Economy

There's zero doubt that the Biden Team is playing with numbers to put the rosiest picture on things, which often mean pretending the global pandemic had nothing to do with it. 

But the global pandemic obviously had a massive influence, including major supply chain disruptions with lag times, which Biden opponents are also keen to ignore. An inflationary period was 100% predictable.

If both sides stopped pretending that these numbers are comparable to "normal" economic metrics, we'd be left with the fact that lingering inflation drags down some of those rosy numbers for average Americans in a very real way.

We'd also be left with the fact that whatever the U.S. did in response to COVID, America has emerged economically stronger that virtually all our allies and rivals. We're really s#!tty at mixed messages in this country, but if you had to pick a POV at election time, the latter is a better indicator of policy and prognosis moving forward. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

You mean if we didn't have politics we could actually see things more clearly?  I wish that would happen.

I just know that things are really expensive, and I mean basic stuff I buy all of the time.  I just hope interest rates come down.  It is killing me.  

• TBH 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's zero doubt that the Biden Team is playing with numbers to put the rosiest picture on things, which often mean pretending the global pandemic had nothing to do with things. 

But the global pandemic obviously had a massive influence, including major supply chain disruptions with lag times, which Biden opponents are also keen to ignore. An inflationary period was 100% predictable.

If both sides stopped pretending that these numbers are comparable to "normal" economic metrics, we'd be left with the fact that lingering inflation drags down some of those rosy numbers for average Americans in a very real way.

We'd also be left with the fact that whatever the U.S. did in response to COVID, America has emerged economically stronger that virtually all our allies and rivals. We're really s#!tty at mixed messages in this country, but if you had to pick a POV at election time, the latter is a better indicator of policy and prognosis moving forward. 

Exactly!!!

MAGA is very quick to blame inflation, higher gas prices, stock market stall, high interest rates...etc. all on Biden.  Then, they are quick to act like Trump was the one that got us really cheap gas prices and a drastic increase in demand for products across the board.  It's all BS.  The pandemic created an economic situation that was unprecedented in modern times.  It's why, when looking at our company's performance now, I act like 2021 and 2022 didn't even exist and compare it to 2020 when everything was much more normal for msot of the year.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

You mean if we didn't have politics we could actually see things more clearly?  I wish that would happen.

I just know that things are really expensive, and I mean basic stuff I buy all of the time.  I just hope interest rates come down.  It is killing me.  

There is talk of rates getting down to the mid 4's in the next year!  That is better!

Grocery shopping right now, almost makes me cry!

2.54 cents for a dozen eggs!

I did get to nice T-bones the other day...regular price...34 dollars!!!!  They were on super sale because they were ready to go bad (I could tell it was ready to go bad because it was wearing a ski mask and holding a switchblade) ...so I got it for the low low price of 18 dollars.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I did get to nice T-bones the other day...regular price...34 dollars!!!!  They were on super sale because they were ready to go bad (I could tell it was ready to go bad because it was wearing a ski mask and holding a switchblade) ...so I got it for the low low price of 18 dollars.

How did you get to them? Did you tell them their mama was fat?

• Haha 2

Man, I know I told you guys SOUN and SOUNW...and I took SOUNW and sold it after it about tripled my money but I wish I would have held on to it!  It is exploding!

I think I tossed out CELH too and that has been on fire!

My turds:  Bitfarm...I have no idea why that crappy stock is being so crappy with the way bitcoin is going!

ZIM...The shipping industry is just a f#&%ing mess and I keep going back to it and I don't know why.

• Plus1 1

I don't understand this.  Almost every company in America is looking for workers and not in "high-school level jobs".  OK, so it might not be in marketing where you thought you were going to work.  But, then you have adjust what you are willing to do.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Investing in NVDIA, SMCI and SOUNW is not what an emotional investor should do.  :laughpound

Up big and down big constantly.

Dude, the ride with those 3 and a few others has been insane!

I bought and sold SOUNW so many times in a short amount of time that my lame account got "Flagged" as being a day trader!  Haha

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, the ride with those 3 and a few others has been insane!

I bought and sold SOUNW so many times in a short amount of time that my lame account got "Flagged" as being a day trader!  Haha

I haven't done that in a very long time.  I typically buy a stock and very seldom sell.  But, it has crossed my mind with these.  I'm thinking about selling to get my original investment out.  Then, sell on an up day and buy and a down day.  Just to see what happens.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I haven't done that in a very long time.  I typically buy a stock and very seldom sell.  But, it has crossed my mind with these.  I'm thinking about selling to get my original investment out.  Then, sell on an up day and buy and a down day.  Just to see what happens.

Might as well, right?  

There is money to be made!  And now with basically no trading fees it makes it super easy to make some extra cash.  

I have been messing with some calls/options and I suck at that.  I might as well just toss my money in the trash.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Might as well, right?  

There is money to be made!  And now with basically no trading fees it makes it super easy to make some extra cash.  

I have been messing with some calls/options and I suck at that.  I might as well just toss my money in the trash.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can place an order that's good for maybe 30 days where if the stock drops 3% in a single day, it buys.  Or, if it increases 3% in a single day it sells.  So far, it doesn't look like I can do that.  I would need to really study the options game before I dive into actual puts and calls.  My class on that in college was over 30 years ago.  

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can place an order that's good for maybe 30 days where if the stock drops 3% in a single day, it buys.  Or, if it increases 3% in a single day it sells.  So far, it doesn't look like I can do that.  I would need to really study the options game before I dive into actual puts and calls.  My class on that in college was over 30 years ago.  

Funny you mention this!

So, I used the "set alert" option on my account so that when, in this case, the stock hit a certain price that it would sell it but NOT before it hit that price.  It did not work.  It sold it right away.  

But I think in theory that idea is suppose to work and would be awesome.