20091223_artnl_0012.jpg

Working on a Nica Libre Box Pressed Robusto. 5.5" x 50 ring. Good cigar. Fairly strong for such a little stick. I think I paid $20 for package of five on-line. They'd easily be twice that at a brick and mortar.

• 8 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

There used to be a really good cigar shop in Westroads Mall. Can't remember the name of it. Once ordered a box of "rum dipped" cigars that were super smooth and the manager made me a great deal on an order of what seemed like $50 in cigars. I took a few myself and brought them to my older Brother's Bachelor Party. His best man decided he would sell them $2 a cigar, and we'd split the cost, half going to money raised for the party and I got the other half, I think my cost ran maybe 75 cents a cigar, because he sold them to me at a bargin and since I was buying in bulk. The cigars were super smooth and were a hit.

• 7 months later...

Puffing on a Dominican made Pinar Del Rio 5' x 50 ring, while drinking some Chinese black tea and listening to country music. I got some eclectic interests.

I'm sort of violating the spirit of my Lenten fast with this. I gave up pipe smoking for lent. I've only had three our four cigars this past month. But I feel a bit guilty each time. Oh well. :lol:

• Fire 1

A question for one of you cigar afficianados.

I've got a few Monte Christos and a couple other "Habana" cigars I smuggled into the country about 20 years ago.

These have not been kept in a humidor or controlled conditions. It is typically very dry here in NoCo.

Question- Are they trash now or can they be salvaged? Can they be re-humidified/moistened? Haven't fired one of these up in about 19 years but they were good then. I'm sure if I lit one up today it would fry the whole stick in about 3 seconds.

I've got a few Monte Christos and a couple other "Habana" cigars I smuggled into the country about 20 years ago.

These have not been kept in a humidor or controlled conditions. It is typically very dry here in NoCo.

Question- Are they trash now or can they be salvaged? Can they be re-humidified/moistened? Haven't fired one of these up in about 19 years but they were good then. I'm sure if I lit one up today it would fry the whole stick in about 3 seconds.

I would try to humidity them for a couple months and try them. 70% humidity and temp 70.

I would try to humidity them for a couple months and try them. 70% humidity and temp 70.

I'd be surprise if they're still any good after two decades. But what the heck. It won't cost much to try!

• 1 month later...

Alright NU et al., need some guidance here.

Thinking of getting into the game. I'd be curious to know how often the rest of you smoke. I'm thinking it will be very occasionally for me, but I'd still like to get a decent little starter's collection going.

So I'm actually looking at that cigarsinternational.com you mentioned NU. They've got some decent sticks for the price, it seems like. Glad you tried the Mistakes up there. I was curious if that would be a decent way to get a discount on an otherwise decent product. Seemed like it was a pretty meh smoke, eh?

Here's what I've got picked out so far:

1 - Build your own mega sampler: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/build-own-mega-sampler/2001298/

I opted for the Ramon Bueso Genesis, Romeo y Julieta Media Noche Robusto & Vintage #7.5, and the Excalibur Epicure. Got any advice? Anything I screwed up? You've got to pick one from each tier. REALLY disappointed he's out of stock on those Padillas in tier 3. Would've been the longest in my bundle!

1 - Cohiba Nicaragua & Alec Bradley Tempus Nicaragua: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/51-cohiba-nicaragua-and-alec-bradley-tempus-nicaragua-samplers/1506047/#p-205773

I really just wanted some Cohibas. Don't know much about the Alec Bradleys.

1 - Whitetail Glasstop Humidor: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/whitetail-glasstop-humidor-humidors/1438325/#p-47544

Liked the look of this one and figured a smaller humidor would be just fine for me.

1 - Vertigo Cyclone Lighter: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/vertigo-cyclone-lighter-lighters/1496364/#p-187683

It's a lighter.

Any advice, anybody? If that's a crap pairing for the ten pack, let me know. Or if I made a poor choice in the sampler. It's a bit intimidating trying to sift your way through all these different types. Tried to just pick some solid brands for the most part.

• Plus1 1

Awesome! Sounds like a great start!! I think those samplers are a great deal. You might try www.cigarbid.com too. You can get some good deals bidding on various cigar lots. Fair warning: the bidding thing is addictive. :thumbs:

Also, just for the record I don't claim to be any sort of cigar expert. I have three humidors full of cigars, but I don't take it nearly as seriously as some guys. I just like a good cigar now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

arturo-fuente-rosado-gran-reserva-b.jpg

Having an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva right now: 46 ring x 5.625". I was doing a little humidor maintenance and thought, "what the heck, I haven't had a cigar in a while." So I lit one up. :lol:

Alright NU et al., need some guidance here.

Thinking of getting into the game. I'd be curious to know how often the rest of you smoke. I'm thinking it will be very occasionally for me, but I'd still like to get a decent little starter's collection going.

So I'm actually looking at that cigarsinternational.com you mentioned NU. They've got some decent sticks for the price, it seems like. Glad you tried the Mistakes up there. I was curious if that would be a decent way to get a discount on an otherwise decent product. Seemed like it was a pretty meh smoke, eh?

Here's what I've got picked out so far:

1 - Build your own mega sampler: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/build-own-mega-sampler/2001298/

I opted for the Ramon Bueso Genesis, Romeo y Julieta Media Noche Robusto & Vintage #7.5, and the Excalibur Epicure. Got any advice? Anything I screwed up? You've got to pick one from each tier. REALLY disappointed he's out of stock on those Padillas in tier 3. Would've been the longest in my bundle!

1 - Cohiba Nicaragua & Alec Bradley Tempus Nicaragua: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/51-cohiba-nicaragua-and-alec-bradley-tempus-nicaragua-samplers/1506047/#p-205773

I really just wanted some Cohibas. Don't know much about the Alec Bradleys.

1 - Whitetail Glasstop Humidor: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/whitetail-glasstop-humidor-humidors/1438325/#p-47544

Liked the look of this one and figured a smaller humidor would be just fine for me.

1 - Vertigo Cyclone Lighter: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/vertigo-cyclone-lighter-lighters/1496364/#p-187683

It's a lighter.

Any advice, anybody? If that's a crap pairing for the ten pack, let me know. Or if I made a poor choice in the sampler. It's a bit intimidating trying to sift your way through all these different types. Tried to just pick some solid brands for the most part.

Alec Bradley has good cigars. So does CAO, hard to find a bad one IMO. Drew Estate is hard to beat too.

Thanks NU and Sgt! Can be a bit intimidating jumping in head first on this, but that's the only way to do it.

It is done! Hoyo Excalibur Epicure wound up being my first smoke tonight. One of the lesser knowns from that combo I got above.

It was a bit touch and go, because I was a still in the process of doing the initial humidor maintenance to get it up and going. Nothing had been humidified properly... hell, it spent a bunch of time on a dusty, dry, hot UPS truck before it got here and then sat around in my apartment while I got all the necessary stuff for my humidor. Got it up and going tonight though! Will get some pics when I get it checked out tomorrow.

Pretty decent smoke, IMO. Quite peppery at first but became a lot smoother later. Thoroughly enjoyable. Smoked it all the way to the nub. Thought it was interesting how the stick warmed up near the end and the draws became warm...

• Fire 1