Economy

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m happy I didn’t get any calls on AMD yet, but after this pullback it’s very very enticing.  I think long term ZIM call options would be a good strategy also.   

I don't really know much about that kind of stuff. I wish I did!

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

@Dr. Strangelovethis chart goes against your narrative that you talk about quite often of Democrats not giving negative economic reviews on a Republican President as much as Republicans do for a Democrat president.  

This is just one poll. But even within it, Republican Consumer Sentiment has a high of ~125 to a low of ~35, a 90 point swing. Democrats had a low of ~55 and a high of ~105, a swing of 50. I did my best to eyeball those numbers on the chart that doesn't have great intervals, but you get the point.

It's good that consumer sentiment among Republicans is rising recently, however! But over time, their swings are much more extreme than other groups. Their highs are higher and their lows are lower. The same thing is true for Presidential Approval Ratings, is the Country on the 'Wrong Track', and other positive/negative questions.

39 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

This is just one poll. But even within it, Republican Consumer Sentiment has a high of ~125 to a low of ~35, a 90 point swing. Democrats had a low of ~55 and a high of ~105, a swing of 50. I did my best to eyeball those numbers on the chart that doesn't have great intervals, but you get the point.

The difference between the two data points R’s and D’s is roughly 40 points amongst most time points outside of the Covid year.  As soon as Biden got elected, not inaugurated, sentiments shifted by partisan affiliation and went right back to the 40 point margin between the two.  

This tells you that whatever the R’a believe, the D’s believe the inverse to the same level and Vice versa.   It is not a situation where D’s give the R President the benefit of the doubt more than a R will give the D President.  

The reason sentiment was so much higher amongst both parties (but with the 40 point gap I mentioned) during the 2019 year was the economy was in better shape, prices were low, inflation was low, and rates were low.   If those things matched 2019 then you would see similar numbers in consumer sentiment (with a 40 point differential) 

• Plus1 1

Whether you support Donald Trump or Joe Biden, it's ridiculous to ignore that an unprecedented global pandemic had a direct and virtually unavoidable impact on the economy. If you are trying to make a case using numbers from the past four or five years, don't pretend it doesn't require context.

You can still make the case that the U.S. emerged from the pandemic considerably better than both our allies and rivals. If you don't want to credit Biden, you can credit the longstanding resilience of the American economy, the whole American exceptionalism thing. And you can still cite inflation as a consequence that hinders recovery for the millions of Americans who live on the margins. 

Had the economy performed the exact same way under a second Trump term, it's impossible to imagine it not being heralded as the greatest economic recovery in the history of our nation. 

• TBH 3

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Whether you support Donald Trump or Joe Biden, it's ridiculous to ignore that an unprecedented global pandemic had a direct and virtually unavoidable impact on the economy. If you are trying to make a case using numbers from the past four or five years, don't pretend it doesn't require context.

You can still make the case that the U.S. emerged from the pandemic considerably better than both our allies and rivals. If you don't want to credit Biden, you can credit the longstanding resilience of the American economy, the whole American exceptionalism thing. And you can still cite inflation as a consequence that hinders recovery for the millions of Americans who live on the margins. 

Had the economy performed the exact same way under a second Trump term, it's impossible to imagine it not being heralded as the greatest economic recovery in the history of our nation. 

Trump and Republicans deserve credit for properly stimulating the economy, likely staving off catastrophic economic consequences. Inflation was predictable and an accepted outcome of this strategy - The FED openly said as much in early 2020.

The funny part is that Conservative dogma prevents Republicans from properly taking credit on this, since deficit spending and leveraging government debt run counter to their beliefs. They simultaneously did the right thing but also can't talk about it, which is funny. 

• TBH 1