Economy

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You don't seem to have much of an understanding of how business works. You get paid by the amount of skill you provide while on the job. The market tells me what I'm going to pay my employees, not the amount someone objectively thinks I need to pay them so they can feed their families. Paying them a fair wage, determined by the market and their individual value to my business, is my obligation to them.... Not whether or not they can provide for their family. That's on them, and their spouse. Now, I have a few guys who are valuable, loyal, just good employees. I return that loyalty in a multitude of ways.

If you're basing pay on market value, then you are not paying them based on the skill and value they add to your company, you're just paying them enough to keep them from taking that skill and value somewhere else. Skill and value suggests equity, the market rate is the opposite of equity.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If you're basing pay on market value, then you are not paying them based on the skill and value they add to your company, you're just paying them enough to keep them from taking that skill and value somewhere else. Skill and value suggests equity, the market rate is the opposite of equity.

The skill required for the job plays a huge role in that job's market value.... It isn't that hard. This is how business works. I pay you what the market says I should (to stay competitive), and you provide the value to my business that I'm paying you to provide. If you exceed that value, I pay you more. If you underperform, you're gone. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

If you exceed that value, I pay you more. 

Do you though? Based on this statement you don't have any employees that deserve a raise because you've already been compensating them for exceeding their value. None that you would gladly pay more to keep of they walked in and asked for a raise, cuz in your mind they're already maxed out value/skill to compensation. 

5 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Do you though? Based on this statement you don't have any employees that deserve a raise because you've already been compensating them for exceeding their value. None that you would gladly pay more to keep of they walked in and asked for a raise, cuz in your mind they're already maxed out value/skill to compensation. 

Did you miss where I said in an earlier post that I reward value and loyalty?

You've got the employer/employee relationship backwards in your head. The onus is on the employee to perform... To earn. 

How do you think people become successful in this world? 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Did you miss where I said in an earlier post that I reward value and loyalty?

You've got the employer/employee relationship backwards in your head. The onus is on the employee to perform... To earn. 

If you are taxed with using your vehicle for a job without compensation for mileage would you? Heck no.

Would you stop at asking fuel to be provided? Nope. You would need to be reimbursed for wear and tear, maintence and upkeep and hopefully enough to set aside a little for the new car you will need sooner since you're utilizing the life of your vehicle for work. If you don't get all this your use of vehicle for company purposes is costing you. 

No different as an employee. A job should pay enough to provide fuel (food/shelter to rest) Healthcare (maintenance and upkeep) and a bit extra for retirementand quality of life (new vehicle). If the job doesn't do that then the employee is losing money utilizing their life, their youth, and and their health to provide for the employer.

Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

If you are taxed with using your vehicle for a job without compensation for mileage would you? Heck no.

Would you stop at asking fuel to be provided? Nope. You would need to be reimbursed for wear and tear, maintence and upkeep and hopefully enough to set aside a little for the new car you will need sooner since you're utilizing the life of your vehicle for work. If you don't get all this your use of vehicle for company purposes is costing you. 

No different as an employee. A job should pay enough to provide fuel (food/shelter to rest) Healthcare (maintenance and upkeep) and a bit extra for retirementand quality of life (new vehicle). If the job doesn't do that then the employee is losing money utilizing their life, their youth, and and their health to provide for the employer.

$15/hr jobs provide all those things. If you want a nicer home, better things, better vacations, etc., that's on each individual to earn it.

• Plus1 2