Bowl Projections

GOAT

Any way the stars could align and we play Florida State?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14135689/college-football-bowl-projections-week-11

New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New YorkSaturday, Dec. 26, 3:30 p.m. (ABC)

Schlabach: Pittsburgh vs. NorthwesternMcMurphy: Florida State vs. Nebraska

That would be awesome.

My Dad is an FSU fan/Anti Nebraska fan so getting a shot to make him eat crow would be wonderful.

Any way the stars could align and we play Florida State?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14135689/college-football-bowl-projections-week-11

New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New YorkSaturday, Dec. 26, 3:30 p.m. (ABC)

Schlabach: Pittsburgh vs. NorthwesternMcMurphy: Florida State vs. Nebraska

That would be awesome.

My Dad is an FSU fan/Anti Nebraska fan so getting a shot to make him eat crow would be wonderful.

How did you come from such a broken house? :dunno

Did anyone catch the BTN Live yesterday? They had a segment on bowl projections and Gerry Dinardo was asked if a win against Iowa would save Nebraska's season. Gerry got really agitated, said it was already a lost season and how we had fired a coach that had no less than nine wins. The other guy had the last word and pointed out Bo's behavior this past weekend suggesting that it was probably more than just about wins. Gerry's reaction was kind of puzzling to me. Sure the season doesn't look good from a W-L standpoint but I can't see how finishing the season with wins over two top 10 teams and guaranteeing bowl eligibility wouldn't be extremely positive for the program. Nothing along that line from Dinardo. Thinking about it overnight I think his anger was probably due to the prospect of us beating Iowa and what effect that might have on the B1G. If the unlikely scenario plays out that an undefeated OSU loses to a one loss Iowa team in the CCG then the B1G might be left out of the playoffs. The other possibility is that OSU has one loss going into the CCG and needs style points against an undefeated Iowa to make it to the playoffs. We'll probably need to play a clean game against Iowa since I doubt many flags will go our way.

• Fire 1

Did anyone catch the BTN Live yesterday? They had a segment on bowl projections and Gerry Dinardo was asked if a win against Iowa would save Nebraska's season. Gerry got really agitated, said it was already a lost season and how we had fired a coach that had no less than nine wins. The other guy had the last word and pointed out Bo's behavior this past weekend suggesting that it was probably more than just about wins. Gerry's reaction was kind of puzzling to me. Sure the season doesn't look good from a W-L standpoint but I can't see how finishing the season with wins over two top 10 teams and guaranteeing bowl eligibility wouldn't be extremely positive for the program. Nothing along that line from Dinardo. Thinking about it overnight I think his anger was probably due to the prospect of us beating Iowa and what effect that might have on the B1G. If the unlikely scenario plays out that an undefeated OSU loses to a one loss Iowa team in the CCG then the B1G might be left out of the playoffs. The other possibility is that OSU has one loss going into the CCG and needs style points against an undefeated Iowa to make it to the playoffs. We'll probably need to play a clean game against Iowa since I doubt many flags will go our way.

Last week on Big Red Wrap-up, they had Blake Lawrence, Jay Foreman and Barrett Ruud on the show. Three former Blackshirts. Kugler asked if winning out including winning a bowl game would make this a successful season. Lawrence kind of ducked the question but the other two flat out said that wouldn't make it a success. They all generally said it would definitely be a good finish and hopefully lead to better things next year but none would call it a successful season.

Now, you can semantic this one to death. If you want to argue that not successful isn't the same as lost then have it it. But I would have to agree with the not successful judgement. However, it would definitely be a great finish and hopefully we don't see a repeat of the first half of the season ever again.

Last week on Big Red Wrap-up, they had Blake Lawrence, Jay Foreman and Barrett Ruud on the show. Three former Blackshirts. Kugler asked if winning out including winning a bowl game would make this a successful season. Lawrence kind of ducked the question but the other two flat out said that wouldn't make it a success. They all generally said it would definitely be a good finish and hopefully lead to better things next year but none would call it a successful season.

Now, you can semantic this one to death. If you want to argue that not successful isn't the same as lost then have it it. But I would have to agree with the not successful judgement. However, it would definitely be a great finish and hopefully we don't see a repeat of the first half of the season ever again.

I would agree with that. Beating Iowa and winning a bowl game means we went 4-0 down the stretch run and beat two previously-unbeaten, top-ten teams.

But that doesn't make the season successful. It would show that the season got better at the end, but successful? No way.

Any way you shake it, 6-6 is NOT a successful season. You may have beaten an 8-0 #7 and an 11-0 #5 to get to 6-6, but you also dropped one to a 1-6 team, you also lost on the final play to 4 other teams.

Jeckyl and Hyde and what have you. Beating two top ten teams would be huge, but we have no shelf to set that award on.

