Media Bias

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The disinformation from right leaning or far right sources gets posted about by 4 or 5 people here already but usually no one but nic and I show the same level of disinformation from these left leaning and far left sources.  

It’s not selective radar, it’s being the one that has to shine light on the disinformation spewed by those who are deemed “quality sources of information”.   When someone posts FoxNews or Hannity or whoever else giving out false or misleading info, I generally don’t push back at all unless there is  a reason to. 

By all means, point out the left-leaning disinformation. You are correct that plenty of other posters will handle the right-wing end of things.

But you also have a long history of tossing up really lazy disinformation from any backwater Twitter account or unvetted blogger that serves your purpose, so sometimes the misleader is you. 

Let's see if we can all do a quick search for multiple sources before harvesting our outrage.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4

32 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm trying to vet this, following our new commitment to each other, but having a hard time finding exact context.

The example may indeed be a horribly callous or biased choice of the Post, but the publication has had no trouble calling these kidnappings, abductions and hostage-taking in every bold headline on the subject. And of course Stephen L. Miller has a 100% partisan agenda himself. 

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 8.51.47 AM.png

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm trying to vet this, following our new commitment to each other, but having a hard time finding exact context.

The example may indeed be a horribly callous or biased choice of the Post, but the publication has had no trouble calling these kidnappings, abductions and hostage-taking in every bold headline on the subject. And of course Stephen L. Miller has a 100% partisan agenda himself. 

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 8.51.47 AM.png

Not following you.   Are you saying Stephen made this up?  

• Plus1 1

Wasn't sure where to put this but this is a bummer, even if it's not surprising:

But Mr. Stewart and Apple executives had disagreements over some of the topics and guests on “The Problem,” two of the people said. Mr. Stewart told members of his staff on Thursday that potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence were causing concern among Apple executives, a person with knowledge of the meeting said. As the 2024 presidential campaign begins to heat up, there was potential for further creative disagreements, one of the people said.

A representative for Apple declined to comment.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Not following you.   Are you saying Stephen made this up?  

I'm saying what I said in the previous post. 

This appears to be a screenshot of a caption in a Washington Post online story, but it doesn't link to the larger story itself --- unless I'm missing something. Always possible.

Given that a quick Google search shows that WaPo has no trouble calling out Hamas for kidnapping, abducting, and hostage taking in every headline on the subject, one might wonder if this use of the word "detained" in a caption for an unseen story has in any way been taken out of context and politicized by Stephen L. Miller, who is more than capable of doing so. 

Really bad choice of words, if true. But you've been good about flushing out liberal "gotcha!" memes that removed important context. Just wondering of this might be that. 

• TBH 1
56 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm saying what I said in the previous post. 

This appears to be a screenshot of a caption in a Washington Post online story, but it doesn't link to the larger story itself --- unless I'm missing something. Always possible.

Given that a quick Google search shows that WaPo has no trouble calling out Hamas for kidnapping, abducting, and hostage taking in every headline on the subject, one might wonder if this use of the word "detained" in a caption for an unseen story has in any way been taken out of context and politicized by Stephen L. Miller, who is more than capable of doing so. 

Really bad choice of words, if true. But you've been good about flushing out liberal "gotcha!" memes that removed important context. Just wondering of this might be that. 

Still no idea what you’re trying to claim here.  Are you wondering if the story even exists?  If the caption was even real?  

Here’s the link if you want I guess….

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Still no idea what you’re trying to claim here.  

Which of my carefully chosen words continues to vex you?

Your most recent attachment shows the tweet in full context and with nothing controversial. If the caption with "detained" was since corrected per the outrage, shame on WaPo. If the original headline contained words like "captivity" "living hell" and "hostages" it would be hard to accuse WaPo of Hamas-coddling, and that's the part of Miller's retweet you couldn't see. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Which of my carefully chosen words continues to vex you?

Ya pretty much all of your word salad.   Either you believe the original caption was written that way or you don’t.   Either way I don’t really care, but it seems you are desperately trying to make excuses for what the rest of us deem an extremely poor choice of words with a stealth edit instead of a much needed correction.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was a big Daily Show fan. Watched three or four episodes of The Problem, and it never seemed to click for me.

Stewart had a bit more "freedom" with his new show and with the fact that he is super loaded now, he was more able to do it how he wanted to do it and I guess it just rubbed Apple the wrong way.  They were clearly hoping for Daily Show II.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ya pretty much all of your word salad.   Either you believe the original caption was written that way or you don’t.   Either way I don’t really care, but it seems you are desperately trying to make excuses for what the rest of us deem an extremely poor choice of words with a stealth edit instead of a much needed correction.

No. All that was included in my carefully crafted post, including the extremely poor choice of words part.

But like you, I'm aware that partisan flame-throwers often leave out critical context to whip up outrage, and given that WaPo was using Hostage, Abducted, and Kidnapped prominently in its many headlines on the subject, I was wondering if the one word in the one caption made the larger case for WaPo pro-Hamas bias. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Stewart had a bit more "freedom" with his new show and with the fact that he is super loaded now, he was more able to do it how he wanted to do it and I guess it just rubbed Apple the wrong way.  They were clearly hoping for Daily Show II.

He assembled a very young and diverse group of reporter/commentators around him, and even seemed to defer to them, as if he's aware he's a cranky old white guy now and has the power and responsibility to be generous. But it was a panelist show, like CNN and Fox panelist shows, and being just a bit hipper and funnier didn't make it either news or entertainment for me. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He assembled a very young and diverse group of reporter/commentators around him, and even seemed to defer to them, as if he's aware he's a cranky old white guy now and has the power and responsibility to be generous. But it was a panelist show, like CNN and Fox panelist shows, and being just a bit hipper and funnier didn't make it either news or entertainment for me. 

Maybe he tried to be everything to everyone?  Who knows, he had a formula that worked really well but maybe he just wanted to try things his way.

• Plus1 1