NCAA to discuss rule changes next week including Targeting, defenseless players, & linemen downfield (Pop Pass)

Saunders

The committee will discuss possible modifications to the instant replay/targeting rule and will review the experimental rule that allowed medical spotters in the press box during the 2015 season – to consider approving it permanently – during its meeting Feb. 9-11 in Orlando, Florida.
In 2014, the targeting rule was altered to allow the instant-replay official to confirm or overturn a targeting call made by an on-field official. If the replay official found that the targeting penalty should not have been called, the call was overturned, the 15-yard penalty removed and the player allowed to stay in the game.
Committee members plan to talk about whether instant-replay officials should have even more flexibility when it comes to judging whether a targeting foul occurred. Additionally, the committee will consider allowing the instant-replay official to stop the game and enforce a targeting foul that was not detected by the on-field officials.

#FreeNateGerry

• Fire 2

If the linemen down field thing is passed, it will prove how much control certain teams (Alabama) has over the game.

When are they going to talk about fixing the recruiting restrictions (i.e. , abolishing them)?

When are they going to get rid of national signing day?

This is the the on the field committee. They don't cover those things. And for the record, I think they need to enforce the lineman downfield issue, and it really has nothing to do with Alabama.

Lots of teams, including Oregon, do this stuff too.

Saunders,

Alabama and Saban have been at the forefront of this rule change.

The rule right now is you can show "run action" up to 3 yards down field. 9 feet.

Alabama want to switch to 1 yard because (a) they don't run option and play action off of the option, and (b) it allows them to keep safeties in coverage easier. This would have really hurt NU back in the 90s, because drawing a defender out of coverage is a huge benefit to the option.

I can't tell what's happening in Staples' still photo, but if those players are downfield more than 9 feet, they are in violation of the current rule.

No need for change.

Saunders,

Alabama and Saban have been at the forefront of this rule change.

Huh? Bama is doing it too...

The current rule is 3 yards, and teams exploit that all the time, but it's barely ever called. The though process is, by bringing it in to 1 yard (like the NFL) teams won't be able to break it as much.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25313667/no-surprise-saban-says-ole-miss-pop-pass-td-submitted-to-sec-office

If you google it, there are a ton of article about Saban and other defensive coaches complaining about it.

I have no problem enforcing the 3-yard rule, but to move it to 1 yard would handicap one of the most exciting plays in CFB: the play action pass.

I'd rather the rules took a look at rub routes by the offense, more than lineman down field.

Totally agree here. These rubs/picks/blocks have got out of hand in recent years. This needs to be a huge point of emphasis for refs.

I remember that being a big issue a couple years ago in the 2nd bowl game against Georgia. They were picking our LBs left and right with no calls whatsoever

I'd rather the rules took a look at rub routes by the offense, more than lineman down field.

Totally agree here. These rubs/picks/blocks have got out of hand in recent years. This needs to be a huge point of emphasis for refs.

Nearly every team did this multiple time to the huskers last year. It's garbage and obvious as hell.

If they aren't going to call it, guess they are going to have to figure out how to defend it.