What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

4 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Was Fleeks not here for summer conditioning? Did he go home and get fat in just a couple weeks?I can't remember, was he a walk-on? or scholly?

I think he's on one of those new fangled NIL schollys that we gave to a few of the super senior Covid guys to get down to 85.

2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I disagree with you. Minnesota is prime example of how time of possession (TOP) leads to winning more often than not. They are not exceptionally skilled offensively, nor splashy with big scoring plays. Instead they routinely sit on the ball for 60-70% of games and gives their defense a limited amount of plays to face. This limitation reduces the opportunities for your defense to get beat and shortens the game dramatically. It is not a coincidence that many of the top teams in the country also lead in TOP and I argue that TOP can be an indicator of success, not success being an indicator of TOP. Below are a couple peers and how the numbers break out from last season.

Despite playing three less games than National Champ Georgia, our defense faced only five less plays than them or country leading Air Force playing an extra game, but facing 250 plays less than our defense last season. The additional plays faced exposed our defenders more often as they had significantly more opportunities to be exposed compared to peers. Back to the point... Farmer is not a bad player and we are a better team with him than without him.

Team Games Plays faced Avg. plays faced per game TOP (minutes per game) 2022 Record
Air Force
13 657 50.54 36.54 10-3
Minnesota 13 772 59.38 34.46 9-4
Georgia 15 912 60.80 33.6 15-0
Michigan 14 879 62.79 33.79 13-1
Iowa 13 883 67.92 28.31 8-5
Nebraska 12 907 75.58 26.67 4-8
Oklahoma 13 1043 80.23 26.38 6-7

I mean ... did you just cherry-pick the ones you wanted?

Air Force led the nation in Time of Possession last year and was 10-3, as you said.

Navy was second in Time of Possession.  They were 4-8.

UTEP was fifth.  They were 5-7.

Buffalo was 9th.  They were 7-6.

Rice was 13th.  They were 5-8.

On the other hand, Tennessee was #130 in the country in TOP.  They were 11-2.

Ole Miss was #125.  They were 8-5.

UCLA was #119.  They were 9-4.

There really isn't any correlation.  Or, as @brophog said, it's more going the other way - winning allows you to bleed the clock and try to play keep-away.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think he's on one of those new fangled NIL schollys that we gave to a few of the super senior Covid guys to get down to 85.

I don't think anyone really knows for sure but I've seen speculation several times that is the case with him.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think anyone really knows for sure but I've seen speculation several times that is the case with him.

From what I've gathered its a few of the Covid Super Seniors who are here for an extra year that are on the "NIL scholly".  Only here for a semester and lower number of credit hours they need to take due to being a grad student.

And before any asks, this has us at 89 (includes Farmer), so you can do the math from there.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

From what I've gathered its a few of the Covid Super Seniors who are here for an extra year that are on the "NIL scholly".  Only here for a semester and lower number of credit hours they need to take due to being a grad student.

And before any asks, this has us at 89 (includes Farmer), so you can do the math from there.

I had seen Bleekrode and Ortiz and possibilities for that as well.

I also have us at 89, so it would seem that there is at least one more.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... did you just cherry-pick the ones you wanted?

Air Force led the nation in Time of Possession last year and was 10-3, as you said.

Navy was second in Time of Possession.  They were 4-8.

UTEP was fifth.  They were 5-7.

Buffalo was 9th.  They were 7-6.

Rice was 13th.  They were 5-8.

On the other hand, Tennessee was #130 in the country in TOP.  They were 11-2.

Ole Miss was #125.  They were 8-5.

UCLA was #119.  They were 9-4.

There really isn't any correlation.  Or, as @brophog said, it's more going the other way - winning allows you to bleed the clock and try to play keep-away.

I pulled the top (Air Force), the bottom (Oklahoma), the National Champ (Georgia), the Big Ten champ (Michigan) and two peers from our division (Iowa & Minnesota).

I don't believe that it is a coincidence that the top teams in the league were considered among the best in the country in TOP despite relatively limited offenses (Minnesota, Illinois, etc.). I understand the keep away argument and it's fair, however even when losing, many of these teams sit on the ball regardless as it frustrates opposing offenses to have limited possessions and kills any sort of momentum as the game wears on. The fact of the matter is that unless your offense is exceptional, controlling the TOP more often than not leads to success.

Team Record TOP Rank
Michigan 13-1 5
Ohio State 11-2 46
Penn State 11-2 51
Maryland 8-5 41
Michigan State 5-7 126
Indiana 4-8 128
Rutgers 4-8 87

Minnesota 9-4 4
Purdue 8-6 26
Illinois 8-5 12
Iowa 8-5 108
Wisconsin 7-6 34
Nebraska 4-8 122
Northwestern 1-11 84
  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Or, as @brophog said, it's more going the other way - winning allows you to bleed the clock and try to play keep-away.

Rushing is also an inverse correlation to winning. Obviously there are a handful of teams that run the ball regardless, but for the vast, vast majority teams that is the case. That's why you'll often here stats like a team having a ludicrous winning percentage when rushing for 200 yards despite the fact the game has greatly trended towards the passing game at all levels.

If rushing for 200 yards was the great secret to winning an extremely high percentage of games, you'd think everyone would be lining up in the Maryland I.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

I'm going even further off topic of this thread, but in the name of clock management and time of possession, here is a good example of Rhule's usage.

2016 Navy vs Temple.

Early in the game Temple has the playbook open. Go up 2 scores early in the 2nd quarter and they get the ball back. Out come the fullbacks and it's time to pound. Against most teams, it's probably too early to go into ball control mode, but this is Navy they are playing. Due to Navy's style of play, they're already going to limit the number of available possessions.

So Temple is pound pound pound then they take a shot downfield and go up 3 scores. Navy pulls back a FG and Temple gets it with about 5 mins remaining in the 2nd half. Out come the fullbacks again, pound pound pound. Then they break a long run. Eventually get across midfield late in the quarter. Now you have a chance to score, so off come the fullbacks, jump into Shotgun and take some shots. They have to settle for a FG, puts them up 24-3 going into the half. Temple wins 34-10.

One of the ways Rhule is going to turn those close losses into wins is clock management like this. It's not a question of playing fast or slow, it's more of a question of knowing when it's more valuable to use clock vs when it's more valuable to try to score. I thought this was a good, and particularly pertinent, example of this.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1