Bowl Projections

GOAT

Did anyone catch the BTN Live yesterday? They had a segment on bowl projections and Gerry Dinardo was asked if a win against Iowa would save Nebraska's season. Gerry got really agitated, said it was already a lost season and how we had fired a coach that had no less than nine wins. The other guy had the last word and pointed out Bo's behavior this past weekend suggesting that it was probably more than just about wins. Gerry's reaction was kind of puzzling to me. Sure the season doesn't look good from a W-L standpoint but I can't see how finishing the season with wins over two top 10 teams and guaranteeing bowl eligibility wouldn't be extremely positive for the program. Nothing along that line from Dinardo. Thinking about it overnight I think his anger was probably due to the prospect of us beating Iowa and what effect that might have on the B1G. If the unlikely scenario plays out that an undefeated OSU loses to a one loss Iowa team in the CCG then the B1G might be left out of the playoffs. The other possibility is that OSU has one loss going into the CCG and needs style points against an undefeated Iowa to make it to the playoffs. We'll probably need to play a clean game against Iowa since I doubt many flags will go our way.

Last week on Big Red Wrap-up, they had Blake Lawrence, Jay Foreman and Barrett Ruud on the show. Three former Blackshirts. Kugler asked if winning out including winning a bowl game would make this a successful season. Lawrence kind of ducked the question but the other two flat out said that wouldn't make it a success. They all generally said it would definitely be a good finish and hopefully lead to better things next year but none would call it a successful season.

Now, you can semantic this one to death. If you want to argue that not successful isn't the same as lost then have it it. But I would have to agree with the not successful judgement. However, it would definitely be a great finish and hopefully we don't see a repeat of the first half of the season ever again.

I would agree with that. Beating Iowa and winning a bowl game means we went 4-0 down the stretch run and beat two previously-unbeaten, top-ten teams.

But that doesn't make the season successful. It would show that the season got better at the end, but successful? No way.

It would show improvement as the season went on...which goes to cover one of the knocks against Pelini-led teams in the past, that they faded down the stretch instead of got better.

Did anyone catch the BTN Live yesterday? They had a segment on bowl projections and Gerry Dinardo was asked if a win against Iowa would save Nebraska's season. Gerry got really agitated, said it was already a lost season and how we had fired a coach that had no less than nine wins. The other guy had the last word and pointed out Bo's behavior this past weekend suggesting that it was probably more than just about wins. Gerry's reaction was kind of puzzling to me. Sure the season doesn't look good from a W-L standpoint but I can't see how finishing the season with wins over two top 10 teams and guaranteeing bowl eligibility wouldn't be extremely positive for the program. Nothing along that line from Dinardo. Thinking about it overnight I think his anger was probably due to the prospect of us beating Iowa and what effect that might have on the B1G. If the unlikely scenario plays out that an undefeated OSU loses to a one loss Iowa team in the CCG then the B1G might be left out of the playoffs. The other possibility is that OSU has one loss going into the CCG and needs style points against an undefeated Iowa to make it to the playoffs. We'll probably need to play a clean game against Iowa since I doubt many flags will go our way.

Last week on Big Red Wrap-up, they had Blake Lawrence, Jay Foreman and Barrett Ruud on the show. Three former Blackshirts. Kugler asked if winning out including winning a bowl game would make this a successful season. Lawrence kind of ducked the question but the other two flat out said that wouldn't make it a success. They all generally said it would definitely be a good finish and hopefully lead to better things next year but none would call it a successful season.

Now, you can semantic this one to death. If you want to argue that not successful isn't the same as lost then have it it. But I would have to agree with the not successful judgement. However, it would definitely be a great finish and hopefully we don't see a repeat of the first half of the season ever again.

I didn't have a problem with Dinardo's opinion but I found the lack of anything positive such as the bolded to be strange. It was almost like he would be upset if we beat Iowa. He just seemed oddly irritated but he also misspoke earlier and called some B1G coach Bob Stoops. Maybe he was just having a bad da

Maybe I am mistaken but didn't Dinardo coach at Iowa or Northwestern? I think he is definately a Big Ten guy and of course don't fool yourself: Nebraska is NOT Big Ten to most Big Ten people at this point. We are a 'guest' or 'associate' member at best and we don't sit at the main table. The Big Ten did not invite Nebraska in to the league to have us win titles, etc. We were invited to participate as a junior member for the primary purpose of taking advantage of our naitonal reputation and 'brand' . In my opinion, the Big Ten was literally rescued from the ash heap of once upon a time college football prestige/powers conferences. The Big Ten before Nebraska joined was headed down the path of the former Southwest Conference.

DiNardo is a Notre Dame grad. He was HC at Vanderbilt then at LSU for about 3-4 years then at Indiana for for like 3 years was fired from LSU and Indiana. I agree that most B1G people don't view Nebraska as a B1G school yet. Heck I think PSU is only now viewed as a real member by most old time guys, and they have been members for 20 years.

Gotcha. That was an extremely disappointing bowl game. Can't blame the Huskers for not showing up in that game.

How could you have much interest in playing a team you annihilated earlier in the season?

Edit: when not a whole lot was on the line...

Was definitely a going-away present from that POS Beebe.

Stew's not exactly on Nebraska's Christmas card list this year.

Right now 18 slots remain.

18 teams are currently one win away from six wins (this includes Nebraska). 11 are two wins away. Two are three wins away.
Half of the one win teams (Utah State, Virginia Tech, Missouri, Middle Tennessee State, Illinois, Auburn, UCONN, Old Dominion, Arizona Strate, Central Michigan, Buffalo, Akron, Colorado State, South Alabama, West Virginia, Tulsa and Florida International) look like winners. There are just as many favorites as underdogs in that group, you figure that splits for the sake of argument.
The two win crew (East Carolina, Indiana, Minnesota, Rice, UTEP, San Jose State, Colorado, Washington, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Louisiana-Lafayette and Texas) are mostly underdogs in their next games.
If Nebraska beats Iowa, obviously this talk is moot. If not, roughly 7-10 teams are going to be bowl eligible immediately leaving the Huskers with 8-11 slots left right off the bat. All of the one win teams have another game left on the schedule except FIU, so let's say of the half that didn't win, half of that group wins their next game. Now we're looking at roughly 3-6 left and that's assuming the two win teams all split their final games.
So yeah. Beat Iowa.
  • Fire 1

Is that with a thought of us going 5-7?

If the PAC is sending their entire conference to a bowl game, does that mean even a 6-6 Nebraska team may be left out?

No chance. Fact, not opinion. The Big 10 has too many spots for that to happen. He's got us losing to Iowa, I'm sure, or he's an idiot.

One thing I notice about bowl projections is that some of these guys don't think through the mutually exclusive possibilities. Like, before the days when there were so many bowls that 5-7 teams could make it, there would be a pair of 5-6 teams that finish against each other and they would have them both in a bowl, ignoring that one of them must lose. Maybe not exactly that but things like that.