2021 Fall Camp Notes - Offensive Line

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Hopefully Pieper can get better but he's just not very good at this point.  Most of the pressures came from the left side of the line...

The most frustrating to me were a couple that looked like he was trying to pass guys off to Jurgens when there was no one else coming, and Jurgens was helping elsewhere. That's the kind of stuff you expected last year, not after a full year and all the camps working together. 

• Plus1 2

And I'm a little bit confused as to why Frost doesn't roll Adrian out wide more. To me that's where Adrian is at his best, and it takes away some of QB hurries on designed passing plays to begin with.

Gotta design an offense around what your team can execute, not just what looks the best on paper schematically.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Undone said:

We have a couple very highly rated recruits on our O line unit (Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens, Benhart). I think the biggest problem in year 4 with the situation is that it just would have been a lot better if we could have for example gotten Piper & Corcoran in year one or two.

I went back and rewatched the offense.  Piper had a horrible game.  So much of the pressure and break downs on run blocking came from that area.  Hopefully, he either gets better or we find someone better.

One frustrating thing I saw was that so many times when Martinez had defenders around him causing problems, was simply our tackles being bull rushed back into him.  And, it's not just one, so often both tackles were being pushed back right at him giving him very little room.

Picking up stunts was a problem too.

• Plus1 1

It seems like we get these talented highly recruited lineman yet I don't know the last time we've had a guy get first or even second team all B1G.  Some of them show so much promise as young guys but never really seem to progress much, at least to me.  But yet we see guys like Gates, Jaimes, Farniok look like they're going to have some success in the NFL so I guess we must be developing them somewhat? But they never seem to set the world on fire here.  Somebody explain this to me. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

We have a couple very highly rated recruits on our O line unit (Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens, Benhart). I think the biggest problem in year 4 with the situation is that it just would have been a lot better if we could have for example gotten Piper & Corcoran in year one or two.

We could well have the entire O-line group back next year - none of them are seniors. Heck, other than Sichterman, this whole group of starters could be together through 2023, and in 2024 we'd only lose Jurgens.

Just now, Toe said:

We could well have the entire O-line group back next year - none of them are seniors. Heck, other than Sichterman, this whole group of starters could be together through 2023, and after that we'd only lose Jurgens.

Yup. And so if I'm being objective it makes you wonder if it'd be one of those deals where if Frost gets fired, some other staff comes in and has good offensive success just by virtue of the recruiting & development Frost had in place these past couple years.

Add to the fact then that Ervin might be a really talented back...who could also be a 4 year starter.

So that's kind of a mind-frick.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Add to the fact then that Ervin might be a really talented back...who could also be a 4 year starter.

Ehh, it sounds like the competition for the starting RB job is still 100% open at this point. Like the coaches liked what they saw from him in practice, but when the bullets were flying he was too timid. Don't be surprised if Stepp or Morrison gets a start over the next couple weeks.

But yeah, one of the biggest problems of the Frost era has just been getting talent in place and staying in place at WR and RB. Would suck for Frost if he finally found a stable group only to end up with someone else coaching them.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Toe said:

Ehh, it sounds like the competition for the starting RB job is still 100% open at this point. Like the coaches liked what they saw from him in practice, but when the bullets were flying he was too timid. Don't be surprised if Stepp or Morrison gets a start over the next couple weeks.

Yeah, I'm just talking about how some of these offensive players could be playing together for another 2-3 years and have some cohesion potentially.

As I think most people would agree with, it's definitely not recruiting that's making us lose to teams like Illinois. The talent is on the field to have winning seasons.

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yup. And so if I'm being objective it makes you wonder if it'd be one of those deals where if Frost gets fired, some other staff comes in and has good offensive success just by virtue of the recruiting & development Frost had in place these past couple years.

So that's kind of a mind-frick.

Alberts made it known as recently as last week that Frost's job isn't in jeopardy right now.

Frost and Alberts meet every Sunday.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Alberts made it known as recently as last week that Frost's job isn't in jeopardy right now.

Frost and Alberts meet every Sunday.

Sure.

But if he goes 4-8 this year, there is zero doubt that Alberts' mind is in a different headspace on the matter though.

You're saying this as if I said I thought Frost was going to get fired mid-season or something. Never said that nor think it's on the table.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

But yeah, one of the biggest problems of the Frost era has just been getting talent in place and staying in place at WR and RB. Would suck for Frost if he finally found a stable group only to end up with someone else coaching them.

Even tough many scream "year 4" with the roster flipping that Frost has done we're still in the inexperienced side.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Sure.

But if he goes 4-8 this year, there is zero doubt that Alberts' mind is in a different headspace on the matter though.

You're saying this as if I said I thought Frost was going to get fired mid-season or something. Never said that nor think it's on the table.

Let me be more clear 

It's highly doubtful another coach will be coaching these players Frost recruited.

Alberts said he doesn't have a certain number of wins in mind.

It's not a rebuttal to what you wrote.....it's just information on what Alberts said about a week ago, including after the Illinois loss 

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok….this is bad. No sugar coating that. But, some of these were Martinez’s fault.

I actually thought our defense did better than that. 

Martinez being pressured lines up with what I saw rewatching the game. Everyone is b!^@hing about back foot throws, but almost all of those he had somebody with in 1 or 2 yards closing into him. All these morons here wanna say he sucks and can't make throws, but he did ok for being under duress all game. Our line is not good once again. Yes Adrian needs to make quicker decisions, but he's not getting any help from the guys up front either.

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Let me be more clear 

It's highly doubtful another coach will be coaching these players Frost recruited.

Alberts said he doesn't have a certain number of wins in mind.

It's not a rebuttal to what you wrote.....it's just information on what Alberts said about a week ago, including after the Illinois loss 

Alberts was on the Fire Solich train after a 9-3 season, and you don't think he's got his finger on the button right now?

• Plus1 1