Economy

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My God you are amazingly negative towards people who own businesses.

News flash.....businesses need an educated labor force.  You really think that business owners don't want people to get an education so they can pay them less?

Some do, some don't. You can't really lump all "business owners" into one category on this question.  

Edited by knapplc
Paul Harvey Voice - And now... page two
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

People continually not prioritizing their education or their kids education and therefor increasing their skill set is the biggest obstacle that is dismissed 

I think parental failures play a bigger role than (post High School) educational failures. 

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Because he knows that there are clear and inherent obstacles to getting an education that are compounded by poverty. Don't pay parents a living wage, they aren't able to prioritize their kids education in grade/high school, let alone try to make college work. Kid doesn't see parents invested in his/her education so never takes it seriously themselves, leading to them working jobs that don't pay a living wage. This is why there is a push to defund education systems/ move to charter schools. It guarantees a cheap labor force. 

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can not think of one business owner that actually wants an uneducated work force.

Fast Food

Box Store stockers

Janitorial services

Just off the top of my head. None of these want anyone with higher education - they'd just leave after training, and it's not worth it for the employer to waste time on that kind of person.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Fast Food

Box Store stockers

Janitorial services

Just off the top of my head. None of these want anyone with higher education - they'd just leave after training, and it's not worth it for the employer to waste time on that kind of person.

My god, I worked all those jobs!

Brown's Chicken

Service Merchandise and Jewel

Summer maintenance gig and golf course maintenance (They did not let me use any of the cool mowers)

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

My god, I worked all those jobs!

Brown's Chicken

Service Merchandise and Jewel

Summer maintenance gig and golf course maintenance (They did not let me use any of the cool mowers)

Was that before or after you worked at Brazers & Bang Bros?

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Fast Food

Box Store stockers

Janitorial services

So, all of those businesses want uneducated people.  I don't think so.  The comment I replied to talked about defunding education.  I took that as not "higher education".  I'm pretty sure all those companies want people who can do the basics of what people learn through HS.

If McDonalds wants uneducated people, why are they spending so much money on it?

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/mcdonald-s-pledges-150-million-for-employees-education-benefits

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

So, all of those businesses want uneducated people.  I don't think so.  The comment I replied to talked about defunding education.  I took that as not "higher education".  I'm pretty sure all those companies want people who can do the basics of what people learn through HS.

I think you're taking what I'm saying to an unnecessary extreme. I agree with the basic high-school level of education being desirable, but in those industries a higher level of education is detrimental to employee retention. 

There's a ceiling for many positions. You hire skilled labor. You've got two candidates with equal skills, but one has a CPA and can make more than what you're paying a laborer. Aren't you going to think twice about hiring the guy who may just leave you in a couple/three months for a CPA gig when you could hire the other guy who's more likely to stick around longer?

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can not think of one business owner that actually wants an uneducated work force.

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think it's all businesses or business owners, but there are definitely pushes to spend less on education:

What Corporate Tax Breaks Mean for School Funding

Tax abatement deals given to corporations led to at least $2.37 billion in lost revenue intended for U.S. public school districts in 2019, a new report says.

The $2.37 billion figure only takes into account 1,806 districts, meaning the total amount is likely multiple times higher, and any true cost-benefit analysis of these breaks is extremely challenging for much of the country. 

A Guide to the Corporations that are De-Funding Public Education & Opposing Striking Teachers

Why are corporations undermining public education?

And we know that society benefits if we educate the population more:

How Taxpayers Benefit When Students Attain Higher Levels of Education

Abstract:

RAND researchers examined how taxpayers benefit from increases in students' educational attainment. Using statistical modeling and national data, they analyzed how increases in educational attainment are associated with tax revenues, funds for social support and insurance programs, and spending on incarceration. The researchers found that, for all racial/ethnic groups, an increase in a student's educational attainment — for example, completing high school rather than dropping out — is associated with substantial value for taxpayers over time.

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

My God you are amazingly negative towards people who own businesses.

News flash.....businesses need an educated labor force.  You really think that business owners don't want people to get an education so they can pay them less?

Again man, you want to make this about absolutes, it's not. I've worked for some damn good employers that take care of their employees and I've worked for people who would strip their employees of every penny if it meant more in their pocket. It's like how I was raised to see race. There are good and bad people of every race- recognize character, not color. That's true of business owners as well there is good and bad. Unfortunately the bad( by way of treating employees) business owners generally accumulate the most wealth and then end up affecting an outsized portion of the working population. 

And you're darn right there are business owners that don't want people to have an education there are varying reasons for that that range from the retention rational that was discussed earlier to the idea that those who are educated have been taught bad habits- its easier to start with a blank slate. 

What's more - for those bad business owners, it's much easier to fleece someone if they are not educated enough to know better.