Media Bias

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What was the cost compared to what it was sold as costing?

This was the epitome of military industrial complex going bat s#!t crazy with no checks and balances. 

Yeah... It wasn't the technology that made it uber expensive causing budget over runs it was our military making major last minute program scope changes and trying to create a Figher Jet for all with an AF, Navy, and USMC version. Also, I would guess we don't properly push back on the suppliers to get the best possible deals.

14 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I fairly frequently see comments in relation to fighter jets along these lines of, "it's lightyears ahead" or "the platform is tremendous" or whatever.

As someone that knows literally nothing about jets, can somebody fill me in? Like it can fly, shoot, track, is fast, etc. But jets have been able to do that for decades, so what's the deal?

I wouldn't say it's light years, but it is probably the second best gen 5 fighter out there next to the Raptor (which is coming up on 20 years old). The F-35 has some of the best stealth technology out there, but the F-22 is still better. F- 22 also has super cruise (able to travel relatively long distances at Mach speeds), which the F-35 does not. F-22 also has thrust vectoring (better maneuverability), and F-35 does not. F-35 is a super computer though; target information can be shared between each fighter or AWACs to more effectively track and kill target and remain stealthy (enemies can track an aircraft's radar emissions). The jamming technology is newer/better. All the software has 20 years of improvements basically. We're not to torrenting on DSL anymore, we're streaming on fiber!

All that said, the Russia SU-57 seems like a fraud. The stealth is poor at best (exposed screws and rivets, you can see the jet engine compressor blades, no coating on the canopy means the pilot and cockpit give a radar return). It is more maneuverable though, but that doesn't matter these days when you have missiles that travel hundreds of miles. Now the Chinese J-20, that's more worrisome. They have a much better grasp of what is needed to be effective than the Russians...

• TBH 1

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So what happens when the facts lean in one direction? 

And by that I mean the body of evidence, not the anomaly that gets people excited. 

Ultimately, media and information literacy is achievable but only with good education and a desire to want to be literate and engage with the parts of your brain that require more resources. Start with the basics (is there an author and a date, are the sources documented and verifiable, is there editorialization in the writing, etc.) then move on to cross referencing, aggregating different perspectives or at least different sources and so on.

I haven't tested it, but something like this site is potentially a promising development in our current journey of journalistic erosion and social media noise. 

https://ground.news/

It tries to give a complete picture of not just the story but the coverage of the story, giving multiple perspectives and revealing bias amongst and across different platforms.

I'm curious why everyone is willing to throw NPR into the trash heap of biased journalism based on one person's statement. 

How much vetting has been done on Berliner's allegations? 

Here's one thread about that. 

These are just the first few posts. It's a long thread. Berliner does regurgitate Republican talking points that we keep seeing right here on HuskerBoard from everyone's favorite goalpost-mover. 

Why does someone who's apparently willing to fudge facts get so much up-front credibility?  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1

Hmmmm 87 Democrat points of view on the editorial board and zero Republican points of view.   But yeah, it’s down the middle or something.  :dunno  And we gotta tear down the dude who started to expose it.  LOL.   

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1