Economy

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I wonder how long he expects the jump in sales to continue from raising employee wages? That spike is almost surely temporary (think the first couple weeks after a new fast food joint opens in a mid sized town). Customers aren't going to show up, in larger than normal numbers, for very long *just* because he raised the wages of his employees. I don't doubt, however, that he's saving money within the hiring/training metric.

Also, another thing to watch as wages increase across the country is, how long is $15/hr going to be enough? How long before employees find that amount not to be enough, and their attendance, performance, and attitude begin to decline again? Do you give them more money? Do you *still* not raise prices? Or do you just close the doors at that point? 

This is nowhere near as easy as "they need more money, give them more money".

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I wonder how long he expects the jump in sales to continue from raising employee wages? That spike is almost surely temporary (think the first couple weeks after a new fast food joint opens in a mid sized town). Customers are going to show up, in larger than normal numbers, for very long *just* because he raised the wages of his employees. I don't doubt, however, that he's saving money within the hiring/training metric.

Also, another thing to watch as wages increase across the country is, how long is $15/hr going to be enough? How long before employees find that amount not to be enough, and their attendance, performance, and attitude begin to decline again? Do you give them more money? Do you *still* not raise prices? Or do you just close the doors at that point? 

This is nowhere near as easy as "they need more money, give them more money".

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What an idiot.

I wish at some point Republicans would start saying things that are at least attempting to be based in reality.

Uh... Did we forget the Bush years?

• 2 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder how many jobs will still be "from home", I would think a lot of places will do some "why don't you come in to the office two days a week and the rest of the time you can work at home" type of stuff.

What have you non-teachers been told?

Mine can’t be done from home.  Neighbor though works in financial services and was told once they finally do come back it will be a mix of work from home and shared office space when they do go in.  

• Plus1 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:02 AM, teachercd said:

I wonder how many jobs will still be "from home", I would think a lot of places will do some "why don't you come in to the office two days a week and the rest of the time you can work at home" type of stuff.

What have you non-teachers been told?

60-70% of the corporate staff in my company was already working remote (or at least a few days per week) pre-COVID, so nothing is changing for us. But, for the properties we manage, they're returning to the office this month unless they get a waiver from corporate to stay remote.

Generally, though, it's a really mixed bag. I know some people whose companies are still allowing remote work but they've chosen to go back to the office, some are staying remote, and some are planning to go back to the office this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article that's not behind a pay wall.

Some interesting tidbits.

"The reopening of the economy is likely to mean that some discretionary spending on services will start to compete with purchases of goods, which dominate the retail sales report," said Lou Crandall, chief economist at Wrightson ICAP in Jersey City. "Total retail sales are far above the pre-pandemic trend."

Wow.....this is an interesting bit of information on savings.

Although income from stimulus checks are ebbing, consumers have amassed at least $2.3 trillion in excess savings during the pandemic, which is expected to drive spending this year and beyond.

But robust demand is outpacing supply, stoking inflation. In a separate report on Tuesday, the Labor Department said its producer price index for final demand increased 0.8% last month after rising 0.6% in April. In the 12 months through May, the PPI accelerated 6.6%. That followed a 6.2% advance in April.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder if the drop is caused by supply or demand.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder if the drop is caused by supply or demand.

For vehicles I believe it to be supply issue.  Prices are going way up which means the demand is there.  If both supply was falling and price falling that would indicate no demand for that good.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

For vehicles I believe it to be supply issue.  Prices are going way up which means the demand is there.  If both supply was falling and price falling that would indicate no demand for that good.  

Specifically with vehicles, there is a supply issue with computer chips.  However, I haven't been able to figure out if that supply issue is because of actual shortage of chips, or if the demand is so high that supply can't keep up.