Insurrection fallout

On 7/27/2022 at 1:39 PM, JJ Husker said:

Exactly. While @Guy Chamberlin raised some valid points/questions, they all pale in comparison to doing nothing. Things will get even worse if there are no consequences.

Well my whole point is that we need to do more and demand consequences, and that it should come from all the Republicans who appear to agree but prefer the safety of silence, and Dems who've been too reluctant to do anything more than the symbolic.  

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well my whole point is that we need to do more and demand consequences, and that it should come from all the Republicans who appear to agree but prefer the safety of silence, and Dems who've been too reluctant to do anything more than the symbolic.  

I may have misunderstand the intention of the post below. I took it to mean that you were concerned about the consequences of indicting or convicting Trump. I guess I misread it.  I agree, there are obviously undesired consequences but, like you, I think the only way forward and to stomp out this crap once and for all is to pursue and convict and keep it up for as long as it takes and wherever and to whomever it leads. We simply cannot allow an attempted coup and the assault on free elections.  Remember when it was said Trump could shoot somebody in the middle 5th Avenue and nobody would care? Well I'd prefer that scenario got turned around. I know I wouldn't care, I'd actually be overjoyed. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:21 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Listen, I'm all for putting Trump in jail. The most uncomfortable jail possible.

But I'm afraid that's just the beginning. 

a) Does that mean Trump has taken the fall absolving a GOP that waited till the last second before declaring Trump had gone too far? Or having already charted and enabled this course, do his acolytes simply continue their unapologetic march to the far right while the Dems and Sensible Republicans are busy patting themselves on the back for jailing Orange Bad Man?  Several states have seen Trump's hoax as a lesson plan, and have restructured their electoral procedures in order to pull it off more cleanly next time.

b) Having watched an armed violent racist sub-culture emerge from the shadows, express fealty to Trump, and elect their own armed violent congress-people, does the sight of Donald Trump in a perp walk raising his fist launch a civil war far more than quell it?

c) Is there any criminal prosecution of Trump and associates that clever lawyers couldn't escalate to the Supreme Court, where all bets are now off? 

16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I may have misunderstand the intention of the post below. I took it to mean that you were concerned about the consequences of indicting or convicting Trump. I guess I misread it.  I agree, there are obviously undesired consequences but, like you, I think the only way forward and to stomp out this crap once and for all is to pursue and convict and keep it up for as long as it takes and wherever and to whomever it leads. We simply cannot allow an attempted coup and the assault on free elections.  Remember when it was said Trump could shoot somebody in the middle 5th Avenue and nobody would care? Well I'd prefer that scenario got turned around. I know I wouldn't care, I'd actually be overjoyed. 

I see what you're saying. I'm just warning that there's a lot of sandbagging out there to prevent real consequences, and more people need to work twice as hard to reverse this takeover.

When I hear sensible Republicans admit they can't budge friends and relatives on these subjects, it makes me think we still have a long way to the bottom. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I see what you're saying. I'm just warning that there's a lot of sandbagging out there to prevent real consequences, and more people need to work twice as hard to reverse this takeover.

When I hear sensible Republicans admit they can't budge friends and relatives on these subjects, it makes me think we still have a long way to the bottom. 

Yes, it is a long way to the bottom.  I have family members who have fallen deep into the cult.  Most of what I've seen is that too many people refuse to do the hard work of 'thinking'.  It is much easier to latch on to a talking head and let them do the thinking for you.  Too much of the country has become intellectually lazy.  It takes work to cut through the lies, disinformation and distractions but out by Q, the Cult and the Cult leader.   My sis in law said that some things are just too hard to believe but she had to believe it because she 'trusted' the source (an internet 'media' type).  If it is too good to be true it probably isn't and if it is too hard to believe (suspending one's own reasoning ability) it probably shouldn't be believed.  

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh you’re definitely correct. It isn’t going to be quick or easy and it will require at least some republicans to disassociate themselves from the lunatic fringe to get nearer to where we want to be.

Well, well now we're getting that come to Jesus vibe.   

If this guy and other co-conspirators feel so pressured to flip flop on Trump, I wonder where the squeeze is coming from.   I guess maybe from Utahns but from all indications Lee is comfortably out polling McMullin.   

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Ok so electing Trump is up to voters (instead of impeaching him) but you trust electors not voters and you want electors to be able to be chosen at a few peoples’ whim. Makes a lot of sense. 

Hey now!  Careful asking those completely reasonable and obvious questions!

You might actually expose the bulls#!t!