FootballScoop reports Bo-To-Arkansas fell through after CCG

Bielema to Arky is a shocker...didn't see that coming. Maybe years from now we'll know the real truth if Bo was in the running. I still don't really understand why Bielema or Bo would be interested in Arky but money talks. To me, Tennessee is the best of the jobs that were open in the SEC. If Bo goes there and we can hire Petersen, I make that deal. At least Petersen is still out there (his rumor to Arky now dead).

This is what I was going to bring up. I haven't read anything (thought I may have missed it) that Bo actually TALKED to the Arky AD. Knapp's tweet can be interpreted as "Arkansas would have hired Bo HAD they been given the chance and offered him the job"

being slightly argumentative here, but does anyone actually "talk" anymore? Maybe Bo's agent/lawyer talked to Arkansas. I believe that Bo isn't talking to anyone, but then I really can't imagine anything better then DONU

Damn good point. It offers plausible deniability to both parties if things fall thru. Hadn't thought about that.

But I agree with Bo not talking to anyone. I have to think Tom is telling Bo to be patient knowing he went thru the same things during his tenure as HC.

I'm surprised nobody has jumped down your throat for this yet. So I will.... HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TOM NEVER GOT BLOWN OUT, HE BARELY EVER LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!! BO IS TERRIBLE I WISH HE WAS GONE!!!!!!!! :sarcasm:D

If BO is trying to better himself good. My personal experience, you never really know how good/bad you have it at your job until a sure offer comes along.......Maybe he gets "the offer" and realizes NU isn't that bad. Perspective in clarity is good.

In regards to oversigning, it works. NU has 20+ OL on schollie and 3 walk-ons starting to include a defensive tackle switched to center. Basically same with the DL. We recruit by the numbers, guys do not work out and we are screwed. SEC over recruits by 15 guys, enough pan out to have a pretty complete class each year. Quality depth each year and at each position. We recruit, X number do not pan out and we wait until next year. Recruit some more and 1-2 on OL work out and now we have 2 fresh and 3 seniors for example.

I do not agree with it, but until it is illegal that is what we are up against.

If Bliema to Arkansas is true, he is a perfect fit in the SEC.

Oversigning is illegal for us but not for the SEC. The conferences have different rules. The rest of college football needs to vote in the next NCAA rules meeting to outlaw it period. And not let the conferences make the calls.

If he had someone talk to them...............he needs to go! Arkansas is not a better program than Nebraska, if he's gonna leave at least go to a better program. Not something that's equal or less than equal of Nebraska. I have a feeling we are stuck with him now, especially after his coaching job in the CCG. If he doesn't want to be here, quit and go some place else, but do it soon so we can get someone to replace you that is a good replacement.

I like Bo. but at the end of the day i do agree. we need a someone who knows and loves Nebraska. Turner Gill still strikes me as someone who we need involved in our program no matter the position.

Bo will be here till he sees something better is what i fear. with that i think we need a short list of Nebraska football program related guys ready for any situation.

I love Turner, but he will not come back to nebraska unless it as HC and that's will never happen.

It will never happen, but Turner could win at Nebraska.

I disagree. Remember the tears and the pain in his eyes when he quit? Where did he go after the 2004 season? Then passed over again for Bo? Nah, he's done emotionally with Nebraska. Damn shame too

Says who? The tears and pain were caused by Pedersen and Callahan, which every single person associated with our program understands are not to be associated with Nebraska, but on their own. And of course he got passed over for Bo - Bo was the obviously better hire. Turner is a great man, and I don't know him personally but I'd wager that he's understanding of all of this and still fond of his alma mater before I'd ever guess that he's "done emotionally" with NU.

nail in the coffin was getting passed over by Tom for Bo. Says me.

I had a conversation with my dad awhile back about the Pelini/Gill hiring possibility and came up with a theory on the matter. My dad thought I had a valid point so here goes. As we all know, Osborne has said his reason for hiring Pelini was due to his defensive background since NU's defense was at its worst, historically speaking, he felt like he made the right call. Valid reason. Makes sense.

