2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

It's hard to have a ton of confidence in either since they're both inexperienced, but Smothers has had a year (albeit a disjointed one) to learn the offense and acclimate to the speed. Also played with and against a lot more D1 athletes in high school than Haarberg, so a smaller leap to start with.

I can understand the bolded.  But, once in Lincoln, both are going against D1 talent.  Smothers has had one more fall camp. Other than that, this is both player's first spring ball to really get coached.  You might very well be right.  But, if Smother's doesn't have quite the talent they thought he did and they are pleasantly surprised at Haarberg, I could see them being pretty even.

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

If you follow most posts here you know that everyone that went to a C-1 HS benched 350, runs a 4.4 40 and squats 550.

I would like to come clean to the board...

I attended a C-1 school, and I benched maybe 225 and ran a 5.2 40. Those were the days. 

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can understand the bolded.  But, once in Lincoln, both are going against D1 talent.  Smothers has had one more fall camp. Other than that, this is both player's first spring ball to really get coached.  You might very well be right.  But, if Smother's doesn't have quite the talent they thought he did and they are pleasantly surprised at Haarberg, I could see them being pretty even.

I agree with you - I said I didn't have any more confidence in Smothers than I do Haarberg. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find it interesting that he claims Toure appears to be our best WR right now but then goes on to say how much of a physical freak Manning is. 

I like hearing both but am wondering what Toure is doing to make himself stand out.  

I think Toure is really good because he’s a veteran receiver, with good size, and good ability. He’s excelled at the FCS level, and is trying to show he belongs at the Big Ten level. He won’t be the flashiest, but he will probably be the steadiest WR on the team. McKewon says Toure is a legit 6’3”, so that size at the slot will be an improvement over the Wandale and Spielman in recent years. 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Toure is really good because he’s a veteran receiver, with good size, and good ability. He’s excelled at the FCS level, and is trying to show he belongs at the Big Ten level. He won’t be the flashiest, but he will probably be the steadiest WR on the team. McKewon says Toure is a legit 6’3”, so that size at the slot will be an improvement over the Wandale and Spielman in recent years. 

They might end up having 3 of the tallest/biggest WR's in conference. 

• Plus1 1