Offensive Identity....

What is it that our opponents look at our offense and say, "this is Nebraska, this is what they do..."

My personal feeling is that under Beck, we have no true offensive Identity. What is the guy trying to do? It's frustrating for me because we have so many weapons.

I would like us to be able to say we can do this...stop us.

What are your thoughts? Discuss....

• Fire 1

We've gone through this topic several times on the board (it's fine you brought it up, OP - it's always a good topic for discussion).

I think identity has been a major concern among Nebraska fans for a long time. Personally, I don't think it's so much that we have too many plays or options in our arsenal. I think the problem is what you eluded to - when the game is on the line, what is Nebraska good at and what do they feel most confident relying on? The Rose Bowl is a perfect example - Stanford and MSU lined up on a 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. Almost everyone in the stadium knew what was coming - a run up the middle. Stanford just didn't get it done, but, it's something they're typically very good at and rely upon.

Now, I absolutely disdain the idea that our mentality should be 'line up and force the other team to stop us.' An offense needs to have things it's good at, like I said, but you also need to confuse a defense and attack their weak spots. In ways, taking what the defense gives you. There has to be a balance of both what you're good at and what the defense gives you. Does Nebraska know what it's good at? Sometimes, I get the feeling they don't think they do.

Mark me up as one who is totally confused with the fans obsession over an offensive "identity". I just don't get it. We were a top 20 rushing attack in the country last year. We also have one of the best (if not the best) stable of WRs in the Big 10. Now, we had issues with injury at QB last year which limited our ability in the passing game. But, Bo and Beck want to establish the run using various versions of the option and power running with a dual threat QB. Then the passing game feeds off of that.

I have absolutely no problem with that plan.

I find this whole "identity" only becomes an issue when fans sit around drinking a beer and they get frustrated because they can't just say...."we run an option offense".

• Fire 2

Mark me up as one who is totally confused with the fans obsession over an offensive "identity". I just don't get it. We were a top 20 rushing attack in the country last year. We also have one of the best (if not the best) stable of WRs in the Big 10. Now, we had issues with injury at QB last year which limited our ability in the passing game. But, Bo and Beck want to establish the run using various versions of the option and power running with a dual threat QB. Then the passing game feeds off of that.

I find this whole "identity" only becomes an issue when fans sit around drinking a beer and they get frustrated because they can't just say...."we run an option offense".

For me its not that Im unhappy with the style we play, but the play calling. Its almost like hey this play works lets do something else and if he thinks a play is there but it fails to work he will continue to run it, sometimes back to back.

Generally, those are the same people who complain that we pass too much, when we're running about 68% of the time.