the bad snaps we averaged 4.6 yards per rush.  So I don't think they're nearly as bad overall as some people are trying to make it sound.

Like everybody will say, no such thing as moral victories.. That said, there is a such thing as demoralizing defeats, and if we would have laid and egg like we did last week and come out today and got the doors blown off by 40 giving up 350 yrds rushing and only gaining 150 yards on O, we actually might see the type of team implosion that would cost SF the gig. The boys did play hard today, and I am sad for them that it didn't put a W in the column.. That said, they need to really focus on what that game felt like, because that is how brutal it feels week in and week out in the B10, and they better get acclimated to that feeling. That needs to be the rule, not the exception, before we will ever consistently build towards multiple W's in the column. 

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So then take out the QB draws, where an OLIneman is asked more to slide defenders aside using their rush/momentum to create an opening vs drive them off the ball, or the reverses and where is that average at???

Maybe someday the NCAA will count moral victories as .25 of a win I guess:dunno

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Obviously the snaps are terrible.

The snaps were basically as bad or worse than him having three separate unnecessary roughness penalties. They ruined three drives.

I don't think Farniok really is any better as a Guard than he was as a tackle. Maybe just marginally better.

The muffed punt was really bad also, no doubts there.