What is the future of the Republican Party?

I guess if we need to just brush aside Boebert and Madge as examples of just how deranged the GOP has become because they're so crazy that they cause MAGA to be embarrassed (not sure that's possible but anyway) then there's always this guy

37 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Finally been able to do some research on Johnson. It sure seems that those of you most vocal against his selection are probably correct in that he is not any better than Bobert, Gaetz, Jordan, MGT et al. Legitimate thanks for telling me to dig deeper. Thought I would share some for others who haven't done some research.

I went to accounts I follow on Twitter that are fairly moderate, and are anti Trump. (and one that popped up)

Most of those posts have no substance (i.e. linked proposals, videos, full statements) along with them.   It’s basically “I don’t like the guy and he’s this…..”.  No doubt Mike Johnson voted against election certification, but guess what…..the current minority leader is an election denier too.   Maybe it’s fair both leaders are now election deniers :) 

as far as cutting SS benefits, the RSC has put out a 75 yr plan that looks at the following: 

—raising full retirement age from 67-69

–reduce benefits for above average wage earners.   This would need to be looked at to ensure the above avg means something like 3 times the avg wage earner which I don’t think it currently does.   So area for some compromise with Dems?

—eliminate COLA adjustments for high earners.  Sounds plausible but what constitutes a high earner etc…again area for compromise.  

So this isn’t a take away SS from those low income folks, throw granny off a cliff Dem fear monger proposal like people here make it out to be.  

If we do nothing, social security has drastic automatic cuts for everyone so there’s that. And Biden claims to have pledged no new taxes for those under $400,000 which means not raising FICA.  And as we know, SS is a money in/money out program.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I still can't see why anyone would be against gay marriage.  They should have to suffer just like the straight married couples suffer!

ZING!

No, but for real, if your faith is against it, fine, whatever.  But the government should not have one tiny little say in who a person cam marry, with the exception of age*.  That is it.  Nothing else, not gender, not human, animal anything.  

*We still should be allowed to identify as any age we want.

And marry as many people as we want.  Why is it limited to a single person of you live two or three or four?  You should be able to torture yourself will multiple marriages.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Listen, Devo just served up the definitive post on the subject. You've tried to pretend the far right wing is a clown show that gets too much attention, when in fact it's a clown show that is now driving the party. Admit you were wrong and move on.

Did he thought?  See my reply on SS.   Tell me that studying a long term viable solution to keep it solvent means he wants to gut SS.  Just admit that talk is nonsense and move on. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And marry as many people as we want.  Why is it limited to a single person of you live two or three or four?  You should be able to torture yourself will multiple marriages.  

That is actually very interesting.  Is it technically against the law to marry more than one person?  Or is that just a religious thing?

• Plus1 1

Oops there it is.  The classic MAGA false equivalency enters the chat.

Did Jeffries vote to certify the 2016 presidential election?  Yes

Did Johnson vote to certify the 2020 presidential election? No

Did Jeffries actively work to overturn the 2016 election? No

Did Johnson actively work to overturn the 2020 election even after the courts, including the Supreme Court rejected those claims? Yes

• Thanks 3
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Did he thought?  See my reply on SS.   Tell me that studying a long term viable solution to keep it solvent means he wants to gut SS.  Just admit that talk is nonsense and move on. 

I did not see a post about viable SS solutions. I did see Matt Gaetz assuring us his hard right contingent had won the battle, and pretty much everyone agreeing.

The discussion I was having revolved around your insistence that the hard right camera hogs weren't driving the party, and every piece of evidence suggests otherwise. 

Let me rephrase the question you refused to answer:  what will the GOP be running on this next cycle: adherence to Donald Trump's claims the election was stolen, or viable long term solutions to Social Security?