Economy

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just got home. 3,190 miles over 11 days.  Fantastic trip. Happy to inform you that my wife and I are still speaking to each other. And, spent right at only $300 in gas.  

Probably would have been happier if you spent more on gas but were not speaking to your wife :)

• Haha 3
On 12/31/2023 at 3:33 PM, Archy1221 said:

It’s possibly you didn’t see the message I replied to…..hence my wording choice. 

Oh I get that the poster wanted to credit Joe Biden. But you also cited gas prices as a gripe against the Biden economy. It's still an honest question. 

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I know it is not exactly economy. But it isn't a D or R specific problem, so here we are. 

And, that's a problem.  And...it's why we need to look at where we can cut.  But, just as, if not more importantly, we need to make sure everyone is paying the taxes they should be paying.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

How much do undocumented workers take from the system, and how much do they add?

This isn't directed at you specifically, but to anybody reading who thinks illegal immigration is a drain on society:

The cost of undocumented workers as a positive or negative number is small, as is nearly all government spending that doesn't involve all but 6 things. 

80% of the yearly spending of the US government is spent on 6 things:

-Social Security

-Defense

-Interest on the debt

-Medicare

-Medicaid

-Veterans Benefits

Thus, the national debt problem will never be addressed. 

The remaining 20% of spending is everything else. You could get rid of all foreign spending, fire every government employee, cut funding to NASA, end food stamps and other programs for the poor, etc. After doing all of that the United States would still run a slight yearly budget deficit and the overall debt would still grow.

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This isn't directed at you specifically, but to anybody reading who thinks illegal immigration is a drain on society:

The cost of undocumented workers as a positive or negative number is small, as is nearly all government spending that doesn't involve all but 6 things. 

80% of the yearly spending of the US government is spent on 6 things:

-Social Security

-Defense

-Interest on the debt

-Medicare

-Medicaid

-Veterans Benefits

Thus, the national debt problem will never be addressed. 

The remaining 20% of spending is everything else. You could get rid of all foreign spending, fire every government employee, cut funding to NASA, end food stamps and other programs for the poor, etc. After doing all of that the United States would still run a slight yearly budget deficit and the overall debt would still grow.

This is an astounding stat, that I was unfamiliar with....and not that I didn't believe you but, I did independently verify. Crazy stuff.

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

This is an astounding stat, that I was unfamiliar with....and not that I didn't believe you but, I did independently verify. Crazy stuff.

You could also tax everyone making over $1 million at 100% and not come close to funding the government which is why the let’s just tax the rich argument he and others makes doesn’t work.  

• TBH 2
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You could also tax everyone making over $1 million at 100% and not come close to funding the government which is why the let’s just tax the rich argument he and others makes doesn’t work.  

Definitely wouldn't make much of a dent.

Have to curtail spending.

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Definitely wouldn't make much of a dent.

Have to curtail spending.

I feel like we can make cuts to SS/Medicare by doing some sort of means testing and increasing the tax threshold for them to increase revenues.  

• Plus1 1