Candidates for baseball HC?

Hiring Darin Erstad as head coach would be like hiring Eric Crouch as offensive coordinator.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say hiring Darin Erstad as head coach is like hiring Eric Crouch as head coach?

Actually neither is comparable. Crouch has almost zero ability to coach football. Erstad however would be a good coach.

Hiring Darin Erstad as head coach would be like hiring Eric Crouch as offensive coordinator.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say hiring Darin Erstad as head coach is like hiring Eric Crouch as head coach?

Actually neither is comparable. Crouch has almost zero ability to coach football. Erstad however would be a good coach.

Do we know either to be absolutely true? I don't recall Crouch ever taking a coaching position, and technically Erstad got fired his first year on the job.

I'm just sayin'. :lol::)

Having spoken with Eric Crouch on a few occassions, I really think that he is happy with life outside of football.

Dr Tom's comments concerning Darin in an article last week from the LJS.

"I think he's got to decide whether he's interested in being a full-time coach, or does he want to be a little peripheral and be more involved with his family," Osborne said. "He's thinking it through right now. I would like to see Darin stay involved with the program in some fashion. ... I would imagine if he wants to, there'll be some involvement."

those comments can be taken alot of different ways.

The pipe dream name that will be thrown out there is Brian O'Conner HC at Virginia. Former Creighton pitcher and coach. Born in Omaha, graduated from CB St. Albert and then pitched at Creighton. Also was CU's pitching coach from 93-95. So yes he has ties to the area. However, do those ties lead to a decision to leave a program that is more or less a college power, and plays in a VERY good baseball conference? Seven straight to the NCAA tourney, including the 2009 CWS. Had an overall win percentage of .728 heading into the year.

And now Virginia was awarded the #1 overall seed.

The pipe dream name that will be thrown out there is Brian O'Conner HC at Virginia. Former Creighton pitcher and coach. Born in Omaha, graduated from CB St. Albert and then pitched at Creighton. Also was CU's pitching coach from 93-95. So yes he has ties to the area. However, do those ties lead to a decision to leave a program that is more or less a college power, and plays in a VERY good baseball conference? Seven straight to the NCAA tourney, including the 2009 CWS. Had an overall win percentage of .728 heading into the year.

And now Virginia was awarded the #1 overall seed.

And have potentially the hardest route to Omaha in the Super Regionals. Potentially will see Bauer and Cole of UCLA in a best of three. Ouch

Dr Tom's comments concerning Darin in an article last week from the LJS.

"I think he's got to decide whether he's interested in being a full-time coach, or does he want to be a little peripheral and be more involved with his family," Osborne said. "He's thinking it through right now. I would like to see Darin stay involved with the program in some fashion. ... I would imagine if he wants to, there'll be some involvement."

those comments can be taken alot of different ways.

Don't make more of it that what it is. But if I'm saying...come to NU to coach baseball and who would you like on your staff and would you be willing to have "this guy" I think that needs to be known before you create a little headache if there doesn't need to be one. Coaches like to hire all of their staff and not be told you have to keep someone. I think there are two head coaches,an assistant coach and Will Bolt ahead of DE. (Im not to excited about one of the guys that could be the hire) I think we'd like to have DE as a head coach some day but we don't want it to be now.

I quickly glanced through most of the prior posts and I am not sure if I saw anything mentioned about Ed Cervais (Creighton).... Is this because no one on the board is interested in him, or because it has been known that he will not come to NU????

Just asking.... the Omaha paper last week had a couple of articles promoting Ed as a prime candidate for the job. Citing that TO is very very fond of Cervais. Remember, TO was an athletic advisor at Creighton for a year or two before rejoining UNL. Furhtermore, Ed has a tremendous tract record and although I friggin HATE Creighton, I really respect this guy. I have listened to him and watched him coach for many years. Kind of like Dana Altman.... Right now, I would love to have Alman over Doc (another story for another day)... and UNL does have a small history of taking coaches from Creighton (Connie Yori)..

I believe that the article mentioned something that although Cervais' contract isn't public, they thought he might make approx. $150k compared to the $330k - $350k that Anderson made. The paper thought that maybe UNL could pay Cervais about $200k and have a great shot at making a run. Also, rumors from former players have led to some speculation that Ed "may" have a fairly deep interest in UNL.

I know that he isn't the "pipe dream" guy, but I think he can recruit....but then again...he has a much better faciltiy at Creighton (funny to say that about Haymarket, but TD Ameritrade is spectacular)... and he is winning and comfortable....

The SLOW play on rumors obviously leads us to believe TO is after a guy in the tourney, which includes Creighton. This will get interesting fast, as teams become eliminated.

I quickly glanced through most of the prior posts and I am not sure if I saw anything mentioned about Ed Cervais (Creighton).... Is this because no one on the board is interested in him, or because it has been known that he will not come to NU????

Just asking.... the Omaha paper last week had a couple of articles promoting Ed as a prime candidate for the job. Citing that TO is very very fond of Cervais. Remember, TO was an athletic advisor at Creighton for a year or two before rejoining UNL. Furhtermore, Ed has a tremendous tract record and although I friggin HATE Creighton, I really respect this guy. I have listened to him and watched him coach for many years. Kind of like Dana Altman.... Right now, I would love to have Alman over Doc (another story for another day)... and UNL does have a small history of taking coaches from Creighton (Connie Yori)..

I believe that the article mentioned something that although Cervais' contract isn't public, they thought he might make approx. $150k compared to the $330k - $350k that Anderson made. The paper thought that maybe UNL could pay Cervais about $200k and have a great shot at making a run. Also, rumors from former players have led to some speculation that Ed "may" have a fairly deep interest in UNL.

I know that he isn't the "pipe dream" guy, but I think he can recruit....but then again...he has a much better faciltiy at Creighton (funny to say that about Haymarket, but TD Ameritrade is spectacular)... and he is winning and comfortable....

The SLOW play on rumors obviously leads us to believe TO is after a guy in the tourney, which includes Creighton. This will get interesting fast, as teams become eliminated.

Ed Servais is a decent candidate. I however don't quite see that he is the best candidate. He has done a great job at creighton but their 44-14 record this year is deceiving. They didn't have that great of a team and their schedule wasnt that great. I dont particularly like his style of play. one of my peevs is switching pitchers almost every inning. i understand why he does it, but the game just drags on. small ball i good and creighton always does a great job with that. anderwatson tried to emulate that at times but he was unsuccessful. I would like to see someone other than ed but it wouldnt be the end of the world if he were to come to nebraska.

Agreed. I too do NOT have him at the TOP of my wish list. There are other guys on that list that would get me more amped up... In fact, I still would rather have Will Bolt. He was the the first name I threw out there that I wanted. Ed does do a great job of playing small ball and Creighton is near the top of the ncaa is defensive categories (if not on top). His teams typically play great "fundamental" baseball. They rarely beat themselves...although they did when NU won earlier this season.

Again, not the top of any "wish" list, but I do think he is a viable prospect. Not just based on this season, but his career. I just was wondering why he hadn't been mentioned in the thread.