Enter, my theory. As we all know, Osborne and Gill are good friends. Osborne was in Gill's wedding as his best man. Gill mentioned a couple years ago when he was coaching at KU that they still talk at least once a month. Having established the essence of this relationship, I'm of the opinion that maybe Osborne was protecting Gill when he chose Pelini instead? Why? Because of the way Steve Pederson handled the firing of Frank Solich. It left a bad taste in Osborne's mouth seeing another good friend of his get put through the ringer, at his alma mater, nonetheless.

I can't help but think that Osborne might prefer to see his former players succeed elsewhere as coaches so that they can still come back to their alma mater without any guilt or hard feelings because of a failed coaching attempt at their alma mater, a la Solich? Feelings get hurt in this business and while it is a tough business, and tough decisions have to be made sometimes, there are still personal feelings involved, like it or not. I know Osborne really wanted Solich to be honored in front of the crowd at Memorial Stadium when he was inducted into the Nebraska Hall of Fame this past year, but due to Frank's commitment to Ohio, it just wasn't in the cards. I think that was Tom's way of reaching out so that the healing between NU and Solich could begin.

Because of his relationship to Solich and seeing what he went through, Tom feared Gill might be put through the same situation if he fell short of fan expectations. Tom also knew his tenure as AD would be short, putting uncertainty in Gill's future if the next AD saw fit to get rid of him, a la Pederson-Solich.

All of this is 100% speculation on my part. I'm probably 100% wrong too. :D

FYI, when Devaney retired from coaching, two of his former players tossed their name in the hat to replace him; Warren Powers and Monte Kiffin. My dad recalls hearing through the grapevine that neither Kiffin or Powers were too happy when Devaney chose Osborne to succeed him. Powers and Kiffin left Osborne's staff after the '76 season to pursue coaching opportunities elsewhere. Maybe Devaney was protecting his own former players, in case they didn't meet expectations? Afterall, Osborne never played for NU. :dunno

To sum up my theory, maybe by protecting the players they're close to, it gives them a reason to feel like they can always visit their alma mater without any guilt, ill will, etc. due to a past failed coaching stint at their alma mater? Again, I understand all parties involved realize the business aspect of coaching, but as I already pointed out, personal feelings are also involved, especially when you consider the people you're potentially firing are alumni. It happens everywhere, so why shouldn't it happen at NU? Duly noted. Again, it's a business. But knowing Tom like we do, it wouldn't surprise me if his outlook on the matter jibes with some of the points I've raised above in my theory?

• Fire 1

If he had someone talk to them...............he needs to go! Arkansas is not a better program than Nebraska, if he's gonna leave at least go to a better program. Not something that's equal or less than equal of Nebraska. I have a feeling we are stuck with him now, especially after his coaching job in the CCG. If he doesn't want to be here, quit and go some place else, but do it soon so we can get someone to replace you that is a good replacement.

I like Bo. but at the end of the day i do agree. we need a someone who knows and loves Nebraska. Turner Gill still strikes me as someone who we need involved in our program no matter the position.

Bo will be here till he sees something better is what i fear. with that i think we need a short list of Nebraska football program related guys ready for any situation.

I love Turner, but he will not come back to nebraska unless it as HC and that's will never happen.

And he's a head coach at what major college right now? Oh that's right. A college no one has ever heard of. I'm guessing he'd make more as an assistant at NU than as a head coach for Whatever College.

Liberty is looking to move up to the FBS in the next year or two. I really doubt he's going to give that up to be an assistant.

And he's a head coach at what major college right now? Oh that's right. A college no one has ever heard of. I'm guessing he'd make more as an assistant at NU than as a head coach for Whatever College.

I just signed up for some online courses here. Now you're telling me this is not a good school?

Whatever College is ok but they are not as good as South Harmon Institute of Technology.

I don't see why it has to be a "Nebraska guy". It's nice to be able to hire guys who have Nebraska ties AND are really good coaches, but I'm more concerned with the latter of the two than I am about the former.

• Fire 1

I don't see why it has to be a "Nebraska guy". It's nice to be able to hire guys who have Nebraska ties AND are really good coaches, but I'm more concerned with the latter of the two than I am about the former.

Pray Turner never becomes our coach. He's exactly where he needs to be.

If BO is trying to better himself good. My personal experience, you never really know how good/bad you have it at your job until a sure offer comes along.......Maybe he gets "the offer" and realizes NU isn't that bad. Perspective in clarity is good.

