***Official 2021 College Football Thread***

suh_fan93

29 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Maybe the top-tier powers with national recruiting organizations are grabbing many of the the blue-chip prospects from everyone else?

I think it's kind of the opposite.  There are more players to go around so there's no longer much difference between the Power 5 bottom feeders and most everyone else (except the few elites).  And the Group of 5 teams are also much better than they were 20-30 years ago.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think it's kind of the opposite.  There are more players to go around so there's no longer much difference between the Power 5 bottom feeders and most everyone else (except the few elites).  And the Group of 5 teams are also much better than they were 20-30 years ago.

Right on, that is an excellent point and a powerful effect for sure.  The Washington example fits here nicely, since I believe they have historically recruited out of state,  3 star-ish players from CA.

But what is the expression, two things can both be true.

I think my original point is happening as well, where national elite recruiting powers have hurt many programs by taking recruits those programs may have gotten more easily in the past.

This article from a USC site points out several examples:

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/19/building-a-fence-around-california-not-in-this-era-for-usc-trojans-in-recruiting/

The USC Trojans have long said that building a fence around California is the best way to maintain success in the game of college football. One of the first things Pete Carroll did when he took the job at USC was work to rebuild the fence around California recruiting, bringing in the state’s best players and convincing them that USC was the place to play. The plan worked for a good while, but then it fell apart when schools such as Alabama and Clemson were able to convince kids in California to leave for greater riches on the opposite side of the country.

(It is amusing how the USC article uses the words 'greater riches' LOL, given how the Pete Carroll situation went down)

And here about Texas:

Take Texas for example. Ohio State has enjoyed more four and five stars out of Texas than the Longhorns. Why? The program wins.

OSU (7) has 3 more pledges from 5-stars in Texas than UT (4) since 17:
Browning(OSU, '17)
Okudah(OSU, '17)
Foster(UT, '18)
Sterns (UT, '18)
Wilson (OSU, '19)
Whittington(UT, '19)
Smith-Njigba (OSU, '20)
Jackson (OSU, '21)
Sanders (UT, '21)
Ewers (OSU, '22)
Burton (OSU, ‘22)

Not to say USC and Texas couldn't get things going and start to get those recruits (and others nationally), but the elite recruiting sharks now tend to find and nab the top recruits wherever they live.

One more quote from the article:

Florida and Florida State have to deal with Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia poaching their best in-state players. That also never used to be a thing. In short, it has become nearly impossible to put up a fence, as they call it. There’s just too much competition.

Miami too.   The three major Florida schools really stink this year!

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think it was here that someone mentioned that talented players would rather go start for Baylor then spend two years riding the pine in Oklahoma.  In fact years back he used exactly those two schools. 

CFB playoff ranking

1. Georgia 10-0

2. Alabama 9-1

3. Cincinnati 10-0

4. Oregon 9-1

5. Ohio State 9-1

6. Notre Dame 9-1

7. Michigan State 9-1

8. Michigan 9-1

9. Oklahoma State 9-1

10. Mississippi 8-2

11. Baylor 8-2

12. Oklahoma 9-1

13. Wake Forest 9-1

14. BYU 8-2

15. UTSA 10-0

1. You know you got things wrong, when your #4 team is a -3.5pt underdog this weekend!! (vs Utah!... ..Bottom line, who cares who it is they playing?). 

2. You know you got things wrong, when the best ACC team is 9-1 and not ranked in the top 10 (because they name isn't Clemson!!!)

3. Teams 6-9 are all basically the same team (ND, MSU, Mich, Okla State)

I hope SMU whoops up on Cincinnati Saturday night (because I like SMU), and Utah beats Oregon.

But then the committee will look like geniuses <_<

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

4. Notre Dame