Made up your mind or waiting to see?

Hilltop

Have you already made up your mind?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

My biggest issue is that I cannot actually pinpoint the actual problem. Whatever the problem is it appears to be one that has lasted all of the time Frost has been here. Is it recruiting? Is it scheme? Is it development? Which is what makes all of this so frustrating. 

It's the offense. The defense is incredibly resilient and level headed. They couldn't be more polar opposites and the offense has the better talent. Until Scott settles down on a true direction for that side, and hires a RB coach that isn't a scatter brain, or an O-line coach with some fire, then it will continue. Scheme identity is very overrated. Nebraska needs a mentality identity. Scott also needs to take part in WR development. If they just got that fixed, a lot of the offensive woes would be solved. 

I'm just incredibly torn. I think what's transpired over the last few years is inexcusable, and that includes the PR blunders. A good coach comes to Nebraska and turns it around in year one or two. Nebraska has everything in place to do that. These dumb articles by Sip or the quotes by McMilan are so farce that once I see them, I just exit out. When you have top 25 recruiting classes annually, decent coaching should always yield decent to good results. 7-9 wins annually. 

Where I am torn is what Nebraska seems to be currently. In my opinion, they are tweaks away from being a ranked team annually, and a true competitor to win the division every year. As they stand currently, they have three good things to build off of going forward.

1. Rockstar D-coordinator and scheme. They will always have a good defense that doesn't lose them games. 

2. Talent in the cupboard. Nebraska doesn't have any holes and what's needed is certain positions to be developed properly (O-line and RB). 

3. A pretty damn good S&C staff. Nebraska looks so much better than they did even in Bo's last years. 

4.(Cheating here because I said 3). Really good TE play. 

The problem is the offense. It has always been the offense. Aside from Beckton, everyone is below average. It's a testament to the talent that they even have gaudy numbers nationally. To me, the O-line isn't even the biggest problem, although it is right there. What is happening at running back completely blows my mind. Every single year there is a problem identifying who is the best player at that position. Why was Marvin Scott the guy all year leading up to fall camp, and now he's nowhere to be found? Why was Gabe Ervin the starter when he looked the worst out of the five who played? Good, developed running backs can help a young O-line. Ryan Held has been saved by the moxie of players like Devine and Rahmir who seem to do well in spite of their coach. 

I have zero knowledge as to why guys like Piper and Benhart regressed so much. Although I do have a guess. The change in schemes or styles stunted their development a bit, which then hurt their confidence. The nail in the coffin was going against our front 7. Sometimes getting your a$$ handed to you for two camps makes you not want to play. Remember that clip of Tannor obliterating Piper in practice? I think he's been shook ever since. 

Scott is going to have to figure out not only how to get major coaching upgrades on those two positions, but he is going to have to find a much better way to see the truth in practice on that side of the ball. No more guess work. Do you want a team that doesn't have mental blunders week in and week out? Develop an Offense with a pulse in the first half so you don't have to be tentative, and thus a reactionary team. You can just win the game for executing well in the second quarter a few times... 

Last thing, if I could give him advice, I would tell him that he needs to take over the WR room or consider Beckton for it. The mismanagement of Betts and Brown are a travesty to this program. Treat them better and watch what happens. Those two could easily set the league on fire alone. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I'm just incredibly torn. I think what's transpired over the last few years is inexcusable, and that includes the PR blunders. A good coach comes to Nebraska and turns it around in year one or two. Nebraska has everything in place to do that. These dumb articles by Sip or the quotes by McMilan are so farce that once I see them, I just exit out. When you have top 25 recruiting classes annually, decent coaching should always yield decent to good results. 7-9 wins annually. 

Where I am torn is what Nebraska seems to be currently. In my opinion, they are tweaks away from being a ranked team annually, and a true competitor to win the division every year. As they stand currently, they have three good things to build off of going forward.

