Fordham Play-by-Play

Mavric

Frost actually rolled Milton out a ton in 2017 if I recall correctly. Milton sort of has this thing he does where he sprints sideways by design - it creates instant chaos for a defense because if you don't at least somewhat close in on the QB, even a guy like Milton will pick up 5-7 yards every time if you don't.

• Plus1 1

Fielding punts was of course atrocious yet again in this game...but I'd say all other phases of special teams this week was actually good.

-We were kicking the ball into the end zone on kickoffs

-Culp had a nice field goal in the first half

-Dismuke blocks their field goal

I still think we need to just call for fair catches on kickoffs more often than not.

• Plus1 4

Again of course it's "just Fordham" but the biggest thing about this play? Pass protection. Toure seems to be finding his groove in terms of knowing where to be in order to get open.

Toure is the new Wan'Dale except he's taller and a bigger target, better in one-on-one matchups. He really found ways to find open spaces in this game.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Mavric said:

Nicely set up by the same action as Allen to the flats.

Haven't seen (I don't think) the triple curls that has been kind of a go-to for us.  This is 1/3 of it.

Corcoran is going to get called for being too far downfield sooner or later - he's in a tough spot because you don't want to just be standing there if Martinez is flying up behind you, but he's really close to a flag here and on a few others.

This one is not as bad as it looks, he's even with the receiver as he catches it 7-8 yards downfield which is asking to get called. But he is right at the line to gain (supposedly 3 yards) when the ball is thrown. That has to be a couple inches from 4 yards though, being a little nitpicky on the broadcast but that's not really 3rd and 3. I am curious if he's also supposed to read the LB action, or just trust the QB to get it out quick enough.

• Plus1 2

Also, pretty great to see Manning getting some quality receptions and making some good run blocks out there also.

When you look at Toure, Martin, Manning, Brown, & Betts there really is some talent in the wide receiver room this season. There are guys with the ability to get open and then have the hands to haul it in.

I think it's mainly about good pass blocking right now and especially having a RB in there that understands when to shift and chip rushers to extend the play for Martinez to find guys downfield. 

• Plus1 3

I really like this play. 

We have seen:

Give to the RB

QB Keep

QB Keep with a pitch to Toure

I see two more options:

There is a TE on the left side that could fake block then break open down the middle

Toure could end up in a wheel route down the left side if the TE is covered.

On this particular play, I would think that Jurgens should move to the second level to block the LB.  He stays at the LOS and really doesn't contribute anything with his block.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see two more options:

There is a TE on the left side that could fake block then break open down the middle

Toure could end up in a wheel route down the left side if the TE is covered.

And then...wait for it...

Toure pulls up off the option pitch and throws a deep bomb to Manning down the sideline.   :smokin

• Oh Yeah! 1