Move over Gay rights..."we're next"

:major eyeroll:

Even if pedophelia is exactly the same in nature as heterosexual/homosexual orientation, it's very simple why there is a barrier on the so-called slippery slope.

Gay relationships are allowed because they have rights and they are not infringing on other people's rights. Pedophile relationships are not allowed because they infringe on the rights of children. That is how rights work. You are supposed to have every right to be free as a human being to do what you will, until it comes into conflict with someone else's.

• Fire 3

This isn't going to get anywhere, this article could easily be false, and to just push the far right and religious argument.

Allen West has been duped before, a while back he wrote a piece similar to this when he was shopping at Walmart and before he could check out with his adult beverage of choice a new cashier who happened to be Middle Eastern took over the register, and a sign was hung saying he couldn't sell alcohol. Mr. West jumped on the sharia law comes to walmart wagon, wrote his piece to start more fear mongering, it was later pointed out to him that the cashier wasn't 21... Dude is an idiot.

Yeah, the quality of the opining in the source notwithstanding...this is something that can be compared with and associated with, for example, people with violent tendencies and other criminals. (That's a whole 'nother fascinating, nascent topic in its own right...)

From the Harvard Medical School

Consensus now exists that pedophilia is a distinct sexual orientation, not something that develops in someone who is homosexual or heterosexual. Some people with pedophilic urges are also attracted to adults, and may act only on the latter urges. Because people with pedophilic urges tend to be attracted to children of a particular gender, they are sometimes described in the literature as heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual pedophiles. Roughly 9% to 40% of pedophiles are homosexual in their orientation toward children but that is not the same as saying they are homosexual. Homosexual adults are no more likely than heterosexuals to abuse children.

Note that this is about understanding. That article is headlined with "There is no cure, so the focus is on protecting children."

In contrast to being gay...whether or not someone has chosen to be gay is hardly important. More power to them. Decidedly not so in this case. But, if we are armed with the knowledge that pedophiles do not have a choice in how they are, then our approach towards them -- both culturally and legally -- will necessarily evolve. In this case, acting on it is clearly not okay. People who can't help being a pedophile (as ridiculous as that may sound, that's what the understanding is coming to) are well and truly cursed. So, what do you do with them? Obviously, they require attention, so we can help them manage and not act on it. But perhaps also, with this understanding, pure stigma ("Oh, my god. How can you be that way?") can transform into compassion ("Oh, my god. You're that way. How can we help, for everyone's sake?"), because they are people, too. And if we're trying to address a problem, it's better for as much to be out in the open as possible.

Put another way, there's a small (but unknown) chance we all have of having a kid who grows up to be a pedophile -- through no fault of anybody's, save for a truly cruel roll of the die. If that were to happen, would you love them any less? Could you? Or would you instead want it out in the open and managed with the best resources we have available, so they can still have some semblance of a life, while not hurting anybody?

:facepalm:

Do you honestly think pedophilia has anything to do with being gay?

If it's between same gender, yeah, good chance of it.

No it doesn't. You are so far off base.

I have seen studies where male children are not more likely to be molested by men than female children.

Being gay does not make you a child molester and that is an absolute idiotic connection that homophobic people try to make.

• Fire 2

I have seen studies where male children are not more likely to be molested by men than female children.

Being gay does not make you a child molester and that is an absolute idiotic connection that homophobic people try to make.

I'm pretty sure he was being pedantic. If someone were a pedophile and gay, then yes them being gay has something to do with it exactly the same way being staright does. They more than likely acted in accordance with their orientation. At least I hope that's what he meant.

I'm pretty sure he was being pedantic. If someone were a pedophile and gay, then yes them being gay has something to do with it exactly the same way being staright does. They more than likely acted in accordance with their orientation. At least I hope that's what he meant.

What???

His comment implied that being gay made you more likely to be a child molester. There is no other explanation for the comment. And, that is flat out wrong.

What???

His comment implied that being gay made you more likely to be a child molester. There is no other explanation for the comment. And, that is flat out wrong.

No, he didn't. It's semantics. I'mstruggling to explain things today... The act didn't happen because of orientation, but to an extent as a result of it. A straight pedophile is far lessy likely to sexually assualt a minor of the same sex and vis versa (at least I would think). Dumb argument...

I don't disagree with your original statement of no relation. Frankly that fact that people still spew that filth pisses me off to no end.

A straight pedophile is far lessy likely to sexually assualt a minor of the same sex and vis versa (at least I would think). Dumb argument...

I disagree with this, actually. Pedophilia is a different animal than sexual orientation, and generally (imo) has much more to do with power than sex, so the sex of the victim doesn't matter much.

Interesting that in ancient Greece there were normal, socially accepted temporary pederastic relationships between men and young boys, that were almost always in addition to the heterosexual marriages of those men.