1. Rockstar D-coordinator and scheme. They will always have a good defense that doesn't lose them games. 

2. Talent in the cupboard. Nebraska doesn't have any holes and what's needed is certain positions to be developed properly (O-line and RB). 

3. A pretty damn good S&C staff. Nebraska looks so much better than they did even in Bo's last years. 

The problem is the offense. It has always been the offense. Aside from Beckton, everyone is below average. To me, the O-line isn't even the biggest problem, although it is right there. What is happening at running back completely blows my mind. Every single year there is a problem identifying who is the best player at that position. Why was Marvin Scott the guy all year leading up to fall camp, and now he's nowhere to be found? Why was Gabe Ervin the starter when he looked the worst out of the five who played? Good, developed running backs can help a young O-line. 

I have zero knowledge as to why guys like Piper and Benhart regressed so much. Although I do have a guess. The change in schemes or styles stunted their development a bit, which then hurt their confidence. The nail in the coffin was going against our front 7. Sometimes getting your a$$ handed to you for two camps makes you not want to play. Remember that clip of Tannor obliterating Piper in practice? I think he's been shook ever since. 

Scott is going to have to figure out not only how to get major coaching upgrades on those two positions, but he is going to have to find a much better way to see the truth in practice on that side of the ball. No more guess work. 

You have many valid points here that are shared by many and these changes and tweaks can make a difference.

I think this is where Trev can really help Scott and will help Scott.

Trev is very involved.

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

The problem is the offense. It has always been the offense. Aside from Beckton, everyone is below average. It's a testament to the talent that they even have gaudy numbers nationally. To me, the O-line isn't even the biggest problem, although it is right there. What is happening at running back completely blows my mind. Every single year there is a problem identifying who is the best player at that position. Why was Marvin Scott the guy all year leading up to fall camp, and now he's nowhere to be found? Why was Gabe Ervin the starter when he looked the worst out of the five who played? Good, developed running backs can help a young O-line. Ryan Held has been saved by the moxie of players like Devine and Rahmir who seem to do well in spite of their coach. 

Scott is going to have to figure out not only how to get major coaching upgrades on those two positions, but he is going to have to find a much better way to see the truth in practice on that side of the ball. No more guess work. 

Last thing, if I could give him advice, I would tell him that he needs to take over the WR room or consider Beckton for it. The mismanagement of Betts and Brown are a travesty to this program. Treat them better and watch what happens. Those two could easily set the league on fire alone. 

If Scott stays- I'm totally in agreement with what you are saying.  OL,  RB and lets add ST development. Those 3 areas need a huge coaching upgrade immediately

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If Scott stays- I'm totally in agreement with what you are saying.  OL,  RB and lets add ST development. Those 3 areas need a huge coaching upgrade immediately

Will he agree to that? Why hasn't he made moves there in 4 years if so?

I wonder if he feels they are so "close", that no changes need to be made to his long time coaches.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I wonder if he feels they are so "close", that no changes need to be made to his long time coaches.

Yes,  that very well may be the case and if so, then it is time for a new coach if he isn't willing to make changes like Michigan did to their staff

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We're IN year 4.

And he has made changes.

He might need to make more, but we need to stop overblowing this "after 4 years" line.....especially since last season was covid 

• Haha 4
13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think he knows that what he had then, he doesn't have now, and that's ample time to hope these two coaches get it worked out. If anything, the four years have crystalized some pretty obvious issues. It would not hurt to replace them based on their performances.

What we have seen from Piper and Benhart, or RB's going in the wrong direction, stumbling, and running into O-linemens' asses, it doesn't get any worse. 

Also, don't look now but O-line recruiting has been incredibly suspect. Our misses there have been woeful, and we are relying on a ton of Riley era guys. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Ha! That doesn't even make sense. Lifetime NFL guy may not translate to college. Quite different with professionals who will show up and grind every day without a lot of prodding.

No disagreement...... but imagine if Mike Tomlin was in your living room with a letter of intent