• Fire 1

I didn't have a problem with Dinardo's opinion but I found the lack of anything positive such as the bolded to be strange. It was almost like he would be upset if we beat Iowa. He just seemed oddly irritated but he also misspoke earlier and called some B1G coach Bob Stoops. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

So apparently the APR isn't quite the deal that has been previously reported. Looks like no one knows how 5-7 teams will be selected. At any rate, I can't imagine Nebraska not being basically the first team selected no matter how they do it.

Keith Martin, the NCAA’s managing director, said the final tiebreaker (Bylaw 18.7.2.1.4) indicates that if 5-7 teams are needed, the top five teams in the FBS with the best APR would be selected. Those five teams -- Wisconsin, Northwestern, Duke, Michigan and Stanford -- have already reached six wins.

Bowl and conference sources told ESPN that their understanding of the APR rule is that it’s supposed to rank the available 5-7 teams by APR. The NCAA disagrees.
There are currently 62 bowl-eligible teams with 32 teams still able to reach six wins. But since a number of those 32 teams play each other down the stretch or need to pull off huge upsets to reach six wins, multiple 5-7 teams could be needed to fill all the bowls.
“The whole situation is very frustrating,” a source said.
The most frustrating aspect, sources said, are all the unknowns concerning how the 5-7 teams are selected.
If two bowls need 5-7 teams, do the No. 1 and No. 2 best APR teams automatically get the bids or does the bowl have the option of selecting any team among the top five APR teams?
If more than one bowl needs a 5-7 team, how do you decide which bowl picks first? The Big Ten, Big 12 and American are among the conferences that may not have enough six win teams to fill their bowl commitments, so does a 5-7 team from their league with the best APR automatically fill one of their slots -- even if they’re not among the top five available APR teams?

ESPN

I didn't have a problem with Dinardo's opinion but I found the lack of anything positive such as the bolded to be strange. It was almost like he would be upset if we beat Iowa. He just seemed oddly irritated but he also misspoke earlier and called some B1G coach Bob Stoops. Maybe he was just having a bad da

Maybe I am mistaken but didn't Dinardo coach at Iowa or Northwestern? I think he is definately a Big Ten guy and of course don't fool yourself: Nebraska is NOT Big Ten to most Big Ten people at this point. We are a 'guest' or 'associate' member at best and we don't sit at the main table. The Big Ten did not invite Nebraska in to the league to have us win titles, etc. We were invited to participate as a junior member for the primary purpose of taking advantage of our naitonal reputation and 'brand' . In my opinion, the Big Ten was literally rescued from the ash heap of once upon a time college football prestige/powers conferences. The Big Ten before Nebraska joined was headed down the path of the former Southwest Conference.

In addition to the above, in my view, Ohio State got into the playoffs last year because of Nebraska's presence in the conference. We added mightily to the national perception of the strength of the league and Ohio State's power as the champion thereof. It didn't hurt that TO was on the committee and certainly his opinion of teams and their relative strengths had to help. Tom knew that helping Ohio State also helps Nebraska in the long run as Nebraska gains by winning games in a strong conference and not a weak one. Perception is reality in the voting for the top teams. Public opinion and the opinions of those who cast votes and write stories and report the sporting news all carry great weight and factor heavily into the fortunes of individual players, coaches, schools as well as conferences.

So apparently the APR isn't quite the deal that has been previously reported. Looks like no one knows how 5-7 teams will be selected. At any rate, I can't imagine Nebraska not being basically the first team selected no matter how they do it.

Keith Martin, the NCAA’s managing director, said the final tiebreaker (Bylaw 18.7.2.1.4) indicates that if 5-7 teams are needed, the top five teams in the FBS with the best APR would be selected. Those five teams -- Wisconsin, Northwestern, Duke, Michigan and Stanford -- have already reached six wins.

Bowl and conference sources told ESPN that their understanding of the APR rule is that it’s supposed to rank the available 5-7 teams by APR. The NCAA disagrees.
There are currently 62 bowl-eligible teams with 32 teams still able to reach six wins. But since a number of those 32 teams play each other down the stretch or need to pull off huge upsets to reach six wins, multiple 5-7 teams could be needed to fill all the bowls.
“The whole situation is very frustrating,” a source said.
The most frustrating aspect, sources said, are all the unknowns concerning how the 5-7 teams are selected.
If two bowls need 5-7 teams, do the No. 1 and No. 2 best APR teams automatically get the bids or does the bowl have the option of selecting any team among the top five APR teams?
If more than one bowl needs a 5-7 team, how do you decide which bowl picks first? The Big Ten, Big 12 and American are among the conferences that may not have enough six win teams to fill their bowl commitments, so does a 5-7 team from their league with the best APR automatically fill one of their slots -- even if they’re not among the top five available APR teams?

ESPN

I read that, and my take on it was the same as yours - we're in, easily, if they take any 5-7 teams.