2021 NCAA Rules Changes

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This one concerns me for development of players.

How is someone like an O lineman supposed to learn good habits and techniques without a lot of time in drills like this with pads on hitting someone?

Learning how to shed blocks and tackle is another concern.  I think coaches are going to have to get creative on other ways to teach these things.

I get what you’re saying. Yes it will make learning these things by repetition (actually doing them) much more difficult. But it is a logical thing to eliminate if you want to reduce concussions and protect players health.

I only played high school ball. Had one concussion in an actual game and probably at least 3 others in practices, doing things like the Oklahoma drill.

I don’t like the way the game is changing because it is all just baby steps towards flag football and I loved the way the game used to be. But we know a lot more now about concussions than we did 20-30 years ago. Probably for the best to do what you can to prevent those problems. It’ll be a non-contact sport soon enough anyway.

• Fire 1

I really don’t care a whole lot about the OT changes. They’re fairly minor and don’t impact a great number of games anyway. The 2 things here that I think will have the greatest impact is coaches on the field and taunting/celebrating. Lots of interpretive leeway there for unequal application. The last thing B1G officials need is more things they can easily screw up.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I really don’t care a whole lot about the OT changes. They’re fairly minor and don’t impact a great number of games anyway. The 2 things here that I think will have the greatest impact is coaches on the field and taunting/celebrating. Lots of interpretive leeway there for unequal application. The last thing B1G officials need is more things they can easily screw up.

I really agree.  Pretty soon we will be giving out 15 yards for hurt feelings.  The coach on the field doesn't really bother me.  At least that is within a teams control most of the time.

fail college football GIF 

• Plus1 1

People forget how much of the 'traditional' rules of football were implemented in the name of player safety. The forward pass? That was legalized in the name of player safety, with the goal of reducing mass formations like the flying wedge.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Toe said:

People forget how much of the 'traditional' rules of football were implemented in the name of player safety. The forward pass? That was legalized in the name of player safety, with the goal of reducing mass formations like the flying wedge.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think maybe we should go back to the cheap plastic helmets with webbing in them. My father wore them in the 60s through HS and college.  Less concussion cause you aren't leading with your head wearing those things every play

You'd think that but rugby has a higher concussion rate than football, despite no protection at all.