Insurrection fallout

Listen, I'm all for putting Trump in jail. The most uncomfortable jail possible.

But I'm afraid that's just the beginning. 

a) Does that mean Trump has taken the fall absolving a GOP that waited till the last second before declaring Trump had gone too far? Or having already charted and enabled this course, do his acolytes simply continue their unapologetic march to the far right while the Dems and Sensible Republicans are busy patting themselves on the back for jailing Orange Bad Man?  Several states have seen Trump's hoax as a lesson plan, and have restructured their electoral procedures in order to pull it off more cleanly next time.

b) Having watched an armed violent racist sub-culture emerge from the shadows, express fealty to Trump, and elect their own armed violent congress-people, does the sight of Donald Trump in a perp walk raising his fist launch a civil war far more than quell it?

c) Is there any criminal prosecution of Trump and associates that clever lawyers couldn't escalate to the Supreme Court, where all bets are now off? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Listen, I'm all for putting Trump in jail. The most uncomfortable jail possible.

a) Does that mean Trump has taken the fall absolving a GOP that waited till the last second before declaring Trump had gone too far? Or having already charted and enabled this course, do his acolytes simply continue their unapologetic march to the far right while the Dems and Sensible Republicans are busy patting themselves on the back for jailing Orange Bad Man?  Several states have seen Trump's hoax as a lesson plan, and have restructured their electoral procedures in order to pull it off more cleanly next time.

b) Having watched an armed violent racist sub-culture emerge from the shadows, express fealty to Trump, and elect their own armed violent congress-people, does the sight of Donald Trump in a perp walk raising his fist launch a civil war far more than quell it?

c) Is there any criminal prosecution of Trump and associates that clever lawyers couldn't escalate to the Supreme Court, where all bets are now off? 

There are a certain number of Americans that will never see Trump for what he is.  That includes politicians like MTG, Geatz, Gym Jordan....etc.  It's sad that we will probably have even more of them in congress next year.

But, reasonable people have to keep moving forward with this.

And...it's why I can not vote for any Republican that has Trump stink on them.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Trump is jailed, and he should be, there WILL be violence in the street and not just in DC.  I suspect all 7 states where the fake electors were being created will see violence against their statehouses.  Remember the kidnapping plot against MI Governor Whitmer & the near riot at the MI statehouse - that may be small potatoes after this is over. 

However,  as BRB notes below, reasonable people of both parties must move forward.  We must bring everyone to justice who had a hand in this.  That includes Trumps enablers in the Congress.   Proud Boy and Oath Keepers leaders must receive max penalties if convicted. It is very, very important that the Dems maintain control of Congress during the next 2 years.  All hell will break out if they don't.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with both points. Since I live in perhaps the redest of the red states, that guarantees I'll be voting indep or Dem.  

• Plus1 3

The HuskerBoard BBS is brimming with smart people, including current and former Republicans who do not want Trump to run, would never vote for him, reject the Big Lie in absolute terms, would be fine with Trump going to jail, and generally push back against the crazy rightwingers now battling for virtually every state and local election under the GOP banner.

That should make me feel better about the country. 

But the stats just aren't there. According to almost every poll and primary, you guys are wildly outnumbered. 

This is what I mean by an echo chamber. The people who are enabling this madhouse do not step up to explain or defend themselves. You'd almost think they aren't there. But they are. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are a certain number of Americans that will never see Trump for what he is.  That includes politicians like MTG, Geatz, Gym Jordan....etc.  It's sad that we will probably have even more of them in congress next year.

Exactly. While @Guy Chamberlin raised some valid points/questions, they all pale in comparison to doing nothing. Things will get even worse if there are no consequences.

40 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The HuskerBoard BBS is brimming with smart people, including current and former Republicans who do not want Trump to run, would never vote for him, reject the Big Lie in absolute terms, would be fine with Trump going to jail, and generally push back against the crazy rightwingers now battling for virtually every state and local election under the GOP banner.

That should make me feel better about the country. 

But the stats just aren't there. According to almost every poll and primary, you guys are wildly outnumbered. 

This is what I mean by an echo chamber. The people who are enabling this madhouse do not step up to explain or defend themselves. You'd almost think they aren't there. But they are. 

It’s a conundrum for sure. I don’t have a complete explanation but am convinced many have been thoroughly brainwashed (not hyperbole). Many of these enablers and still diehard republicans are either dishonest in their discourse and/or seriously uninformed. You wouldn’t pick up on it in face to face conversation. They’ll tell you one thing that seems fairly reasonable yet they’ll do something else. To a degree they realize how bats#!t most of this is but they hit the party wall and refuse or are incapable of crossing over it. I don’t know why. I’m sure in most cases they don’t know why.

As far as the echo chamber thing, sure it would liven things up around here but you’re fooling yourself if you think it would provide valuable insight. We already know they will interact dishonestly. How many dyed in the wool racists will admit they are a racist? This is not to say all of them are racists but it is an example. We’ve both seen the far right MAGA represented on HB. IMO it’s a severe stretch to think more of that would make things better in any way. Like I said, I sure don’t have all the answers but discussing with people who are dishonest with themselves and others, who ignore facts, who avoid logic and reason…..pretty hard to derive any value from that. At best it would only display more brain disease.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1