*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

It makes sense if you aren’t looking at things from a Husker fans perspective.

Ruhle didn’t improve the number of wins.  Deion did.  And Deion did it at Colorado, a really bad team the last few years.

I disagree.  Nebraska's program and roster is continually improving.  Colorado is in shambles with no real indication on how he's going to fill out a roster this year.

There's more to this than the first year record.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree.  Nebraska's program and roster is continually improving.  Colorado is in shambles with no real indication on how he's going to fill out a roster this year.

There's more to this than the first year record.

Do you honestly believe the authors of these articles actually spend more than about 5-10 minutes looking into the results (tangible and intangible)?

My guess is they looked at record improvement and who they beat.  And that's about it.  But could be wrong, I don't bother reading things like this because it's usually not what a person who follows a team would agree with.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Do you honestly believe the authors of these articles actually spend more than about 5-10 minutes looking into the results (tangible and intangible)?

My guess is they looked at record improvement and who they beat.  And that's about it.  But could be wrong, I don't bother reading things like this because it's usually not what a person who follows a team would agree with.

No, I don't.  That's why I disagree with the grades.

Just based on this year's wins and losses, a C+ is much too generous. This season was a failure, and a huge missed opportunity. The schedule was easier than any year of the Frost era. I mean this was by far the worst year for the Big Ten as a whole since we joined - every team not named Meatchicken, Ohio State, or Penn State was dogs#!t. They had the perfect conditions to at least get back to a bowl game, and they blew it.

But with that said, by far the biggest reason for this year's under-performance, and the biggest black mark on Rhule's record as Husker HC, was Jeff Sims. I'm still not quite sure what the hell went so wrong there. If he even just looks as good as he did at Georgia Tech, our results this year would probably have been very different. Was it something the coaches did? I mean he couldn't even field a clean snap reliably, or remember which way a hand-off was supposed to go. I don't think that level of failure can really be explained by coaching. I guess all I can do is speculate that he got the yips and move on.

Other than that, Rhule's moves have been pretty solid, with some bright spots like the defense. Sims is gone, and I doubt things will look as scary at QB next year. I think as of right now, I'd have to give Rhule an 'incomplete' grade. Needs to finish the job!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty slow here so here's a tidbit. Last year, did anyone notice that the high south stadium camera is the first replay on HuskerVision? It was, then other camera angles were shown. My son was a HV intern. Matt Rhule asked HV to do that. I guess it's the closest shot to an All 22. So check it out next time you're the stadium, high south is always the first.

We went to this game so this highlight is super cool. My kid's camera on Coleman's first TD! It was awesome!

https://i.imgur.com/Mli10DZ.mp4

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been so impressed with Coach Rhule since he arrived. Watching the Spring Game, one thing that really stuck out to me was how upset he was to be up in the booth when one of his players was injured. It was so refreshing to hear him say how much he wishes he was down on the field with the player. The guy just gets it. 

• TBH 4