FootballScoop reports Bo-To-Arkansas fell through after CCG

While you are probably right, I still don't have a problem with getting scholarships to hard-working walk-ons who have contributed big-time like Spencer Long, Choi, Justin Jackson, and Brett Maher. To me, it's appropriate to award those guys with a scholarship because at the same time, you have highly rated scholarship guys that come here and never pan out. A lot of them have never seen the field but have still had their entire college education paid for. You tell me who deserves that scholarship more.

That's of course the morally acceptable and ethically sound thing to do. But throw that out the door for a second and look at things just purely from a wins/losses thing (which we all can admit is what us fans care about 95% of the time). Bottom line, those guys weren't quiting the team w/out their scholly. They weren't going to all of a sudden quit performing at the same level without their scholly. So from a football standpoint, purely wins/losses, only considering what is best for the football team itself - those were "wasted" scholarships. (i will get blasted for saying that but at the end of the day, from a business sense...that's the truth).

I absolutely won't blast you for saying that. If that's the way that the coach wanted to do it, I wouldn't have any problem with it whatsoever. I just LOVE how Bo currently awards scholarships to walk-ons who are integral parts of the team. Like you said, those guys are there for the long haul regardless, but I'm sure it makes an enormous difference in those guys' lives when they get and unexpected full-ride scholarship to pay for the final year or two of college.

Also, it helps us to recruit invited walk-ons when we can point to success stories like Choi, Jackson, Maher, ect who were awarded schollies. Our walk-on program---especially the invited walk-ons that we recruit---is an advantage we have over nearly every other school out there. Nobody gets more mileage out of their walk-on program than us.

Also, it helps us to recruit invited walk-ons when we can point to success stories like Choi, Jackson, Maher, ect who were awarded schollies. Our walk-on program---especially the invited walk-ons that we recruit---is an advantage we have over nearly every other school out there. Nobody gets more mileage out of their walk-on program than us.

Very true. I've heard a lot of about USC's walk-on program as well - and that's not something you'd think about. I wonder if ours is really that abnormal? We like to think it is (probably because our lack of recruiting means more of our walkons actually can make an impact) - but I'd bet Notre Dame/Ohio State/Alabama/Florida, etc - have local kids lined up wanting to walk-on to their program too.

I'd nitpick here just a tiny bit though and say that it used to be an advantage, when we could have a roster of 472 players (hyperbole). Now that those numbers have been restricted, it's not as much as an advantage as it used to be. But you're right - it's still a factor for us.

If he had someone talk to them...............he needs to go! Arkansas is not a better program than Nebraska, if he's gonna leave at least go to a better program. Not something that's equal or less than equal of Nebraska. I have a feeling we are stuck with him now, especially after his coaching job in the CCG. If he doesn't want to be here, quit and go some place else, but do it soon so we can get someone to replace you that is a good replacement.

I like Bo. but at the end of the day i do agree. we need a someone who knows and loves Nebraska. Turner Gill still strikes me as someone who we need involved in our program no matter the position.

Bo will be here till he sees something better is what i fear. with that i think we need a short list of Nebraska football program related guys ready for any situation.

I love Turner, but he will not come back to nebraska unless it as HC and that's will never happen.

And he's a head coach at what major college right now? Oh that's right. A college no one has ever heard of. I'm guessing he'd make more as an assistant at NU than as a head coach for Whatever College.

Sounds like coveting your coaches job is in your alley. Maybe Turner was lead by his belief in quality over quantity. Liberty is one of a few Colleges nowadays that is Christian. Kinda like Stanford and Harvard used to be when they were incepted. So crack on a guy who would rather develop character with the by-product being a talented football player. Kinda like what Nebraska Football used to be.

• Fire 1

@footballscoop At Arkansas, several agents & coaches felt that Bo Pelini had the job…and then Wisconsin rolled them Saturday night

Put here for your consideration. If Bo talked to them, or had agents talk to them, it raises the question if he wants to be here anymore.

I have always thought by the time that he gets good, him and his staff will be gone. Nebraska is just a training ground...I don't think Bo or any of his staff have plans to stay here long-term. Again, this is just the feeling I get based on the past.

@footballscoop At Arkansas, several agents & coaches felt that Bo Pelini had the job…and then Wisconsin rolled them Saturday night

Put here for your consideration. If Bo talked to them, or had agents talk to them, it raises the question if he wants to be here anymore.

I have always thought by the time that he gets good, him and his staff will be gone. Nebraska is just a training ground...I don't think Bo or any of his staff have plans to stay here long-term. Again, this is just the feeling I get based on the past.

Based on the past. What "past" would that be? Davaney? Osborne? Solich? Callahan? Or are you talking about the multiple coaches fired before Devaney? I'm confused.