Bowl Projections

GOAT

Did anyone catch the BTN Live yesterday? They had a segment on bowl projections and Gerry Dinardo was asked if a win against Iowa would save Nebraska's season. Gerry got really agitated, said it was already a lost season and how we had fired a coach that had no less than nine wins. The other guy had the last word and pointed out Bo's behavior this past weekend suggesting that it was probably more than just about wins. Gerry's reaction was kind of puzzling to me. Sure the season doesn't look good from a W-L standpoint but I can't see how finishing the season with wins over two top 10 teams and guaranteeing bowl eligibility wouldn't be extremely positive for the program. Nothing along that line from Dinardo. Thinking about it overnight I think his anger was probably due to the prospect of us beating Iowa and what effect that might have on the B1G. If the unlikely scenario plays out that an undefeated OSU loses to a one loss Iowa team in the CCG then the B1G might be left out of the playoffs. The other possibility is that OSU has one loss going into the CCG and needs style points against an undefeated Iowa to make it to the playoffs. We'll probably need to play a clean game against Iowa since I doubt many flags will go our way.

Last week on Big Red Wrap-up, they had Blake Lawrence, Jay Foreman and Barrett Ruud on the show. Three former Blackshirts. Kugler asked if winning out including winning a bowl game would make this a successful season. Lawrence kind of ducked the question but the other two flat out said that wouldn't make it a success. They all generally said it would definitely be a good finish and hopefully lead to better things next year but none would call it a successful season.

Now, you can semantic this one to death. If you want to argue that not successful isn't the same as lost then have it it. But I would have to agree with the not successful judgement. However, it would definitely be a great finish and hopefully we don't see a repeat of the first half of the season ever again.

I didn't have a problem with Dinardo's opinion but I found the lack of anything positive such as the bolded to be strange. It was almost like he would be upset if we beat Iowa. He just seemed oddly irritated but he also misspoke earlier and called some B1G coach Bob Stoops. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

A 6-6 season is a massive failure no matter how you look at it. But one of the best possible 6-6 seasons is to end the year with a winning streak that includes beating a couple of undefeated, top 10 teams. That will give momentum for next year and for recruiting. We have to remember that we are a long way from beating Iowa and winning a bowl game. We have only won two in a row so far.

I take it there are a lot of fans who will be excited to see a 5-7 team play in a Bowl?

If you ask me there are about 10 too many Bowls. I wouldn't mind going to the Smurf Bowl just for laughs, I guess. I still think you need to be at least 7-5 or 8-4 to say you earned something.

There is excitement now because we have an opportunity to finish strong. If we lose to Iowa, I doubt there will be a great deal of excitement to see the Huskers in a bowl.

I take it there are a lot of fans who will be excited to see a 5-7 team play in a Bowl?

If you ask me there are about 10 too many Bowls. I wouldn't mind going to the Smurf Bowl just for laughs, I guess. I still think you need to be at least 7-5 or 8-4 to say you earned something.

There is excitement now because we have an opportunity to finish strong. If we lose to Iowa, I doubt there will be a great deal of excitement to see the Huskers in a bowl.

Yeah ,I agree....a strong finish would really help this team's confidence. Still think there are too many Bowls if .500 teams are getting in.

Whatever you think, the reality is that a 6-6 Husker team is definitely in a bowl, and a 5-7 team may be. Not sure I see that much excitement, but there is interest as to when and where a 13th Husker game would be. A few are excited about the prospect of a nearby, easy to attend game for them. That's about it. Put me in the "interested" category, and I'll definitely watch whenever it is.

If we win Friday, I will be elated. A 6-6 team that's beaten two undefeated Top 10 teams is definitely worthy of a bowl bid.

5-7, on the other hand...

If we go 1-11 and make it to a bowl, I'll be giddy. The record going into the bowl carries no weight for me. Obviously I want to beat Iowa, so hopefully we are 6-6.

I'll agree with you that there are too many bowls. Same reason they can't seem to stop expanding the ncaa bb tourney. More games, more money. Also sad when traditional bowl names get replaced by corporate sponsor names. Peach bowl becomes Chick-Fil-A Bowl. Stupid.

Give me an 8-team playoff, a 2nd tier NIT tourney, and a 3rd tier Tourney. That's 24 teams. Then the rest of the teams with winning records can play in 16 to 18 exhibition bowl games if they want to.

There probably are too many Bowl games, unless it's the one in your city.
I was pretty excited that the Music City Bowl here in NashVegas announced
the adding of the B1G.
The bowl is a way for our family to enjoy one last game of the year together.
Hoping the Big Red gets a shot at coming out.​

GBR !

I think we have too many bowls and I think teams should have minimum 7 wins to get into one. That is the college football fan in me. I think the bowl system needs to be reset and reformatted.

The Husker fan in me doesn't care if we are 0-12, I wanna go to a bowl game. Another chance to see Nebraska play is aces in my book.

Yet when I say at 5-7 we shouldn't go to a bowl I usually get met with I'm a bad fan or that I just shouldn't watch. My personal opinion of the bowl system isn't mutually exclusive with my Husker fandom but it gets lumped in with it during discussion.

• Fire 1

I think we have too many bowls and I think trams should have minimum 7 wins to get into one. That is the college football fan in me. I think the boel system needs to be reset and reformatted.

The Husker fan in me doesn't care if we are 0-12, I wanna go to a bowl game. Another chance to see Nebraska play is aces in my book.

Yet when I say at 5-7 we shouldn't go to a bowl I usually get met with I'm a bad fan or that I just shouldn't watch. My personal opinion of the bowl system isn't mutually exclusive with my Husker fandom but it gets lumped in with it during discussion.

Dude, you's and me's are like peas and carrots.

• Fire 1

I think we have too many bowls and I think trams should have minimum 7 wins to get into one. That is the college football fan in me. I think the boel system needs to be reset and reformatted.

Mostly it's because in every thread about bowl chances and projections, there's a few people who come in and hijack it with their meaningless views on what they think the bowl system should be like. Really, we've heard it all, and many of you are just repeating yourself in every freaking bowl thread, and who really gives a damn about what you believe? Can't there be one thread where we stick to the topic and actually talk about possible bowl games, and how each week's results affect them? And if people are excited or interested, why do some (not specifically you) need to piss in their punch bowl?

Go start a thread about how you think there are too many bowl games and 5-7 teams shouldn't be in, and what the system should be. I promise I won't come in and call anyone a bad fan, which I haven't done anyway.

• Fire 1