Media Bias

Washington Post sacrifices journalistic integrity in 2020 and now admits the Hunter Biden laptop story is real in 2022.  Russian Disinformation with help from Twitter and Facebook and others to its a real story. Was it a mistake?Nope, they were afraid of any October surprise that might help Trump in the election and put forth a concerted effort to discredit the story. I think Twitter removed the NY Post story and temporary banned them. But, of course the only biased media is Fox News.:zoom

2022:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/30/hunter-biden-china-laptop/

2020:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/10/15/facebook-twitter-hunter-biden/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/10/24/hunter-biden-laptop-disinformation/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/10/14/hunter-bidens-alleged-laptop-an-explainer/

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 3/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, Archy1221 said:

If this were Fox, CNN, or MSNBC I could understand the slanted coverage, but AP tries to say they are an unbiased source of news.   This helps confirms what we all knew about them.

The implication here is that these two tweets are biased against Republicans, right? But I don't see a significant difference between them. What am I missing?

Additionally, what does it confirm that we knew about the AP? That they're owned and operated by human beings? Generally speaking, the AP is fairly objective/unbiased. They're not perfect and they never will be but they're certainly better than most.

But if we're going to "gotcha" them for self-identifying as a trusted source of unbiased news then we should also probably talk about how a lot of Omaha plumbers all claim they're the best and most trusted plumber every time I see their advertisements.:lol:

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, Enhance said:
On 3/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, Archy1221 said:

The implication here is that these two tweets are biased against Republicans, right? But I don't see a significant difference between them. What am I missing?

The tone of the words in the tweet.  If you can’t acknowledge that, there is no reason to discuss further IMO.

31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Additionally, what does it confirm that we knew about the AP? That they're owned and operated by human beings?

That the people who work there allow their political bias to shine through their work.  Even though AP is held up as an org that is right down the middle just giving the news, which we know to not be true.   If they would just admit they slant left it would be more respectable.  

33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

But if we're going to "gotcha" them for self-identifying as a trusted source of unbiased news then we should also probably talk about how a lot of Omaha plumbers all claim they're the best and most trusted plumber every time I see their advertisements.:lol:

If that’s what your going for in comparing plumbing companies to news companies and their biases then go for it.   I believe you are comparing apples to polar bears in this instance.   Interesting use of “gotcha” though.  I would consider it more calling out the AP for not holding to their “unbiased news and headlines” the claim to be known for.   I guess all the FoxNews calls outs on the board are just “gotcha’s” :lol:  (BTW…much of those were deserved IMO) 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The tone of the words in the tweet.  If you can’t acknowledge that, there is no reason to discuss further IMO.

That the people who work there allow their political bias to shine through their work.  Even though AP is held up as an org that is right down the middle just giving the news, which we know to not be true.   If they would just admit they slant left it would be more respectable.  

If that’s what your going for in comparing plumbing companies to news companies and their biases then go for it.   I believe you are comparing apples to polar bears in this instance.   Interesting use of “gotcha” though.  I would consider it more calling out the AP for not holding to their “unbiased news and headlines” the claim to be known for.   I guess all the FoxNews calls outs on the board are just “gotcha’s” :lol:  (BTW…much of those were deserved IMO) 

- MY GOD does the right wing have a victimhood complex. Written language can be interpreted in many different ways, and has been the result of many many misunderstandings in corporate communications. If you are reading a "tone" into either of these not at all offending tweets, it more clearly identifies the readers bias, not the writers. 

- Sounds more like crybabies looking for a reason to justify their faux outrage than anything to me. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Where did I say I can or can't acknowledge anything? My question was innocuous. Seems like you misjudged my tone.

"Tone" via text is highly interpretative and tells me absolutely nothing. So, again, what am I missing?

That the people who work there allow their political bias to shine through their work. Even though AP is held up as an org that is right down the middle just giving the news, which we know to not be true.  

If they would just admit they slant left it would be more respectable.  

I personally doubt that, at least not in the eyes of people who get worked up about this kind of stuff. If they admitted a left lean, as you suggest they need to, then they would just be another 'left leaning outlet' to disregard.

They claim they're 50/50. You want them to claim they're what, 55/45? 60/40? OK. That would still make them one of the largest, more unbiased news sources in America.

If that’s what your going for in comparing plumbing companies to news companies and their biases then go for it.   I believe you are comparing apples to polar bears in this instance.   Interesting use of “gotcha” though.  I would consider it more calling out the AP for not holding to their “unbiased news and headlines” the claim to be known for.   I guess all the FoxNews calls outs on the board are just “gotcha’s”   (BTW…much of those were deserved IMO)

I think you missed the point which was that the AP is a business, just like plumbers, electricians, whatever industry you may work in, the industry I work in, etc. Everybody has their "marketing" messaging i.e. "we're the state's #1 at this," "we're the most unbiased," "we do this better than everybody else," rabble rabble rabble.

Only pedants buy these statements as they're presented. Most reasonable people know that even a place like the AP is subject to the whims and biases of its people, and if the tweets provided here are evidence that they need to come out and admit their liberalism... woof. Talk about hyper-sensitivity.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

And Bill Maher agrees...i need to have a beer with this guy. 

Maher continued, "So the New York Post got a hold of what was in the computer. And, you know, because the New York Post is a Republican paper, and The New York Times and The Washington Post are the Democratic paper…  And the Republican paper, Twitter… canceled their account! They can't even report on this story. And now two years later, The New York Times and The Washington Post have come around and say, ‘Okay, there was something there.'"

• Plus1 1