NBA 2023-24

1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I think it’s a fair point. Im definitely not saying that Luka is not a superstar. Maybe the larger point here is that the qualities that get a superstar covered aren’t necessarily the same qualities that make his team successful. 

The NBA earned its popularity by promoting its stars as individuals. IMO, this has carried over into some lazy analysis by the sports media, ESPN specifically. Unlike other sports, you rarely see analysis of plays or schematics in the NBA. Instead you get Stephen A. Smith or Michael Wilbon saying ‘team A lost  because player X failed to take over the game’.  These guys look at the stat line and feel qualified to offer analysis. ‘Kevin Durant had 35 points, so he had a good game.’  Did he?  He shot 10-25 and committed 5 TOs. Even assists don’t really tell the whole story on whether a guy is unselfish and made the right basketball play most of the time. 

As you’ve gathered, I’m a Nuggets fan.  I get told all the time that the Nuggets are good, but boring. This confuses me because how is Phoenix Suns ‘your turn, my turn’ iso ball exciting?  How is Joel Embiid grifting fouls and shooting 15 free throws a night exciting?  Isn’t it fun to watch a team that passes the ball and makes good basketball plays?  It’s more of a commentary that the media tries to tell us how to watch an NBA game and ESPN is the ultimate casual fan version of the media. 

Bringing it back to Luka…I don’t think the Mavs are going to win consistently if they utterly rely on Doncic to have 80% usage and shoot lights out night in and night out. He shouldn’t be dribbling for 15 seconds unless it’s the end of a quarter. He shouldn’t be taking step back threes as a first option. He shouldn’t be getting caught in the lane with nowhere to go consistently and throwing the ball away. And he shouldn’t be abandoning his team in transition to argue with the refs.  He could be an MVP if he made those changes, and the Mavs would be a contender as well. 

Wow...  

Angry Advice Mallard - Imgflip

Because everything you said....

The popular Agree GIFs everyone's sharing

13 hours ago, admo said:

"ON Record"...  I hope Denver repeats and three-peats.   

Best collectively team playing and inspired B-Ball I seen since the time frame of the mid 80's to early 90's. 

-Mavs fan here saying that.  I'm down with the Nuggets

Rush Hour GIF - Rushhour Jackiechan Christucker GIFs | Say more with Tenor

I'm a Warriors fan, and every Warriors fan I know has nothing but respect for Denver's game. 

I come from a team that's famously not boring, and I don't see anything boring in Denver's game. Is consistency really boring? 

14 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Bringing it back to Luka…I don’t think the Mavs are going to win consistently if they utterly rely on Doncic to have 80% usage and shoot lights out night in and night out. He shouldn’t be dribbling for 15 seconds unless it’s the end of a quarter. He shouldn’t be taking step back threes as a first option. He shouldn’t be getting caught in the lane with nowhere to go consistently and throwing the ball away. And he shouldn’t be abandoning his team in transition to argue with the refs.  He could be an MVP if he made those changes, and the Mavs would be a contender as well. 

Luka needs to treat Dereck LIvely as a budding superstar, who will make his own outside shots and inside drives easier. 

At that point, Kyrie Irving becomes found money: whatever you get from him is appreciated, but you're not watching and waiting for it. 

It's not true that Luka cannot get this team to the Championship.  Or that he cannot win in playoffs.  

If you remember, just the year before last season, Luka had the Mavericks playing in the Western Conference Finals.  They got slaughtered by Golden State, with much respect to the Warriors.  But he did get them to the WCF not long ago.  

It's not a Luka or Mavericks problem to solve, because GS and now Denver are the premier playoff teams in the West (and overall IMHO).  Those two teams are built for playoff series basketball, and you have to go through them.  Which is most difficult for anyone, including the Mavericks.  I don't see Denver getting unseated anytime soon.  But if any team can do it, then it's Golden State.

2 seasons ago, Phoenix traded for Durant and they had the best Vegas Odds to win it all.  The media also agreed.  But, Luka led the Mavericks past them, and destroyed Phoenix in the last 2 games to go to the Finals (won by 27, won by 33).  They embarrassed Durant/Booker/Paul etc.  And then Golden State whooped the Mavs back into reality lol....

Last year the Mavs were on track to make the playoff post season again, and Luka was leading the NBA in scoring at 34 per game.  We all know that after Mark Cuban mysteriously traded for Kyrie Irving, the Mavs played horrible and lost their way out of the playoff picture.  Luka's scoring dropped because of it too, and he finished 2nd or 3rd in scoring.  Total dissaster and stupid move by Mark Cuban.  

Fortunately, the Mavs will be back in the playoffs this season, and they are 6-1 right now (only loss was a clear whoopin by the Nuggets).  

Luka is just 24.  He has led the Mavs to 31 playoff games between the age of 19-22. 

The Mavs were terrible before he got to town, consistently being a below average team and missing the playoffs.  Their seasonal record before him:

33-49

24-58

33-49

42-40

As for Luka and the playoffs?  He can carry the team, but he could use a lot more help from the starting lineup and the bench.  I loved the guys they had but traded for Kyrie Irving (Dorian Finney-Smith & Dinwiddie) because they could defend, score in the post or from outside.  

And here is what Luka has done in his playoff career (remember - 19 years old to 22 years old):

31 games

Scored 25 points a game or more, 23 times.

Scored 30 points a game or more, 17 times.

