Economy

Just now, knapplc said:

Teachers in Omaha make between $40k-$70k. So... no. 

Someone is driving crappy cars around. And it's not people making who "don't make a lot."

It's fun to perpetuate the Welfare Queen schtick from the Reagan Era. But folks working for $15/hour or less aren't driving nice cars & trucks.

Spoiler

Oh, okay!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Teachers in Omaha make between $40k-$70k. So... no. 

Someone is driving crappy cars around. And it's not people who "don't make a lot."

It's fun to perpetuate the Welfare Queen schtick from the Reagan Era. But folks working for $15/hour or less aren't driving nice cars & trucks.

If you make $15/hr and put in the hours that teachers do you easily make over $40k.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If people are upset over $15/hr then they should find a job that pays more or start their own company and pay themselves whatever they like given the revenue constraints of said business 

Amen.

I worked overnights in manufacturing for 5 years, while I built my business during the day time hours. People mock the Bootstraps mindset, but it's true.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Like I said before, I don't think most people on welfare want to be on welfare, a few maybe, but most don't want to be on it.

I will also say that people need to live within their means, which is challenging.  It is why CC debt is out of control for so many.  Plus most of us want nice/cool things.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Like I said before, I don't think most people on welfare want to be on welfare, a few maybe, but most don't want to be on it.

Oh, I'd disagree. It's probably impossible to calculate, but from what I've seen there are a lot of them that are pretty content to live off the government.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Plus most of us want nice/cool things.

This is a big part of the conversation, but I think it goes beyond even surface level "wants" and hits at things that society has pretty much set as standards. They blur a line between an explicit 'want' and 'need.' Internet service and cell phones are the two obvious ones... things that weren't common or abundantly necessary 25-30 years ago but if you don't have them now you're at a significant and measurable disadvantage.

I think the average person needs far more self control and financial restraint nowadays than they did 20 or 30 years ago. I generally lay that at the foot of the person more than an employer, but I think it's a genuine issue to take into account.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Not sure how you got $1928 but ok. As I said before., no one is making it on $15 an hour without government assistance, on a single full time job, without lots of overtime. 

image.thumb.png.29cb324cd09e5a276181161d26881df2.png

The numbers I used were equal to the town of 800 people I live in. Not Omaha or Lincoln. 

Yes you could.  Like I said, it wouldn't be a comfortable existence.  But, you could live on that in the Holdrege area.  And....it very well could be temporary.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This is a big part of the conversation, but I think it goes beyond even surface level "wants" and hits at things that society has pretty much set as standards. They blur a line between an explicit 'want' and 'need.' Internet service and cell phones are the two obvious ones... things that weren't common or abundantly necessary 25-30 years ago but if you don't have them now you're at a significant and measurable disadvantage.

I think the average person needs far more self control and financial restraint nowadays than they did 20 or 30 years ago. I generally lay that at the foot of the person more than an employer, but I think it's a genuine issue to take into account.

The conflict perspective (of a Sociology class) will argue that the standard we have created has forced people to cheat the system and turn to crime.

(Yes, this will be on the final exam)

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
21 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If you're basing pay on market value, then you are not paying them based on the skill and value they add to your company, you're just paying them enough to keep them from taking that skill and value somewhere else. Skill and value suggests equity, the market rate is the opposite of equity.

Interesting.  You want me to pay someone what the value is to the company.

Well.  Better be careful what you wish for.  We start people out at $15.  To be honest with you, for the first at least couple months, they are costing me money in training.  They aren't worth the $15.  Now, we have a pay scale based on what they learn and what they are able to do.  They move up that pay scale as they are trained and prove competence.  It takes some people 4-6 months working in our company to be able to just operate a machine.  Once they learn that, they will be making a lot more than $15.  Everyone who lasts more than 60 days gets a raise because they've obviously proven they can actually do something.

So.....you really want me to pay what that person is worth to the company at each given stage in their employment?

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Not sure how you got $1928 but ok. As I said before., no one is making it on $15 an hour without government assistance, on a single full time job, without lots of overtime. 

image.thumb.png.29cb324cd09e5a276181161d26881df2.png

The numbers I used were equal to the town of 800 people I live in. Not Omaha or Lincoln. 

Why are you using a 17% tax rate??

• Plus1 1

All you can ask for is the opportunity to succeed, and this country provides that. People need to get comfortable with the fact that there are going to be winners and losers in this world. Some people pursue success, most are content to get by.... And an alarmingly growing number feel entitled to perks/success that it was once understood had to be earned. It's unfortunate.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

All you can ask for is the opportunity to succeed, and this country provides that. People need to get comfortable with the fact that there are going to be winners and losers in this world. Some people pursue success, most are content to get by.... And an alarmingly growing number feel entitled to perks/success that it was once understood had to be earned. It's unfortunate.

One of Milton Friedman’s best quotes

Equality and Freedom. A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Amen.

I worked overnights in manufacturing for 5 years, while I built my business during the day time hours. People mock the Bootstraps mindset, but it's true.

Same, but opposite.  I worked day hours just short of full time while working my "main" job at night...for 8-10 years

• Thanks 3