12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

13 hours ago, Madcows said:

Because they want to reward top seeds with a bye, you can't do that with 8 or 16

Rewarding "top" seeds is the mistake.

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

8 really was the perfect number.

Yep. But if you're going bigger than 8, you'd obviously go to 16.

• TBH 2
31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think 12 is fine. Reward some with a bye and have a great chance for competitive first round, on campus games.

100% agree.  And I love 12 because it keeps some meaningfulness to the regular season for teams you know are going to make it.  Makes winning your conference a big deal.

If you get to 16, may as well do away with conference championship games.  Teams playing in those would almost be at a disadvantage as it would be an extra game of wear and tear on the players.

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

100% agree.  And I love 12 because it keeps some meaningfulness to the regular season for teams you know are going to make it.  Makes winning your conference a big deal.

If you get to 16, may as well do away with conference championship games.  Teams playing in those would almost be at a disadvantage as it would be an extra game of wear and tear on the players.

The trick will be to either win your conference or somehow be second best in your division and still be in the top 12. To get a bye or skip the CCG respectively. 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

8+ team playoffs end a lot of the meaningfulness of the regular season. All that 12 teams does is give a biased committee a chance to "reward" 4 teams. At least powers of 2 mean every team plays the same number of playoff games.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

8+ team playoffs end a lot of the meaningfulness of the regular season. All that 12 teams does is give a biased committee a chance to "reward" 4 teams. At least powers of 2 mean every team plays the same number of playoff games.

I don't get at all how it makes the regular season any less meaningful.  It is basically the same it's always been, you need to have a really good regular season to get to your goals.  If by that you mean a team must go undefeated in order to have a meaningful regular season, then I have never agreed with that argument and never will.

• Plus1 3
Just now, runningblind said:

I don't get at all how it makes the regular season any less meaningful.  It is basically the same it's always been, you need to have a really good regular season to get to your goals.  If by "you must go undefeated in order to have a meaningful regular season", then I have never agreed with that argument and never will.

If a team can lose regular season games and still win the championship, then by definition it makes the regular season less meaningful than if they could not. You might like it better, but the regular season is still less meaningful. And being able to lose multiple games means the regular season is even less meaningful than if a team could only lose 1 game, etc.

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If a team can lose regular season games and still win the championship, then by definition it makes the regular season less meaningful than if they could not. You might like it better, but the regular season is still less meaningful. And being able to lose multiple games means the regular season is even less meaningful than if a team could only lose 1 game, etc.

That argument is flawed though.  The rules are the same for everyone to win a championship, regardless of if qualifying for a playoff is easier or harder.  The regular season still means the same, and so does winning a championship, based on the criteria of the sport.  The regular season is part of the season, so is the playoff, they aren't separate entities in any sport.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I mean ... technically yes.

But that was already the case before we had any playoff.  So it really amounts to no difference.

• TBH 2

• Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow
28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Agree with Dan

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of guaranteeing spots (other than a G5 spot with qualifiers).  All that does is make room for better teams getting left out.

But I agree that the Big/ACC should jump all over this.