Media Bias

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've read that. There's nothing really incriminating in that article, especially for President Biden. That's why I'm asking what the big deal is.

But you're right about the provenance of the laptop - anyone beating this drum who doesn't acknowledge the exceedingly shady and circuitous path this thing took to where it is today isn't being honest about the conversation. 

Or how easy it is to create deep fakes in this day and age. 

• Plus1 2

56 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've read that. There's nothing really incriminating in that article, especially for President Biden. That's why I'm asking what the big deal is.

But you're right about the provenance of the laptop - anyone beating this drum who doesn't acknowledge the exceedingly shady and circuitous path this thing took to where it is today isn't being honest about the conversation. 

I see no way anyone could be prosecuted for anything on the laptop due to no way of verifying the validity of what people saw was on it.

This is nothing more than political dirt.

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see no way anyone could be prosecuted for anything on the laptop due to no way of verifying the validity of what people saw was on it.

This is nothing more than political dirt.

I think maybe that's why most of the major news outlets were hesitant to run this story. 

The provenance of the data is exceedingly questionable. Here's a good article about the machinations that led up to the announcement of the data's existence, and raises some really good questions about the motives of those involved.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-04-02/forgotten-ignored-context-emergence-hunter-biden-laptop-story-5560890.html

The FBI had the laptop by at least October, 2020. The bloated cheeto was in office four more months, and could have directed them to disclose what they found on the device. Today, we still don't know of anything incriminating to President Biden, and really of anything that points to a crime by Hunter.

But here we are, three years after the conveniently blind computer repair guy was given three computers, with zero credible evidence of a crime. 

The provenance of the laptop seems like a much bigger story than the laptop itself. But that would require critical thinking and some questions that some people wouldn't want to answer, so it's easier just to have a Pavlovian reaction to "laptop." 

Much like, "but her emails." Which, oddly, also turned out to be a big nothingburger. Weird how that works.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

In all the thumb wrestling over Hunter's laptop and the media, does anyone know what incriminating evidence has been found on this thing? Is Hunter in trouble for the laptop's contents, or is Joe?

Not sure yet. So far, this doesn't change my opinion of Biden for the worse or anything and it wouldn't have if properly reported in 2020 either.  His son is a train wreck. It happens. I have  sympathy for any parent with a difficult kids. We are trying to keep ours making good decision as well.  The only reason I bring it up is because I believe some media outlets and social media purposefully ignored and misrepresented the story because they were worried it would affect the election like the Clinton email leak did. The prospect of Trump possibly winning was enough for them to sweep this under the rug and in some cases suggest it was false. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
15 hours ago, ZRod said:

And my point was that the older and more trusted forms of media didn't really have an issue with the dossier or the laptop (whether or not they were real or fake), they were political fodder that was treated almost the same. Stories weren't published about them until after the election. This isn't something major news outlets struggle with. They have a robust editorial review process and have been in these waters many times. They make mistakes but generally they get it right.

You have a lot more faith in the media than I do. Right or Left. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, nic said:

Not sure yet. So far, this doesn't change my opinion of Biden for the worse or anything and it wouldn't have if properly reported in 2020 either.  His son is a train wreck. It happens. I have  sympathy for any parent with a difficult kids. We are trying to keep ours making good decision as well.  The only reason I bring it up is because I believe some media outlets and social media purposefully ignored and misrepresented the story because they were worried it would affect the election like the Clinton email leak did. The prospect of Trump possibly winning was enough for them to sweep this under the rug and in some cases suggest it was false. 

That's not surprising. You've been told that by certain media outlets you trust. The same media outlets who happen to have pushed this October Surprise. 

A critical look at the facts (read that Stars & Stripes article I linked) should make any unbiased person very hesitant about  the veracity of that information. 

21 minutes ago, nic said:

You have a lot more faith in the media than I do. Right or Left. 

You clearly trust some media. Let's not pretend that you equally distrust "the right and the left" media. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's not surprising. You've been told that by certain media outlets you trust. The same media outlets who happen to have pushed this October Surprise. 

A critical look at the facts (read that Stars & Stripes article I linked) should make any unbiased person very hesitant about  the veracity of that information. 

You clearly trust some media. Let's not pretend that you equally distrust "the right and the left" media. 

This will get some kool-aids, but I continue to read articles from both sides. Yes Fox is bias. I can't help that. I view the left media as bias as well.  And yes, the release of this story was timed on purpose, because NYPost is biased toward the right. It doesn't make the story less true and it doesn't make the left media reaction to it correct. I know you think CNN and others are not bias but your wrong. There is nothing about them that gives them the moral high ground. They are just as much bastions of group think just like fox. Twitter pulled the NYPost story from their platform and I believe temporarily pulled their account. I guess they got that one wrong.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, nic said:

It doesn't make the story less true and it doesn't make the left media reaction to it correct.

What is true about the story? 

1 minute ago, nic said:

I know you think CNN and others are not bias but your wrong.

I have never made any such claim. 

2 minutes ago, nic said:

Twitter pulled the NYPost story from their platform and I believe temporarily pulled their account. I guess they got that one wrong.

Why is that wrong?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
53 minutes ago, nic said:

Or, and hear me out, they didnt have enough or any information needed other than what would spark a wildfire of conspiracy theory. You know, like the thing fox news did. Good "journalism" huh. Point at something, draw crazy conclusions, report, repeat. 

Give me evidence.

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Or, and hear me out, they didnt have enough or any information needed other than what would spark a wildfire of conspiracy theory. You know, like the thing fox news did. Good "journalism" huh. Point at something, draw crazy conclusions, report, repeat. 

Give me evidence.

I think they had a lot of information, including that it was weeks before the election, Giuliani was openly shopping for dirt on Biden, the info being proffered was a copy of a questionably-gotten computer, and nothing pointed at a crime by the candidate. 

The media learned a lesson, maybe, from the wikileaks dump in 2016. "Fool me once," and all that. 

• Plus1 2

56 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Give me evidence.

Boy that sure stopped them from reporting on the fake dossier!!  Remember all those “big if true” stories and the “if true the walls are closing stories”……..that turned out to be false.   

BTW…..a grand jury is currently convened for the Hunter Biden issue.   

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

What is true about the story? 

Seriously?

I have never made any such claim. 

That’s fair.

Why is that wrong?

Why did Twitter remove the NYPost tweet? What policy did it violate?

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, nic said:

Seriously?

Seriously. As the biggest pusher of this story here, surely you must be able to easily explain the fact and the fiction of all of it. 

It can't just be you falling for right wing propaganda. So please explain the salient points of story for us. Thanks!

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:
FPmQOrmWUAETsEb?format=jpg&name=orig

The disinformation campaign is working as planned. Once you get them to stop trusting the news you become the only source they trust.

From then on you can tell them anything you want.  They'll believe it, and they'll even defend you to skeptics. 

• Plus1 3