Scored 40 points a game or more, 8 times

15 double-doubles

3 triple-doubles

17 rebounds in a game (High)

14 assists in a game (High - twice)

Led team to Western Conference Finals - Once

19-22 years old; Dude is a stud. He can't do it alone though.  It's too hard and takes a lot of energy out of one person to carry a team in the playoffs.  

But after saying all that :P  I still think Denver is (and will continue to be) the best team in the league, and the team you have to go through.  The next team below them is the Golden State Warriors - and we've seen how many years they've been to the Finals and won it all.  So they are the only team that could possibly unseat Denver.  That's two teams that own the West in my opinion.  And it has nothing to do with how great Luka is or his off-nights.  Those teams are the best by far.  Phoenix is also a contender.  And man, I really like the Kings too, but they are like the Mavericks and will be missing an extra piece to make the next step.  

2 hours ago, admo said:

2 seasons ago, Phoenix traded for Durant and they had the best Vegas Odds to win it all.  The media also agreed.  But, Luka led the Mavericks past them, and destroyed Phoenix in the last 2 games to go to the Finals (won by 27, won by 33).  They embarrassed Durant/Booker/Paul etc.  And then Golden State whooped the Mavs back into reality lol....

Ummmm. Are you sure you watched that series?  The Suns didn’t get Durant until earlier this calendar year. The Mavs didn’t beat the KD Suns in the semis. 

3 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Ummmm. Are you sure you watched that series?  The Suns didn’t get Durant until earlier this calendar year. The Mavs didn’t beat the KD Suns in the semis. 

Haha that's right.  And yes I watched the Mavs throttle the Phoenix Suns like everyone else did.  

And yes I got Durant's timeframe with Phoneix confused.  My bad.  It is okay to get confused at times.  Maybe it's because it felt similar, in the way the Suns got blown out in the playoffs last year by Denver, after getting beat bad by the Mavs in the playoffs the year before.  So part of my point was off about Phoenix and Durant, and I was wrong. 

The other part (main part) about Luka leading the Mavs to the Western Conference Finals was right. 

Feel free to ummmm, recognize that too. Or ummmm, not.  

7 minutes ago, admo said:

Haha that's right.  And yes I watched the Mavs throttle the Phoenix Suns like everyone else did.  

And yes I got Durant's timeframe with Phoneix confused.  My bad.  It is okay to get confused at times.  Maybe it's because it felt similar, in the way the Suns got blown out in the playoffs last year by Denver, after getting beat bad by the Mavs in the playoffs the year before.  So part of my point was off about Phoenix and Durant, and I was wrong. 

The other part (main part) about Luka leading the Mavs to the Western Conference Finals was right. 

Feel free to ummmm, recognize that too. Or ummmm, not.  

I could not forget it. I very much dislike the suns and relish memories of them being throttled. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
13 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I could not forget it. I very much dislike the suns and relish memories of them being throttled. 

I mean, those were two absolutely crushing season-ending losses for the Suns. Over at halftime. At home. The crowd absolutely stunned. You can't imagine how a head coach could get fired after posting the record the Phoenix Suns did, but then you remember those anemic blowouts when it mattered most and kinda understand.

Just over two years ago Phoenix was playing in the NBA Finals. My understanding is that Devin Booker is the ONLY remaining member of that team. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

9 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Being cautious with Murray is a smart move.  They definitely will miss him, and will probably drop a few more than they would normally.  

They will be fine. Going to be like his 1st MVP season where Jokic had to carry hard to get a win. If they go like 7-3 over the next 10 or so games without him Murray that will be good. Just need everyone healthy for the playoffs. Hopefully MPJ keeps playing like he has the past few games. Rookies and young guys need to lock in every night. Strawther was bad on defense last night. All I know is that Gillespie is not it. Either go big with the bench and go no back up point guard or give the rookie Pickett a shot until Murray gets back.

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Being cautious with Murray is a smart move.  They definitely will miss him, and will probably drop a few more than they would normally.  

Did you watch last night's game? Warriors lost but it was a good one. 

Everyone talks about the superstars, but sometimes it's the Reggie Jacksons who make the difference.

Also, that bulls#!t missed goaltending call. 

Should be a fun year. 

• TBH 1
On 11/7/2023 at 5:29 PM, Lorewarn said:

Whether this is a fair narrative is a matter of opinion, but until he actually does in fact get them to the championship, it is true.

I should have said "I think before he retires, Luka could possibly lead the Mavericks to another championship for the organization".  We all know how tough the West is, so most likely not anytime soon.  

And also, I'm good ever since Dirk led the Mavericks to a championship.  That playoff run to beat Portland, sweep the defending champ Lakers, beat OKC with Durant and Westbrook, then beat Miami Heat with the Big 3 in their inaugural season.   

I like Luka a ton.  But I will always be a Dirk fan.  He was a pretty good baller, and always a great person.  That's my guy.  

Best Dirk Nowitzki haircuts during his illustrious career

dirk-nowitzki-040919-ftrjpg_qbambrai50v91ry4297y56ypb.jpg?t=135128698&w={width}&quality=80

Mavericks Milestone Watch: Dirk Nowitzki to pass very significant company

dirk 2007 mvp | HoopsHype

5ffeb1bd-838f-48bc-b70e-04845952eaee.jpeg?w=470

115952428_original.jpg?1307970488

HOF

Dirk Nowitzki für Hall of Fame der NBA nominiert - DER SPIEGEL