In regards to oversigning, it works. NU has 20+ OL on schollie and 3 walk-ons starting to include a defensive tackle switched to center. Basically same with the DL. We recruit by the numbers, guys do not work out and we are screwed. SEC over recruits by 15 guys, enough pan out to have a pretty complete class each year. Quality depth each year and at each position. We recruit, X number do not pan out and we wait until next year. Recruit some more and 1-2 on OL work out and now we have 2 fresh and 3 seniors for example.

So how bad is it when we undersign by 5 guys? Bo's roster management has been pathetic. As questionable as his recruiting results have been - the fact that there are 5-6 scholly's sitting there for walk-ons is unacceptable. We are penalizing ourselves almost as much as the NCAA penalized USC. He can fix recruiting, but he needs to fix his roster management first. No way we should have only signed 17 last year. Small class my a$$. We missed on a few big fish and didn't have anything there to back it up.

And the SEC rules have changed dramatically in the last couple of years. It will begin to even out shortly.

• Fire 1

So how bad is it when we undersign by 5 guys? Bo's roster management has been pathetic. As questionable as his recruiting methods have been - the fact that there are 5-6 scholly's sitting there for walk-ons is unacceptable. We are penalizing ourselves almost as much as the NCAA penalized USC. He can fix recruiting, but he needs to fix his roster management first. No way we should have only signed 17 last year. Small class my a$$. We missed on a few big fish and didn't have anything there to back it up.

While you are probably right, I still don't have a problem with getting scholarships to hard-working walk-ons who have contributed big-time like Spencer Long, Choi, Justin Jackson, and Brett Maher. To me, it's appropriate to award those guys with a scholarship because at the same time, you have highly rated scholarship guys that come here and never pan out. A lot of them have never seen the field but have still had their entire college education paid for. You tell me who deserves that scholarship more.

While you are probably right, I still don't have a problem with getting scholarships to hard-working walk-ons who have contributed big-time like Spencer Long, Choi, Justin Jackson, and Brett Maher. To me, it's appropriate to award those guys with a scholarship because at the same time, you have highly rated scholarship guys that come here and never pan out. A lot of them have never seen the field but have still had their entire college education paid for. You tell me who deserves that scholarship more.

That's of course the morally acceptable and ethically sound thing to do. But throw that out the door for a second and look at things just purely from a wins/losses thing (which we all can admit is what us fans care about 95% of the time). Bottom line, those guys weren't quiting the team w/out their scholly. They weren't going to all of a sudden quit performing at the same level without their scholly. So from a football standpoint, purely wins/losses, only considering what is best for the football team itself - those were "wasted" scholarships. (i will get blasted for saying that but at the end of the day, from a business sense...that's the truth).

Let's say 33% of players pan out to make the 2 deep...do we sacrifice those 2 guys per year by undersigning like last year? Depth is a serious issue on this team - and plenty of it are recruiting misses - but the basis behind oversigning is to reduce the impact of your misses - so in that same way undersigning magnifies your misses...which is what we saw this year on the DL. It needs fixed. And it's likely going to have to cost a few walk-ons their scholarships. But at the end of the day, while maybe 33% of scholly players make the 2-deep....only 5-10% of walkons probably crack that list. I'd rather play the odds.

That's of course the morally acceptable and ethically sound thing to do. But throw that out the door for a second and look at things just purely from a wins/losses thing (which we all can admit is what us fans care about 95% of the time). Bottom line, those guys weren't quiting the team w/out their scholly. They weren't going to all of a sudden quit performing at the same level without their scholly. So from a football standpoint, purely wins/losses, only considering what is best for the football team itself - those were "wasted" scholarships. (i will get blasted for saying that but at the end of the day, from a business sense...that's the truth).

I absolutely won't blast you for saying that. If that's the way that the coach wanted to do it, I wouldn't have any problem with it whatsoever. I just LOVE how Bo currently awards scholarships to walk-ons who are integral parts of the team. Like you said, those guys are there for the long haul regardless, but I'm sure it makes an enormous difference in those guys' lives when they get and unexpected full-ride scholarship to pay for the final year or two of college.