Insurrection fallout

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s clear that these people really don’t care about America as a viable peaceful country.  They want power and turmoil. 

As the Tweet below notes,  a failed coup is a dress rehearsal.  If we don't put the leaders of this coup in jail with long sentences, then we have no one to blame when

the real coup occurs. 

• Plus1 3

Why the Big Lie continues.   One last big con for Don the Con 

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) rebuked Republicans who have abetted former President Trump's false claims about the 2020 election, telling ABC's "This Week" on Sunday they're manipulating and exploiting voters for political gain.

The backdrop: Kinzinger, one of two Republicans serving on the House Jan. 6 select committee, has long been a prominent Trump critic and has faced threats stemming from his work investigating the Capitol riot.

What they're saying: "Ladies and gentlemen, particularly my Republican friends, your leaders, by and large, have been lying to you," Kinzinger said.

• "They know stuff that's very different than what they're telling you. They know the election wasn't stolen, but they're going to send out fundraising requests, they're going to take your money from you and they're going to use you to stay in power. You're being abused."
  • "You can be mad at Liz Cheney and I. That's fine. We've been taking this for a while. We're not the ones lying to you," Kinzinger added, later naming House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy as one of the "liars."

Kinzinger addressed the Department of Justice's investigation into the Capitol riot, saying, "I certainly hope they're moving forward. I certainly think there's evidence of crimes and I think it goes all the way up to Donald Trump."

• Plus1 3

Poor :Frosty:   To think I use to have 3 books by Mark Levin and I thought he was soooo smart ( I said so back in the day on HB:facepalm:).  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/josh-hawley-s-humiliation-by-jan-6-committee-unconstitutional-mark-levin/ar-AAZVRsP?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=79eb8b3f6ca9441abca53bea47082281

Josh Hawley's Humiliation by Jan. 6 Committee 'Unconstitutional'—Mark Levin

Is it unconstitutional to embarrass a politician simply by presenting evidence of their own contradictory behavior? That is what Fox News host Mark Levin is claiming, accusing the Jan. 6 committee of violating Article 1 of the Constitution by ridiculing Republican Senator Josh Hawley at its latest hearing.

At last Thursday's hearing, the Jan. 6 committee showed footage of Hawley running away from the Capitol on the day of the attack only a few hours after the senator from Missouri greeted rioters with a raised fist salute.

After seeing the brief clip of the senator jogging through the Capitol's halls and trotting down staircases to flee the mob taking over the building, the audience of reporters, congressional aides, security staff, and visitors in the committee room burst out laughing.

It was an embarrassing moment for Hawley, who prided himself on supporting the pro-Trump crowd on January 6, 2021, before it turned violent and who has made "Show-me strong!" his motto. But Levin now maintains it was also unconstitutional—as he believes the whole Jan. 6 committee's investigation is.

"Congress doesn't have plenary powers to do whatever it wants," Levin said on his show "Life, Liberty & Levin" on Fox News on Sunday.

"It's very specific, we got Article 1 and there's a long list of powers, it's the longest article in the Constitution of Congress' powers. [...] You can study it and study it and study it and you will not find the power to conduct a criminal investigation because it violates separation of powers," he said.

"You can tell from the latest hearing, the aides' hearing, the prime-time hearing that the media salivate over and slobber over, what a joke this is," Levin later added.

"How they tried to humiliate Senator Hawley, it's really not about Jan. 6," he said, adding that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, whom he called "the main witness of Jan. 6" has been "effectively immunized by the committee," whose members he says she single-handedly appointed.

"Article 1 provides no such authority. None, to the Congress of the United States," Levin said.

"So everything that they're doing, which is openly and affirmatively criminal in nature, is a violation of separation of powers," he said.

Touching briefly on the topic of the effective bipartisanship of the Jan. 6 committee, Levin calls the Republicans' part in the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riots "phony."

"When you get these phony Republicans like [Rep. Adam] Kinzinger and [Rep. Liz] Cheney waving the Constitution around, they're not waving around our Constitution, perhaps it's the 1934 Soviet Constitution, but it ain't ours," he said with a smirk.

