Made up your mind or waiting to see?

Hilltop

Have you already made up your mind?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Imagine if Dwayne the rock Johnson was in your living room with a letter of intent. 

Hollywood is a better gig and Tomlin is a coach now.....so....you know....different.

But Manny D should keep that mind.

How's the Hawkeye Bud Light on a Friday night?

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

We're IN year 4.

And he has made changes.

He might need to make more, but we need to stop overblowing this "after 4 years" line.....especially since last season was covid 

I was specifically referring to the 3 coaches mentioned,  RB, OL and ST. He isn't making a change to coaches in season, that is what I meant by 4 years (I said in 4 years,  not after 4 years).  Every school dealt with Covid, that's not a valid excuse in my book.

He made a half hearted attempt at improving ST, I'll give you that.  We're still ranked 129th/130 in ST efficiency.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overallst/2021

(They don't count FCS games, hence the 2-5 record).

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I was specifically referring to the 3 coaches mentioned,  RB, OL and ST. He isn't making a change to coaches in season, that is what I meant by 4 years (I said in 4 years,  not after 4 years).  Every school dealt with Covid, that's not a valid excuse in my book.

He made a half hearted attempt at improving ST, I'll give you that.  We're still ranked 129th/130 in ST efficiency.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overallst/2021

(They don't count FCS games, hence the 2-5 record).

I'm more concerned about the offensive line.

3 years is tougher to figure out the OL since Turner is a 2nd year player and Teddy a true freshman.  So "4 years" doesn't apply there since the staff is trying to assemble a B1G offensive line and those two haven't even been on the team that long 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I'm more concerned about the offensive line.

3 years is tougher to figure out the OL since Turner is a 2nd year player and Teddy a true freshman.  So "4 years" doesn't apply there since the staff is trying to assemble a B1G offensive line and those two haven't even been on the team that long 

Whether or not they choose to play freshman,  it's the coaches responsibility to figure things out to be at least average in the league by year 4.  It's hard, but the staff is collectively making what,  close to 8/9/10 million per year?  By that logic starting a freshman anytime resets the clock and that's rather silly.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Whether or not they choose to play freshman,  it's the coaches responsibility to figure things out to be at least average in the league by year 4.  It's hard, but the staff is collectively making what,  close to 8/9/10 million per year?  By that logic starting a freshman anytime resets the clock and that's rather silly.

Of course it's the coaching ataff's responsibility to figure things out.

Our collective staff is well compensated.

Welcome to college football.

Regardless of how we finish the season, Coaches Austin and Verduzco need to go and be replaced by competent coaches. They have had plenty of opportunities to show results on the field and they have failed miserably. You can give them 10 more years and they are not going to get better. We also need a dedicated special teams coach who knows what they are doing. Special teams can win you many games, especially close ones. What we have right now is ridiculous and unacceptable at any level of football including junior high level. 

As for Frost, if we finish strong and get to 6-6, he needs to be given another year contingent that he makes coaching changes as stated above. Otherwise, we throw him a farewell party and wish him all the best in his next career endeavor. Striving to be 0.500 is not why we got Frost. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Regardless of how we finish the season, Coaches Austin and Verduzco need to go and be replaced by competent coaches. They have had plenty of opportunities to show results on the field and they have failed miserably. You can give them 10 more years and they are not going to get better. We also need a dedicated special teams coach who knows what they are doing. Special teams can win you many games, especially close ones. What we have right now is ridiculous and unacceptable at any level of football including junior high level. 

As for Frost, if we finish strong and get to 6-6, he needs to be given another year contingent that he makes coaching changes as stated above. Otherwise, we throw him a farewell party and wish him all the best in his next career endeavor. Striving to be 0.500 is not why we got Frost. 

held and Austin need to go. There’s a rumor that verduzco is retiring. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Vince, Held is a guy I seem to like/enjoy.  Can you give more of "the X's and O's" of  why you think he needs to go?  What has and hasn't he done as you see from a coach's eye? 

You think we've been good at RB the last 4 years? Ozigbo a Riley recruit has been his best RB. Otherwise we play musical chairs. 

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You think we've been good at RB the last 4 years? Ozigbo a Riley recruit has been his best RB. Otherwise we play musical chairs. 

No, not only have we not been good, but my eye has been better on prospects [see Breece Hall].  That doesn't change the fact that I genuinely like Held but don't have the "X's" and "O's" type of mind [a coach's eye] to know outside of recruiting why Held needs to go.  @Vince R. has that "coach's eye", so I was just curious what his eye sees.

I will continue to state this ... the OL, for me, continues to be deplorable, even as it gets more and more experience.  Thus, I don't know anymore if it is as much the RB coach and/or the OL coaching.  This is where a guy like @Vince R. who has done this sort of things seems to have a better eye.  I'm an "eyeball" test type of "fan" when it comes to football.  Tennis, golf and running are different skills I can give a good critique on.  For football, I just want a back who can get you the tough yards, averages 6-8 yards a carry and take it to the house on any snap.  If that guy was Breece Hall, then we missed on him.  Yet, something tells me that if Breece was here, he wouldn't be that good ... which leads me to the OL concern.

Thanks for chiming in.

• Plus1 2