That Levin does not recognize the authority of the Jan. 6 committee is something that he has made clear for a while now.

Earlier this month Levin called the hearings a "show trial," led by "a rogue committee appointed by Nancy Pelosi." He has also expressed the wish that people do not watch the trial but watch his show instead.

On Sunday, he called the hearings "illegitimate" and said they presented "no actual facts" because, he claimed, "there isn't any."

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Poor :Frosty:   To think I use to have 3 books by Mark Levin and I thought he was soooo smart ( I said so back in the day on HB:facepalm:).  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/josh-hawley-s-humiliation-by-jan-6-committee-unconstitutional-mark-levin/ar-AAZVRsP?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=79eb8b3f6ca9441abca53bea47082281

These people are caught in their own web.  They always have been party hacks.  Sure, it was easy to push the Republican mantra back in the day, because it was much more mainstream and, for the most part, the politicians played within the lines and norms of Washington. 

NOW...these guys are expected to still be party hacks, but now they have to defend the indefensible.  They have to go on their little podcasts and somehow come up with some speech about how horrible anything is that makes Republicans look bad.....and in the end.....these guys are proving what they always have been......nothing but paid idiots to say whatever Republicans want them to say.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

These people are caught in their own web.  They always have been party hacks.  Sure, it was easy to push the Republican mantra back in the day, because it was much more mainstream and, for the most part, the politicians played within the lines and norms of Washington. 

NOW...these guys are expected to still be party hacks, but now they have to defend the indefensible.  They have to go on their little podcasts and somehow come up with some speech about how horrible anything is that makes Republicans look bad.....and in the end.....these guys are proving what they always have been......nothing but paid idiots to say whatever Republicans want them to say.

Yes, when Trump first announced for  the presidency back in 2015, Levin basically said Trump was a loser, a fraud and not 'one of us'.  But he like Hannity, Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Rubio have all become brown nosers after originally telling everyone how bad trump was.  

• Plus1 2

The dozens of emails among people connected to the Trump campaign, outside advisers and close associates of Mr. Trump show a particular focus on assembling lists of people who would claim — with no basis — to be Electoral College electors on his behalf in battleground states that he had lost.

In emails reviewed by The New York Times and authenticated by people who had worked with the Trump campaign at the time, one lawyer involved in the detailed discussions repeatedly used the word “fake” to refer to the so-called electors, who were intended to provide Vice President Mike Pence and Mr. Trump’s allies in Congress a rationale for derailing the congressional process of certifying the outcome. And lawyers working on the proposal made clear they knew that the pro-Trump electors they were putting forward might not hold up to legal scrutiny.

• Plus1 3

52 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I wonder how many of these fake electors are now trembling in their boots in regards to their future fate??  A fate they all deserve.  

As they organized the fake elector scheme, lawyers appointed a “point person” in seven states to help organize those electors who were willing to sign their names to false documents. In Pennsylvania, that point person was Douglas V. Mastriano, a proponent of Mr. Trump’s lies of a stolen election who is now the Republican nominee for governor.

On Dec. 7, Mr. Troupis, who worked for the Trump campaign in Wisconsin, wrote to Mr. Epshteyn that there was “no need for the legislators to act.” He cited Mr. Chesebro’s legal analysis that the key to Mr. Trump’s hopes was not blocking state certification of the electors on Dec. 14, but creating a reason for Mr. Pence to block or delay congressional certification of the Electoral College results on Jan. 6.

“The second slate just shows up at noon on Monday and votes and then transmits the results,” Mr. Troupis wrote of organizing Republican slates of electors to cast ballots for Mr. Trump on Dec. 14. “It is up to Pence on Jan 6 to open them. Our strategy, which we believe is replicable in all 6 contested states, is for the electors to meet and vote so that an interim decision by a Court to certify Trump the winner can be executed on by the Court ordering the Governor to issue whatever is required to name the electors. The key nationally would be for all six states to do it so the election remains in doubt until January.”

• Plus1 1